997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need help ASAP with jacking car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
dnewc2s is infamous around these parts
Need help ASAP with jacking car

Sorry for the (potentially) dumb question, but...

The manual says there are only two jacking points for the back. If I use the jack to lift the car on the jacking point, where do I put the jack stand? Everything is covered on the bottom, so I can't make out where the frame is.

And, if I try to jack one side and put the jack stand under the other side, 1. that doesn't seem like a good idea, no? 2. even if I get a jack stand under the other side, what do I do for the opposite side (the side with the jack under it).

I've searched the threads and found a thread on renntech where the poster lifts it by the engine. This just doesn't sound right.

Thanks for any/all speedy responses.

FYI- I'm replacing my mufflers.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
I jack from the rear point and insert a jack stand under the front point and under the rear suspension. Then lower the jack carefully as the car settles.
Move the jack to the other side, lift the car and repeat using the same locations for the stands. Of course if you're working on the suspension, you will need another location for the rear stands.

There are some floor jacks now that include a stand, which would also work well for the rear spot but might require two jack/stands.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh yes grasshopper, there is a secret fifth point just aft of the engine centered in the chassis. Care must be taken to locate the jack properly but it is the secret to lifting as well as maintaining safety by keeping a jack stand at this point when working under the car.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3404

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I use a piece of 2x12 about 14" long on top of the jack and then place it under the oil pan. This distributes the weight under the oil pan to the edge of the pan and the cases of the engine. I have used this method many, many times with no problems.

Some will say that this method (never try just the jack under the oil pan, this will break it) or the jacking point that Orient Express shows will put the weight of the car on the engine mounts, which is true, and may damamge them. But this has not happened to me.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting points about the motor mount failures with lifting at engine. Crossmember just seems the right way.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 AM
vexed is infamous around these parts
If you have a 997.1 this pic shows points where you can jack and then put the stand at the jack point or raise it at the jack point and put a stand as shown.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM
LexGrossman is infamous around these parts
You can jack the tab right behind the oil pan as indicated by "X" in vexed's picture. Rather than using cross member (which is fine), I would use the jack pads located right front of the rear wheels for placing the car on jack stands.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 PM
ok...uncle

Got the car up, (thanks guys) but now the bolts holding the mufflers don't have enough room above them to slide them out. There's some silver shielding about 3/4" above each screw that can't be moved. How the heck do you pull these bolts out to slide the mufflers out?!?!?!?

Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
you have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the mounting plate to the car first.

you cant get those long bolts out as you have found out.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:13 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dnewc2s
Sorry for the (potentially) dumb question, but...

The manual says there are only two jacking points for the back. If I use the jack to lift the car on the jacking point, where do I put the jack stand? Everything is covered on the bottom, so I can't make out where the frame is.

And, if I try to jack one side and put the jack stand under the other side, 1. that doesn't seem like a good idea, no? 2. even if I get a jack stand under the other side, what do I do for the opposite side (the side with the jack under it).

I've searched the threads and found a thread on renntech where the poster lifts it by the engine. This just doesn't sound right.

Thanks for any/all speedy responses.

FYI- I'm replacing my mufflers.
Here is reference I have for this.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dnewc2s
Got the car up, (thanks guys) but now the bolts holding the mufflers don't have enough room above them to slide them out. There's some silver shielding about 3/4" above each screw that can't be moved. How the heck do you pull these bolts out to slide the mufflers out?!?!?!?
you have to undo 3 those horizontal bolts/nuts that keep this plate in place in which you have those vertical bolts mounted. It is quite difficult to reach but quite doable.

when you`ll get plate off do not forget to reverse this bolt 180 degrees so it could be easier next time.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks!

Well, several bloody knuckles later, the Cargraphic mufflers are on. Thanks everyone for all your help. Haven't taken it out to wind it up yet, but so far, it sounds amazing. Thanks to Bryan at RSS and Justin at RS1 for your help with the purchase too!

I'll give a detailed overview of the sound when I have a few miles on the mufflers.

Now it looks like I have to replace the tips now. Used the original OEM ones, and they don't do the sound justice.

Thanks again.