997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

question: purchase at lease end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
question: purchase at lease end

My '09 C2S' lease is up at the end of 2010. The residual value on the lease is 70K (the car's MSRP was 103K). Never having leased a car before that I would like to purchase, my question is can I negotiate that 70K residual price at the time that I turn in the car?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think many lease companies negotiate because most have "residual insurance" that makes up the difference between wholesale auction price and contract residual value. This allows them to get their full value out of the car no matter what.

But I would think it might be worth a shot. The worst they will do is say no.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
samsporsche is infamous around these parts
does not hurt to ask nothing ventured nothing gained
my experience is that it is negotiable

Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
When the time comes, see what other Porsches are on the market that are comparable to your leased car. Lower retail market prices could work in your favor as a negotiating tool.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Not sure how it works with Porsche but I would think it would be similar to BMW. BMW NA requires dealers to buy back a certain # of lease returns every year. In some instances they end up having more cars than they want. In this instance you can approach BMWFS and negotiate the residual price. Several things to consider.

C2S is a common model. If they were giving great lease deals when you got your car you can assume there will be a lot of these cars coming back around the same time which means a larger used car inventory. So I bet they would be willing to negotiate.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
FullRetard is infamous around these parts
I leased my 07 C2S through Audi Financing, They were not willing to negotiate at all.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan
My '09 C2S' lease is up at the end of 2010. The residual value on the lease is 70K (the car's MSRP was 103K). Never having leased a car before that I would like to purchase, my question is can I negotiate that 70K residual price at the time that I turn in the car?
You can ask for anything but they won't budge even if they were to take a loss.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
You certainly can negotiate the lease end price. There are, however, many variables that will determine the price that you cannot predict for at the end of this year (or whenever your lease terminates)

Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
From my understanding if you leased the car through PFS they won't negotiate the buyout, some leasing companies will negotiate but not PFS.

Dave

Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
One of my kids wanted my last leased car; I could not get the residual lowered but I was able to extend (actually rewrite) the lease for one year with a new residual 40% lower than the original one. Since my lease was 3 years you could not expect the same, Alan, but if the lessor is willing you ought to see 50k instead of 70.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Let's not forget that NEW 09's left over with similar msrps are selling for close to that lease buyout. You'd really have to get a smoking deal to mAke buying that car worth it.

Also, when the economy went for a crap and alot of companies were losing their shirts on leases, my little brother was returning his murano and they all but begged him to buy it out including offering him a 30% discount on buyout.

Unless they will renegotiate the buyout or a new, more reasonable lease term with substancially better buyout, I'd find a 2010 or 2009 new car, refinance or release it with a more current market initial price. I can't imagine you leased for 1 year and expected to buy it out anyway.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Never have been able to get a lease company to negotiate the buyout, as said before they usually have residual insurance. If you really like your specific car then talk to the dealer and ge them to take it from the leasing car at "market" and then repurchase it from the dealer. You should be albe to get it for alot less than $70,000, and get CPO on it. Or buy another new or used one, there are lots around.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Would you mind sharing what you paid per month to lease?

Generally, buyouts should be negotiable, especially in this economy.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that folks are saying PFS won't negotiate. I heard the opposite from my dealer in July when talking to them about various options.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Sounds like you got perfect execution on the lease. The market value is worth less than the residual and you only paid for the depreciation to the residual. The only possible advantage to the buyout would be to save sales tax, but I'm not totally sure what you pay tax on with a lease. Sounds like it is difficult for PFS to deal with a potential loss on a leased car, i.e. if the dealer "says" the "market" price is $60k, what does PFS have to believe the dealer? If they actually wholesale it, then it is a market trade. Others may do it differently, but that approach could be understandable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: question: purchase at lease end