997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:17 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
Wrong info. PDK weighs 66lbs more than a manual NOT 88. 66lb is quite small compared to 180lb, and the latter placed high where the former placed low, don't you think?
Hey G-money, I copied the specs from the Porsche.com site here for you to use your calculator in terms of weight.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...s/?gtabindex=5

it's 88 lbs. 3,406 lbs vs 3,318 is 88 lbs. I guess it's possible that the PDK version vs. manual was not as heavy on my 997.1. Regarding PDK, I just couldn't see myself buying an automatic Porsche regardless of how much quicker the computer can shift.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-23-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RonCT
Unless you are tracking the car and looking to win club races, shaving a hundred or two lbs off the car is not going to change the performance in any way you would notice. Just to give you a sense of how much you'd have to do to a car to really improve the performance, look at the Ring times for the GT3 and C2S. It's only something like 8 seconds on a 13 mile long track. Just over 1/2 second per mile average.

But, things like lightweight forged wheels and light tires (Some tires are 22 lbs and others 26 - 4 lbs adds up) can turn into something you will feel if you are really sensitive to it (quicker pick-up). Then there are 2-piece floating rotors where you can save a few more lbs at the wheel (unsprung / rotational mass).

But ripping stuff out of a car and thinking that saving 20 lbs here and there is going to make the car faster just isn't realistic in any way you can sense.

I remember taking my 07 C2S from bone stock to moderately modified and through the process probably lost 100 lbs. It took GPS based TraqMate telemetry to see the differences. Yes, my butt dyno suggested the car was quicker and Traqmate confirmed my feeling. But we're talking 10ths of a second here and there, not something that means much on the street.

That all being said, the "feel good" mods that make some amount of sense to me are headers, cats, mufflers, wheels, tires, and rotors. I'll add software (I have Softronic and there is an improvement). But that's where I'd stop. The car will feel quicker, sound great, and look fresher with some aftermarket wheels.
I agree with you, but I sometimes just do research to see the "what if's?". The unsprung weight reduction is the important thing from what you wrote and a few others. What are the light tire brands/models? I have Bridgestone and how much are those rotors just for kicks?

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
From the Porsche site, on a manual trans the convertible is 3,318 lbs. or just 187 lbs. heavier than the coupe on the C2S and if you have the PDK option, it weighs 88 lbs. more than a manual. Comparing this to the new E90 BMW M3, the coupe weighs 3,704 lbs. and the convertible is 441 lbs. heavier at 4,145 lbs.
I'm just trying to prove a point

You shaving like 25 lbs. off the rear seats or the exhaust is not going to make up for the extra 180 lbs. disadvantage you have from owning a cab.

The fact is it will not make a huge difference. So why bother? Just enjoy it as it is

Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you, but I sometimes just do research to see the "what if's?". The unsprung weight reduction is the important thing from what you wrote and a few others. What are the light tire brands/models? I have Bridgestone and how much are those rotors just for kicks?
Here's the weight savings from GiroDisc 2-Piece Rotors:

Front: Factory 19.85 lbs./GiroDisc 17.05 lbs.
Rear: Factory 15.09 lbs./GiroDisc 14.8 lbs.

It's not much lighter, at least in the rear (not even 1 lbs.). Since most of our cars are RWD I do not believe it make so much difference...

You can probably check the weights of the tires at Tirerack.com

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
At the risk of sounding self-serving, some good forged wheels will save you more than 30 lbs of UNSPRUNG weight.
You will feel the difference, big time.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
At the risk of sounding self-serving, some good forged wheels will save you more than 30 lbs of UNSPRUNG weight.
You will feel the difference, big time.
Well, it's true

Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Hey G-money, I copied the specs from the Porsche.com site here for you to use your calculator in terms of weight.

it's 88 lbs. 3,406 lbs vs 3,318 is 88 lbs. I guess it's possible that the PDK version vs. manual was not as heavy on my 997.1. Regarding PDK, I just couldn't see myself buying an automatic Porsche regardless of how much quicker the computer can shift.

The website is wrong and BTW, it is not the only misprint on the site...

The PDK diff is 66lbs. Check the '09 brochure. For your example (pg 161):

'09 Carrera S Cab (Man/PDK) 3329lb/3395lb

Trust me... the PDK mass diff is a well known number among 911 fans.

And another thing... there was no PDK in your 997.1 series car. It is only available starting '09 997.2 models.

And re your 'put down' comment re PDK... to each his own. Some of us, repeat 911 owners, do know better, ya know? You seem to react with a certain animosity, when some of us try to deliver correct information.

Last edited by adias; 01-24-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
What are the lightest tires out there?? I have Pirellis but am wondering if there is a lighter weight altnernative

Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dk10438
What are the lightest tires out there?? I have Pirellis but am wondering if there is a lighter weight altnernative
The Tire Rack website lists all the tire weights. Once you search down to your car model and tire size, click on "specs" and you'll find the info you need.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

I asked couple of 911 cup car owners what is their weight and was told a number somewhat between 2600 to 2700 pounds.

So no matter how you try to 'reduce' your weight on a street car - it is useless. To get to weight number what makes some competitive difference you`ll need to really strip it down tearing apart practically entire interior, all panels and throw away passenger seat.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I forget the numbers, but I think PS2s were the lightest of the OEM tires. When I make modification decisions they are performance minded. I won't do anything for aesthetic reasons. So, when it comes to picking out new tires, I do look at things like weight because if one tire is 4 lbs lighter than another, I'll gravitate to it even if it's more expensive. Similar with Wheels - Right now I'm tracking with 18" Volks in 8.5 and 11" widths. Some tracking 997s will go to a 12" rear and I don't see the reason given 11 is the correct width for the 305s I run at the rear and the 11s are obviously lighter than the 12s. Forged lightweight and strong (and relatively inexpensive). With rotors I'd love to save a few lbs, but the cost is prohibitive. For some reason I just can't justify the cost even though I'm tracking what's basically a $100k car, so one would think "so whats a few k more for lighter solid rotors?" Go figure. Then again, I have another cycle left in my rear rotors (fronts will need to be replaced this spring), so maybe once front and rear both need replacing I might try the aftermarket floating rotors.

You have a good philosophy going - if you are going to tweak the car, might as well have weight in mind. But, unfortunately, weight isn't going to dramatically change the car.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I asked couple of 911 cup car owners what is their weight and was told a number somewhat between 2600 to 2700 pounds.

So no matter how you try to 'reduce' your weight on a street car - it is useless. To get to weight number what makes some competitive difference you`ll need to really strip it down tearing apart practically entire interior, all panels and throw away passenger seat.
Thank you, that is what I've been trying to explain from the beginning...

Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Understood, but as I wrote, I like to find out the what if's from people who know. I thought it might be possible to reduce the weight to get close to a coupe. However, it looks like that's not going to happen. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
... You have a good philosophy going - if you are going to tweak the car, might as well have weight in mind. But, unfortunately, weight isn't going to dramatically change the car.
That is certainly a good thing. Even though dramatic mass reductions may not be possible, it is always a good idea to keep an eye on not adding weight, with add-ons of any kind.

I ordered my car and yes I wanted PDK and I know it adds 66lb, but I made sure it had no Bose, no XM, and non-electric sports seats.