997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black on black on black...too much black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 AM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
i got a triple black c4s, black interior, black exterior, and black softtop.

urbandictionary: "triple black"
Referring to a car, triple black means that it has a black exterior, black interior, as well as a black convertible top. Black rims do not count as part of this tri-fecta, and the phrase can only refer to convertibles.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig

Darker the fruit - the sweeter the juice!
Maybe, if you like eating apple sauce through steel wool.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
I think black wheels make it look like a German taxicab! As I look through the used market, I'm also surprised at how many people choose black exterior with black interior, or grey exterior with grey interior. When I see a car that has grey paint with terra-cotta interior, or something interesting, it provides a great contrast that draws me in. I think it really sets the car off! My current car is a Z4 with metallic grey paint and red leather inside. Although Z4's are everywhere, mine gets looks every time I drive with the top down.

That said, I'm convinced the 911 shape comes through much more convincingly in dark exterior colors. Some of the beautiful curves, especially the flare of the rear fenders, are lost in silver IMHO.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Flying Cat is infamous around these partsFlying Cat is infamous around these parts
I love black cars; I've had two. However, they are such a PITA to keep looking good. It is so easy to put swirl marks on them if you do not wash & dry properly. I had to frequently polish my last black car to keep it looking "wet" and without swirl marks.

I now enjoy a red C2S which hides swirls and dirt much better than black. Nevertheless, nothing is more beautiful than a clean, swirl-free, and very reflective black car.

Last edited by Flying Cat; 01-29-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
I am like some of the others, not a fan of black rims (on Pcars) - personnal choice.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PTParks
Yummy!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
That price tag ugh!!! Oh yeah black rims...well, on a white car might look better. I'm not a big fan of 'em on a black machine.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
mrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond reputemrdonut has a reputation beyond repute
Personal preference... I wasn't a fan when I was looking for one, but ended up buying one with black wheels.

But definitely check out that turbo that Larry posted! much better deal!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mrdonut
Personal preference... I wasn't a fan when I was looking for one, but ended up buying one with black wheels.

But definitely check out that turbo that Larry posted! much better deal!
Actually, the same with me. I saw the car I own in an ad and thought, I like that except the wheels. Then, when I saw it in person especially next to the other plain, vanilla 997s I liked it more and more. Now, I park next to a 997C4S here and his is black with tan leather and plain wheels and well, and I'm so glad I bought my car instead of something like his.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i think it looks fine with the silver lip.. if it was all black or a silly color on lip would look bad.. looks fine tho.

edit: interior almost looks natural grey to me... maybe its the light tho...

Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
I've seen this car in person and it looks stunning! These pictures don't really do it much justice, but it does look awesome up close. I actually prefer a more "standard" silver or brushed finish. For stock wheels you can't go wrong with those.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PTParks
Dude, that's almost as bad as that comment made by controversial radio personality Don Imus a few years ago.

Getting back to the topic, I went with the black exterior and black interior. I like the look of the black rims but I didn't go for them because they tend to show wear and tear more quickly than the traditional painted silver/clear coated rims. I think part of the reason for that is because it's more difficult to see (and therefore remove) brake dust from a black rim.

Now as far as black exteriors go I agree they require more care but there is no reason to have swirl marks these days with proper care. As a self-proclaimed "serious detailer" and owner of several black sports cars before my 997 I can tell you that it's gotten much easier to care for a car with a black exterior.

The new generation random orbital polishers on the market make it virtually impossible to burn your paint or even create deep swirl marks like the direct-drive polishers do. Anyone can use these with excellent results and it doesn't take years of practice like the direct-drive polisher do. Sadly, I've even seen professional detailers that do not know how to properly care for a black exterior. Some of them use a glazing which hides swirl marks for one or two washings and then the car looks terrible. I've personally found that the Griot's Garage system works very well for me. If you follow his instructions accurately you'll find that this system actually REMOVES swirl marks, it doesn't simply hide them temporarily like others do.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 01-29-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 PM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
Price is waay out of line. Cut it by about 10-18k and you're in the ballpark around $80-90k I'd guess. Black on black is just a matter of eye of the beholder and owner. I'd take it and it looks great on a white, speed yellow, red, or even gray or silver car too. It is one thing that goes well with anything for the most part.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
black wheelz......

Not only does it totally make the car look more aggressive, you gotta go with the black tint as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
madporsche85 is infamous around these parts
I like black black black
Although my car is now on sale, I'll never forget my friend.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black on black on black...too much black?