997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

c4s two wheel drive mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Radiating is infamous around these parts
c4s two wheel drive mod?

Lets say you need to own C4S as a daily driver due to winter conditions but want some summer fun, is it possible to make it RWD only? I remember reading somewhere that you can just disconnect the front driveshaft with a few bolts. Can I do this?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting....With Subarus is just as easy as putting in a fuse that disengages the rear wheels to allow for safe towing or driving with the full-size skinny spare.

Will be interesting to see what the general consensus is.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
you can do it with the 996 TT so I don't see any reason why you can't with the C4S....

Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
please keep me informed about this, im interested.... thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I can't imagine it's that easy considering how complex the electronics are on these cars. If it was just a "dumb" mechanical connection, you'd think you could remove the drive shaft and let the front wheels spin freely. I know I've read several posts here and at RL of people trying to convert AWD to RWD and it was an incredibly extensive and expensive process. Try a search here and there, you might get an answer.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I thought I had read about some trick - raising the hand brake just barely. Or maybe I dreamed I read that.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
I thought I had read about some trick - raising the hand brake just barely. Or maybe I dreamed I read that.
I think you're right but only with PDK.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by RH512
I think you're right but only with PDK.

Yes, it is some PDK thing - computers and all I suppose.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
pdk, u click the ebrake 1 click.. doesnt engage the ebrake but does disengage the front axle...

non pdk=no clue.

if i remember correctly its because the front axle has like a magnetic clutch or something odd, so when u click it disengages... maybe someone with more details can chime in.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM
keenan9 is infamous around these partskeenan9 is infamous around these parts
Anyone with a 997.2 PDK C4/C4S ever try this?

I have seen the YouTube Video (2 minute mark), but I have not tried it myself.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/07/p...-in-carrera-4/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYFk_WoxLzA

Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
pdk, u click the ebrake 1 click.. doesnt engage the ebrake but does disengage the front axle...

non pdk=no clue.

if i remember correctly its because the front axle has like a magnetic clutch or something odd, so when u click it disengages... maybe someone with more details can chime in.

Wow, I did not know that. That's pretty cool.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
I saw the same thing .

Last edited by ishmerc; 01-20-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So why would the transmission (manual v pdk) have any impact on the AWD clutching mechanism?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
i remeber when i was looking for a four wheel dyno , and could not find one the guys at rpm said they would disconnect the drive shaft .........or something like that.......or maybe i also dreamed that .

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
Wait a minute....am I understanding this correctly?

Can the new AWD be driven in just RWD-mode by simply lifting up the e-brake a 1-notch???? Is this the case for only PDK?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c4s two wheel drive mod?