997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
DaveinNJ is infamous around these parts
Sorry I haven't been able to post a picture of the piece of molding that had the loose clips (keep forgetting to charge my camera..but I will), but I can say that the noise seems to have gone away. The loose clips were on the carpeted piece that is right below the rear window, and on a right angle to the back carpeted deck, if that helps any.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
It would be great if someone had a PET diagram (I think that's what it's called) so we could see the area in detail.

For BMW they're available free online. I don't know for Porsche...

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Thanks. That's invaluable.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ
The loose clips were on the carpeted piece that is right below the rear window, and on a right angle to the back carpeted deck, if that helps any.
It's hard to read numbers, but does #6 look like the clip you're referring to?

DRP

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM
DaveinNJ is infamous around these parts
If you are talking about part number 999 507 687 05, then yes, that is exactly it. It lists 5 of them, and 3 of mine were not clipped together.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
rse_nj is infamous around these parts
Hi everyone, did the clips end up solving the bump/thud sound you were hearing when coming to a stop? Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by rse_nj
Hi everyone, did the clips end up solving the bump/thud sound you were hearing when coming to a stop? Thanks!
+1 on the question. Has anyone else looked into the clips. I can confirm my car makes the thump even when the spoiler is up.

Thanks
DRP

Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem...It sounds more plastic than metal...somewhere behind the rear seats... only had my 997.2 for 3M now and only 2700 Kms on the clock and the sound was there from day 10 or so... but I only heard it about 4~5 times so far and cannot isolate it.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
simontriggs is infamous around these parts
I have had the same problem. I get a glass metal tapping noise from the left rear corner of the car. I also get the thud sound you guys are hearing.
My 997 has been to the dealer about 8 times to try to fix the problem and to a porsche approved body shop maybe 5 times.
All the trims were removed and clips replaced. All the seals and rubber lubricated but still I get that annoying noise!
The body shop guys seem to think the tapping noise comes from bad welds under the rear tail lights, but I had that repaired and I still have the same noise coming from the same place.
Has anyone had this repaired? Its driving me crazy!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I have never heard any noises like described, but here was a bracket/clamp for the exhaust/mufflers (can't recall exactly what) recall maybe a year ago for 997.2 - the dealer did mine when I came in for something else. Although I guess they would surely have checked that out?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM
craign is infamous around these parts
I became very frustrated with noise, vibration and harshness issues with my 997.2 base model Carrera

I am now the very happy owner of a 2010 M3 with Performance Pack with no such problems and sensational performance.

Attached Images  

Last edited by craign; 12-28-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
It's not... Try the door

It's probably the door lock-latch thing... I had the same problem with all my P cars (4!!).

When you open your door and on the inside there is a belt buckle like (d shape) thing sticking out (from the car inner door panel not on the door). Unscrew, turn or adjust it into upright position, rescrew and spray some lubricants etc. and your sounds should go... It's looks to be an inherent issue with all porsches sports cars from the first 986 onwards as I've had the same problem with all my P sportscars since 2000.

I hope it works

Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by craign
I became very frustrated with noise, vibration and harshness issues with my 997.2 base model Carrera

I am now the very happy owner of a 2010 M3 with Performance Pack with no such problems and sensational performance.
That's a nice looking M3, but most people subconsciously wanting an M3 didn't accidentally buy a 911 or were not unaware of the M3, so that solution probably serves a very small number of 911 owners.

They are good cars, but not problem free - I've had 7 BMWs, 2 of them M3s and an M5, over the last 25 years and...keep it long enough and there will be something to deal with - it as a car afterall.

Last edited by stevepow; 12-31-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
learn to live with it or u will drive yurself nuts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps