997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tiptronic modification?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
ggregory is infamous around these parts
Tiptronic modification?

After 2 months of driving my first Porsche, I've discovered something that kind of bugs. I bought a tiptronic transmission because (long story short) I have too much going on when I drive. Blackberry, coffee, the kids, city driving, blah blah..

I find my tiptronic shifts up too soon when driving around residential areas. Anything over 40-45 mph and it's already hit 5th gear. IMO, the car shouldn't have 5th gear less than 100mph! The shifting paddles are great for quick downshifting on the fly - even still that only lasts for a few moments before the tip shifts back up to 5th.. Anyway, is it possible to raise the RPM/MPH threshold on one of the software mods, or something a shop can change? Sports mode makes a difference, but not enough..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ggregory
After 2 months of driving my first Porsche, I've discovered something that kind of bugs. I bought a tiptronic transmission because (long story short) I have too much going on when I drive. Blackberry, coffee, the kids, city driving, blah blah..

I find my tiptronic shifts up too soon when driving around residential areas. Anything over 40-45 mph and it's already hit 5th gear. IMO, the car shouldn't have 5th gear less than 100mph! The shifting paddles are great for quick downshifting on the fly - even still that only lasts for a few moments before the tip shifts back up to 5th.. Anyway, is it possible to raise the RPM/MPH threshold on one of the software mods, or something a shop can change? Sports mode makes a difference, but not enough..
Several tuners have come up with ECU programs for Tiptronic transmissions. It involves reflashing the ECU to specific parameters. Many can program it to your specific needs.

I believe the major players on this forum (ie sponsors) have something available...Softronic/Vivid, GIAC, Switzer, and EVOMs.

You should consider dropping them a call. Be specific about your needs, most can custom program the ECU to your driving preference.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
The Tiptronic should adapt (to some extent) to your driving style so it may be that you can have it reset and relearn, but the simpler option may just be to drive in M and control the shift points yourself.