997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Getting me Sparco seats & rollcage, need dimensions pls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
eatbreathdrive RonCT is so very correct in that 4 point belts are unsafe. I would wear the stock 3 point on the street or in your case for a track day since you have a roll bar and proper seats use a 6 point belt.

So just to understand you correctly your Evo3 seats mounted to the stock manual seat sliders? So they move up and down in height and forward and back for leg room?

thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mdrums
eatbreathdrive RonCT is so very correct in that 4 point belts are unsafe. I would wear the stock 3 point on the street or in your case for a track day since you have a roll bar and proper seats use a 6 point belt.

So just to understand you correctly your Evo3 seats mounted to the stock manual seat sliders? So they move up and down in height and forward and back for leg room?

thanks!
Nope, not up and down, just back and forth. But I guess maybe you could have it customized at your local shop. I think RonCt is quite right, I will talk to the guys at my Porsche dealer today, I wanna hear what they have to say, otherwise I will switch to the standard belts this weekend.

Thanks Ron!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, no problem, glad to help out with some advice. Seriously on this question, if you are planning to drive the car on the street with those aftermarket seats, you should at least be aware that they aren't "approved" seats with the safety system in your car. You've eliminated the thorax airbag and I'm guessing you now have a yellow warning light on your dials showing the airbag fault. If not, then whoever installed them might have done something to trick the system.

Other guys I know that have swapped out seats in 997 products have done so and do not drive the car on the street, rather they trailer them to the track. When on the track, they only use the 6-point belts and have a signed waiver so that anyone that might sit in the passenger's seat does so knowing the risk of being on the track and in a prepared race car.

In my car I would not risk a passenger's safety by using anything but a Porsche seat and one that's federally approved. I just could not imagine if I had a buddy in the car with me and we got hit and the investigation found that I "tampered" with the safety system and the thorax airbag could have prevented harm.

Read Pete Stout's article about the Sport Bucket seat that's in last month's Excellence. He speaks of this same concern I've had for several years when people started using 996 GT3 seats in 997 cars and asking dealers to disable the airbag warning light.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 AM
gordie997 is infamous around these parts
nicenicenice~~~~

Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RonCT
Hey, no problem, glad to help out with some advice. Seriously on this question, if you are planning to drive the car on the street with those aftermarket seats, you should at least be aware that they aren't "approved" seats with the safety system in your car. You've eliminated the thorax airbag and I'm guessing you now have a yellow warning light on your dials showing the airbag fault. If not, then whoever installed them might have done something to trick the system.

Other guys I know that have swapped out seats in 997 products have done so and do not drive the car on the street, rather they trailer them to the track. When on the track, they only use the 6-point belts and have a signed waiver so that anyone that might sit in the passenger's seat does so knowing the risk of being on the track and in a prepared race car.

In my car I would not risk a passenger's safety by using anything but a Porsche seat and one that's federally approved. I just could not imagine if I had a buddy in the car with me and we got hit and the investigation found that I "tampered" with the safety system and the thorax airbag could have prevented harm.

Read Pete Stout's article about the Sport Bucket seat that's in last month's Excellence. He speaks of this same concern I've had for several years when people started using 996 GT3 seats in 997 cars and asking dealers to disable the airbag warning light.
Thank you again Ron! I will definitely look into it tonight! Cheers!