997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
DaveinNJ is infamous around these parts
I just returned from my dealer where I had a Tech drive with me....he is a great tech and knows his stuff...and he heard the rattle and believes it is a loose module that is mounted under the back deck inside the car. I have an appointment to get it fixed on Friday, and I will post the results. BTW...Princeton Porsche was extremely responsive to me on this, and deserve kudos for their quick action.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ
Princeton Porsche was extremely responsive to me on this, and deserve kudos for their quick action.
+1 on Princeton Porsche. That's where I got my 997.2 C2S from.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
They are Excellent!!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Hi Craig,

If you're at all concerned about it I'd definitely take it in and have the guys look at it. Speaking as another Aussie, my experience has been that PCA will go to incredible lengths to help with this sort of thing. They'd rather know that you've got a question than not, even if it's hard to track down and fix.

In answer to your other question, yes, the rear end is not very compliant and it does generate both quite a bit of both impact and tyre noise. Have you taken it out on a coarse chip surfaced highway yet? Makes a wonderful accompanyment to the stereo - and makes all those discussions about BOSE vs standard a bit moot!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I just returned from the dealer, and they seemed to have fixed the rattle. It apparently was caused by the carpet molding piece under the real window. The piece has several metal clips on it, and two of mine were not clipped. It took about 15 minutes to diagnose and fix it. So far, on the normal bumpy roads I took back home, the rattle seems to be gone. As I said in my previous post, nice job by Princeton Porsche...Gene and John and tech team are extremely responsive.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ
I just returned from the dealer, and they seemed to have fixed the rattle. It apparently was caused by the carpet molding piece under the real window. The piece has several metal clips on it, and two of mine were not clipped. It took about 15 minutes to diagnose and fix it. So far, on the normal bumpy roads I took back home, the rattle seems to be gone.
Could you please take a pic or two and show us where it is exactly (or the vicinity of it)? Much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Could you please take a pic or two and show us where it is exactly (or the vicinity of it)? Much appreciated.
+1

Always better to pre-diagnose before bringing the car in

Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Will do.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
craign is infamous around these parts
These replies are very interesting and thanks all.

The noise from my car at the rear is a real "thunk" from low down - I am taking it to the local Porsche Centre next week and will report back.
Having no prior experience with these cars, I just want to know if others experience this routinely over certain bumps.
If not, and the general consensus is that 911 rear suspension is firm but not prone to such impact noise - then I willl pursue a solution as long as it takes.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
I'd say my car definitely exhibits more of a thunk than a rattle. I'm curious to see what your dealer finds, if anything. I'm in the throws of a steering wheel upgrade that has taken months and should, let's pray, be completed this week, so I'm not asking them to examine the thunk right now.

Good luck.

David

Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by craign
These replies are very interesting and thanks all.

The noise from my car at the rear is a real "thunk" from low down - I am taking it to the local Porsche Centre next week and will report back.
Having no prior experience with these cars, I just want to know if others experience this routinely over certain bumps.
If not, and the general consensus is that 911 rear suspension is firm but not prone to such impact noise - then I willl pursue a solution as long as it takes.
The short answer is yes.....particularly on the uneven surfaced roads around Sydney. Both my 997's have done it. If you find a "cure" I'd love to know!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
craign is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aggie57
The short answer is yes.....particularly on the uneven surfaced roads around Sydney. Both my 997's have done it. If you find a "cure" I'd love to know!
Thanks for that.
I will let you know what the guys at Porsche Adelaide say.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
robac is infamous around these parts
I get the same noise in my 997.2 also. Very annoying. I had a similar noise up front and took it to the dealer to find that whoever did the PMI on the car forgot to completely remove a spacer used to raise the suspension during shipping. I have the factory sport suspension package. I find it only happens on sharp, but no large pumps, and not related to speed. Looking forward to a resolution.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Has anyone followed up this issue further. I suspect it may just be the spoiler when its in the down position.

I described this noise to my dealer (although I told him not to investigate yet) as the sound you might get if you left a large sheet of ply wood in the trunk of a sedan. As you go over a sharp bump the wood would go up, but only an inch or so and then hit back down quickly with a 'thud'.

I'm curious what any other dealers may have found (aside from the carpet clips).

Thanks
David

Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 AM
robac is infamous around these parts
I'm not driving right now because it is winter. So I'll follow up with this in the spring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps