997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
craign is infamous around these parts
Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps

Hi everyone. I took delivery of my first 911 3 months ago and am basically very happy with it.
One issue I have is a noise from the rear on certain sharper bumps.
The bumps I am talking about can occur on normal suburban streets so not anything too drastic.
It is a low frequency metallic sounding noise which lasts only during and just after the bump.
I cant imagine a damper problem or suspension bottoming as the car has only done 3000k since new.

Has anyone had a similar experience or do you have any ideas?

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM
motionless is infamous around these parts
Mine sounds similar, I was thinking it was the engine lid or something around there..

Old 01-25-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by motionless
Mine sounds similar, I was thinking it was the engine lid or something around there..
Maybe - but very difficult to pinpoint for me. I tried with the spoiler up but that made no difference.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Take it in and have it checked.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by adias
Take it in and have it checked.
I agree - just wanted to see how common this issue is.
Do most owners have a perfectly quiet rear end? (the car I mean!)

Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
kungfufishing is infamous around these parts
I have it. I think it is actually the sun roof. Try puting your hand up on the sun roof when you go over bumps.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
I have it. I think it is actually the sun roof. Try puting your hand up on the sun roof when you go over bumps.
Thanks for the reply but no it is not the sunroof - it is coming from the back and still present when I put my hand firmly on the sunroof.
I even tried driving around (at night) with the engine lid up and have some suspicions it may be that.

So a few guys already have some noise issues at the back.

Any others with ideas?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 AM
DaveinNJ is infamous around these parts
I have exactly the same issue. When I took it in last week, the dealer could not hear the sound. I am going to bring it in this week and actually ride with the tech, who had left before I picked up the car.
I originally thought the back seat was loose, but the sound seems to be coming from underneath the back deck below the window.

Last edited by DaveinNJ; 01-26-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Mine does it once in a while. I think it is the rear spoiler.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Twinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud of
Noise from rear over bumps

Originally Posted by craign
Hi everyone. I took delivery of my first 911 3 months ago and am basically very happy with it.
One issue I have is a noise from the rear on certain sharper bumps.
The bumps I am talking about can occur on normal suburban streets so not anything too drastic.
It is a low frequency metallic sounding noise which lasts only during and just after the bump.
I cant imagine a damper problem or suspension bottoming as the car has only done 3000k since new.

Has anyone had a similar experience or do you have any ideas?
Same issue here and have taken my 2009 C4s (PDK) to the dealer twice. The last time they rechecked the sway bar connections (apparently there have been some instances where they come loose) but this did not help. I have isolated the occurrences (at least in my case) to sharp bumps. I also am beginning to believe that it sounds like a spring shifting inside a carrier??

Back to the dealer for another check

Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ
I have exactly the same issue. When I took it in last week, of course the dealer could not hear the sound. I am going to bring it in this week and actually ride with the tech, who had left before I picked up the car.
I originally thought the back seat was loose, but the sound seems to be coming from underneath the back deck below the window.
I also experience this. Sounds as though some metal part is loose. I hear it in the passneger rear of the car.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Maybe the rattle/noise is related to this?

See post #11 in this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-rattle.html

Last edited by TooSixy; 01-26-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
I believe that mine does this as well but it takes a decent size bump or pot hole to make it happen. I also have a slight squeak in the dash on warmer days. After owning other brands of sports cars for many years things like this don't bother me any longer. It's pretty much the nature of the beast when you have a stiff suspension like so many sports cars have.

Easy fix: Avoid going over bumps (as much as possible) and turn the radio up louder to mask the noise.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
I get that noise as well in my 997.2. This is my first 911 and I just assumed it was a byproduct of a rear engined car with stiff suspension?

Curious to see if anyone gets it diagnosed.

David

Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
ZoSo_DXB is infamous around these parts
This is a long shot i know, but could it possibly be the connection for the rear sensors that is bouncing against the inner side of the rear bumper?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Carrera 997.2 noise from rear on bumps