997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Darined battery -> airbag light -> what now?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
MattAu is infamous around these parts
Drained battery -> airbag light -> what now?

So a couple days ago, I found my battery drained, the light was left on (after 3 mths, I am still not used to not having auto headlights. The car doesn't get driven a couple times a week anyway). Anyway, I used my trickle charger and re-charged the battery. Today when I took it out, the airbag light stays on the whole time.

I have searched a few forums and it appears that if the battery is drained beyond a certain point, the airbag light comes on and stays on. What I have not been able to find out is how do I turn it off? Does it go off by itself eventually? Do I have to go to the dealer to have it reset (my car is 3 wks out of warranty)

If you have encountered a similar circumstance, please let me know how it was resolved. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I think the light typically goes off shortly after you drive it. Did you drive it for a while? I've been swapping steering wheels and the PASM light comes on when you disconnect the battery, but goes off in pretty short order. I've heard about the same thing with the airbag light. If you have a relationship with your dealer they should reset it for free. Worst case should be 1/4 hour's labor. OR, go to an indi that can do a Porsche light reset.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Unfortunately, b/c it's a safety item, airbag lights can only be reset by dealer/indy w/ the Porsche scanning equipment or someone with the Durametric software/tools. If just the battery was drained, the airbag light really shouldn't come on unless the key was also left in the ignition (when the battery drained or was disconnected).

The PASM light will reset itself after battery drain w/ a quick drive.

Incidentally, don't leave your keys in the ignition when the vehicle is not running as this activates the system and will cause your battery to drain in rather short order.

Good luck