997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Weight Reduction

I did a search, but I didn't come up with much. What are the biggest and easiest things to change to reduce weight? If anyone has seen a thread on this, please send it to me. Thanks.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-19-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Light weight wheels, will give you the added advantage of reducing unsprung weight.

You can also swap exhaust, seats, remove plastic from front storage area, LW battery.

The list could go on and on!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, you have a cab! No offense but what's the point of trying to reduce the weight?

Easiest way to loose weight would be to remove the rear seats & rear seat belts.

You can replace your battery with a light one, but the 911s already have a light nose so loosing weight in the front might not be a good idea.

You can also switch to a lighter exhaust system.

These are small adjustments that does not upset the comfort in the car...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
Drink lots of water and eat salad.

I thought we were the only ones obsessed with this.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Remove soft top and rail mechanism entirely....save 200+ lbs.

just cant drive in the rain anymore...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Heed to Amy's advice if your car has adaptive sports seats to stay within it's confines and make your driving experience worthwhile.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sin911
Dude, you have a cab! No offense but what's the point of trying to reduce the weight?

Easiest way to loose weight would be to remove the rear seats & rear seat belts.

You can replace your battery with a light one, but the 911s already have a light nose so loosing weight in the front might not be a good idea.

Cabs aren't that much heavier in this car compared to the M3s and I love convertible especially living in CA. Why can't someone have speed and a convertible? I was just looking for a few easy, not drastic things to reduce some weight.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Mortgage the house and replace everything you can with carbon fiber components.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
Cabs aren't that much heavier in this car compared to the M3s and I love convertible especially living in CA. Why can't someone have speed and a convertible? I was just looking for a few easy, not drastic things to reduce some weight.
It's like a 180 lbs. heavier. I know it's not like the M3's but 180 lbs. is like an extra person sitting in the car with you

I took out my rear seats & seat belts which saved me more or less 30 lbs.

I also switched my PSE to AWE Mufflers & 200 CEL Cats which saved another 20 lbs.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
Just look at what Porsche just did with their new Boster Spyder for weight loss - no radio, AC, folding top, cup holders etc...

Matt (in MA)

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by sin911

From the Porsche site, on a manual trans the convertible is 3,318 lbs. or just 187 lbs. heavier than the coupe on the C2S and if you have the PDK option, it weighs 88 lbs. more than a manual. Comparing this to the new E90 BMW M3, the coupe weighs 3,704 lbs. and the convertible is 441 lbs. heavier at 4,145 lbs.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:10 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you are tracking the car and looking to win club races, shaving a hundred or two lbs off the car is not going to change the performance in any way you would notice. Just to give you a sense of how much you'd have to do to a car to really improve the performance, look at the Ring times for the GT3 and C2S. It's only something like 8 seconds on a 13 mile long track. Just over 1/2 second per mile average.

But, things like lightweight forged wheels and light tires (Some tires are 22 lbs and others 26 - 4 lbs adds up) can turn into something you will feel if you are really sensitive to it (quicker pick-up). Then there are 2-piece floating rotors where you can save a few more lbs at the wheel (unsprung / rotational mass).

But ripping stuff out of a car and thinking that saving 20 lbs here and there is going to make the car faster just isn't realistic in any way you can sense.

I remember taking my 07 C2S from bone stock to moderately modified and through the process probably lost 100 lbs. It took GPS based TraqMate telemetry to see the differences. Yes, my butt dyno suggested the car was quicker and Traqmate confirmed my feeling. But we're talking 10ths of a second here and there, not something that means much on the street.

That all being said, the "feel good" mods that make some amount of sense to me are headers, cats, mufflers, wheels, tires, and rotors. I'll add software (I have Softronic and there is an improvement). But that's where I'd stop. The car will feel quicker, sound great, and look fresher with some aftermarket wheels.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
ha Sin you crack me up dude. So true! Tell it like it is.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
From the Porsche site, on a manual trans the convertible is 3,318 lbs. or just 187 lbs. heavier than the coupe on the C2S and if you have the PDK option, it weighs 88 lbs. more than a manual. Comparing this to the new E90 BMW M3, the coupe weighs 3,704 lbs. and the convertible is 441 lbs. heavier at 4,145 lbs.
Just a note on manufacturer weights...they are fairy tales. They give no mention of how they are supplied. Dry, wet, half fluids, no drivers manual and floor mats, all options, no options, etc. M3 coupes have been weighed by credible sources at 3580LBS (without sunroof option, or DCT). That makes BMW over-estimate their weight at publication by a few hundred pounds (their scales are 'pessimistic'). Porsche always seems to go the other way. A base C2 is weighed at 3300 lbs (w/DSG tranny) by most magazines. Result-Porsche's scales are usually optimistic by a few hundred pounds.
It is true that porsche managed to create a cab far more gracefully than BMW, which took all the rigidity away, and added lots of weight. Still, i agree that weight reduction is a bit silly in either cab version. The cars don't have any blocks of lead sitting around in them (remember harmonic dampers from the old days??) Any meaningful reduction of weight will cost much, much money. Just pull the rear seats out and save the 25 lbs and at least it is free!!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Wrong info. PDK weighs 66lbs more than a manual NOT 88. 66lb is quite small compared to 180lb, and the latter placed high where the former placed low, don't you think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction