997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any idea what this is??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Any idea what this is??

Just took a long trip to PA. On the return, a problem surfaced.
When I accelerated aggressively the car would hesitate.
Not bucking exactly, but kinda like that. The acceleration was not smooth and linear.
I plan to call the dealer first thing in the morning but,
in the meanwhile, anyone know what this condition might be??
TIA,
Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Not sure where you were coming back to, but a particular location where you were may have a unique gasoline blend, based on a particular area's altitude, seasonal temperatures, etc. A gasoline bought in one region may not perform as well in another region with different enviornmental factors. Or, you got a tanlkful of bad gas that maybe was contaminated with water.

Or, a dirty air filter or clogged or dirty fuel filter.

No check engine light?

Keep us posted.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PTParks
Not sure where you were coming back to, but a particular location where you were may have a unique gasoline blend, based on a particular area's altitude, seasonal temperatures, etc. A gasoline bought in one region may not perform as well in another region with different enviornmental factors. Or, you got a tanlkful of bad gas that maybe was contaminated with water.
Or, a dirty air filter or clogged or dirty fuel filter.
No check engine light?
Keep us posted.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought of the gasoline issue myself, but I bought gas at places I've used before. It's not likely to be a dirty filter. The car has just under 20K miles and it just had it's 20K service. And, there was no check engine light.
Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
If you try it now does it still do it? Or is only after a long drive? Have you tried to replicate it?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Idea

Originally Posted by w00zie
If you try it now does it still do it? Or is only after a long drive? Have you tried to replicate it?
The problem surfaced when I began the long trip home.
It was constant during the whole 215 miles.
I haven't driven the car today yet.
Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
hesitation in acceleration could also be the clutch going... a worn clutch typically shows symptoms when accelerating in higher gears

Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
It could also be an O2 sensor. I had a car ( not a Porsche) that hesitated, popped, stumbled and surged until the sensor was replaced.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Twice had a very similar situation several years ago on an 06S with a little less than 5k miles on it. Dealer scoped it twice, including DME, found nothing wrong; after the 2nd time the serviceman told me I was not running it hard enough, engine did not like me, and do some higher RPM runs even if I had to leave it in 2nd or 3rd for a few miles. Did what he suggested and have never had a repeat.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah

Originally Posted by Fahrer
It could also be an O2 sensor. I had a car ( not a Porsche) that hesitated, popped, stumbled and surged until the sensor was replaced.

That happened to my racecar too, and it was an 02 sensor, so I'm hoping it's something as simple as that, and not a clutch.
Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Twice had a very similar situation several years ago on an 06S with a little less than 5k miles on it. Dealer scoped it twice, including DME, found nothing wrong; after the 2nd time the serviceman told me I was not running it hard enough, engine did not like me, and do some higher RPM runs even if I had to leave it in 2nd or 3rd for a few miles. Did what he suggested and have never had a repeat.
I don't think that's it because I run my car hard.
Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I would start with the basics, reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and check for loose connections. If the problem persists then it could be dirty MAF, bad O2 sensor, old plugs, clogged fuel filter and perhaps clutch.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
ECU mods or just exhaust? How many miles on your car? I'm going to bet plugs/coilpacks. A warn clutch will slip...not cause studdering. O2 sensor and MAF are possibilities, but a bad O2 sensor usually trips a CEL. I haven't heard of too many MAF issues on non modified non turbo 911s.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Ecu

Originally Posted by bbywu
ECU mods or just exhaust? How many miles on your car? I'm going to bet plugs/coilpacks. A warn clutch will slip...not cause studdering. O2 sensor and MAF are possibilities, but a bad O2 sensor usually trips a CEL. I haven't heard of too many MAF issues on non modified non turbo 911s.
The car has the Softronics ECU upgrade.

We'll let the dealership figure it out.

Mr. B

Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
I had a similar problem but it wouldn't last for 200+ miles - only for about 5 minutes or so and then would go away and not return until weeks afterwards. I couldn't get anyone at the dealer to come up with a diagnosis so, in the end, what cured it was a reprogramming at the dealer of the car's ECU. That took care of it. There have been others with the same problem and it was discussed in the Tech section of PCA's website, which is where I found the reflashing solution.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Thx

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
I had a similar problem but it wouldn't last for 200+ miles - only for about 5 minutes or so and then would go away and not return until weeks afterwards. I couldn't get anyone at the dealer to come up with a diagnosis so, in the end, what cured it was a reprogramming at the dealer of the car's ECU. That took care of it. There have been others with the same problem and it was discussed in the Tech section of PCA's website, which is where I found the reflashing solution.
Thanks for the info.
I'll let everyone know what the solution is.
Mr. B

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any idea what this is??