997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I think I found an 05 C2S I want

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
txbanker is infamous around these parts
I think I found an 05 C2S I want

Hi guys. After look for 8 months, I think I found an 05 C2S, in Chicago, from a place called The Chicago Toy Store. The car has
31k miles
Atlas Grey
full blk leather
Tiptronic
Sport Chrono
parking sensor
Alcantera roof liner, steering wheel, brake handle, shift ****
Carbon fiber console
Nav
Fabspeed mufflers and pipe tips
BMC air filter
New tires

I had the PPI done by Loeber Motors Porsche and they found the engine was replaced at 9800 miles. They don't have record of why the engine was replaced, but the replaced engine is in good shape. The bad news is that they show some paint work has been done.
Thus, I had the paint and body checked using their referral, North Shore Auto Rebuilders. They found that the front bumper, rear bumper and left rear fender had been painted. In addition, they show the rear bumper had been removed (due to two bolts being removed) whether to paint it or change it. The body shop owner says the car is structurally sound and all work done to the car is cosmetic.

Now that I had it checked for mechanical, structural, and exterior issues, the negotiated price is $46,500. I got the seller to put on new rear rotors and pads with parts from a Porsche dealership.

I plan to use this car as a DD (2 or 3 days a week). So, is the paintwork a big issue? I know the price isn't a smokin' deal, but is the options and mods worth it? I really like all the options and small mods it has. I will have it for 3-5 years.

I really like this one, but don't want to become a "sucker" for buying it.

Please help.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I'm gonna say that the price given the included options is still a little too high. Just do a look up on any reputable used car evaluation site and you will see this is priced as an excellent condition car, which obviously is not the case.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I agree...too high.

Its a tip with some paint work....and you don't mention any warranty.

I say around 42K is fair if no warranty

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Sub4 is infamous around these parts
Also too high. Tip + paint work + 31k miles. Offer $40k, settle at $42k. Replacement engine is bonus as long as it was replaced in 2006+.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I called the dealer and offered $43k. He says he can't go any lower than $46.5k because he just spent $2k on the new rotors and pads. i told him to think about it and i will talk next week. BTW, the replaced engine was done in 03/07.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by txbanker
I called the dealer and offered $43k. He says he can't go any lower than $46.5k because he just spent $2k on the new rotors and pads. i told him to think about it and i will talk next week. BTW, the replaced engine was done in 03/07.

sit tight...43K is very fair...

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
What's all the "tip" talk?? There's not a Porsche dealer or used car appraiser in the country that does not value a tip at $1,000-1,500 higher than a manual!

Paint work might mean something to a purist but will be meaninless for resale 3 years from now. A little surprised that it needed new pads and rotors on the rears, but you got them. New tires cost $1,200 - 2,000, so worth at least 1/2 of that over acceptable used ones with say 5-8k miles on them.

You've apparently gone from Texas to Chicago, done a great job with your homework, it has a newer motor so the possible IMS problem is significantly reduced, you like the car, and as you said the price won't win bragging rights but it's not horrible; I'd try to get them to split the sales tax or ship it to Texas on a closed trailer, but I would not let it get away for just a couple grand.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
This actually breaks my heart to reply because I do see that you really want the car . I just can't bring myself to say buy it . The price factoring in the year , the transmission , the lack of CPO, and the engine and bodywork history , plus the out of state travel and expense just make everything about this car seem way off. I could pick apart each item and detail why I feel this way but I believe you will buy it and i'd like to wish you well and really don't want to say i told you so 6 months from now.

When it comes to car buying --these are the words I live by .
If there is any doubt --don't do anything . It's better to buy no car than buy the wrong car .

Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree with both of the posts above. On one hand, I don't want to let this go because of a few grand. On the other, I want to "slice and dice" the things that have happened to the car. I tend to get caught up in the details and sometimes can't make a decision. In looking for the past 8 mo, I have found something to dislike about every car I was seriously looking to buy.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I just bought my first Porsche a few months ago. My advice is to pass.
I almost went for three cars prior to the one I bought. Some were better deals $ wise but in the end there was just something that prevented me from pulling the trigger. Then when I did find my car, I pounced on it without a second thought. I may have paid a little more for this car than the others but I feel like I have good instincts and so when I was ready it happened.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by txbanker
In looking for the past 8 mo, I have found something to dislike about every car I was seriously looking to buy.
And you like THIS car very much? I say this respectfully.

I would pass.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
This actually breaks my heart to reply because I do see that you really want the car . I just can't bring myself to say buy it . The price factoring in the year , the transmission , the lack of CPO, and the engine and bodywork history , plus the out of state travel and expense just make everything about this car seem way off. I could pick apart each item and detail why I feel this way but I believe you will buy it and i'd like to wish you well and really don't want to say i told you so 6 months from now.

When it comes to car buying --these are the words I live by .
If there is any doubt --don't do anything . It's better to buy no car than buy the wrong car .
Thats where I am. This car has many things that have been done to it. If you can stretch a little more, you can get a CPO with no stories. I'd get an 06 or newer. 07 would be ideal.

Its tough. You seem discerning. You wont find a perfect car thats 4-6 years old, but this one seems to have too many weird variables right off the bat.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
I would go CPO...replaced engine and the other items you list is quite concerning. Save a little more $$ and buy an 06 with CPO.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
I too just bought my first Porsche after looking for a solid 8 months. Glad I passed on some 911's as I've found a beauty!

Give Frank Tornow a call at Champion Porsche as they had some nice 05 and 06's on the lot...

Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
s4e
s4e is infamous around these parts
What about this one? Looks nice!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

I just bought a 2005 Launch edition... Clean car with CPO an GT3 bumper, intake, plenum, CF rear wing, tooki, V1, Mobridge ect.... be picky! This is a buyers market!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I found an 05 C2S I want