997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help with DME scan results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Always depends on the price. The scan shown is hardly the worst that has been posted on this forum, yet many don't show any ignitions past range 2. What I think is funnier is that there are 1 and 2 range ignitions very recently. Same was with my car. The previous owner felt the need to hammer it right before they dumped it! This is also a very low mileage '05, which will make it susceptible to other issues, such as a dry RMS seal or potentially even an IMS issue. Not to necessarily avoid it, but ultra low mileage P's seem to have more issues than cars that are driven. Especially for the '05's.
My own 2 cents is that I take the readouts with a grain of salt. If you find that the front fender was repainted means the car was scratched, or worse was in an accident. The scan doesn't mean the car is a lepar. AND keep in mind many used car purchasers will not run the scan or even know what it is. But some may and those ignitions may lower the value of the car and make it harder to sell. Factor that into your purchase and the other cars also available in your area.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
get the DME printout with date and dealer name on it. So if they ever hassle you with warranty claims, you'll have proof it didn't happen after the CPO.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DLJ
I would think that there would be other similar C2S examples out there for you to purchase without the Range 4 wrinkle. Has CPO, but will you be able to get any written guarantee for future issues that may arise with the engine? Perhaps others have encountered this and wonder if they had any success getting anything in writing? My guess is the dealer will just sell the car to someone else less informed and not want to stick their neck out for this one sale.
I did get the dealer that did the ppi to put in writing that as of the inspection the car would still be covered. I didn't have a level 4 however. I had 8 ignitions in level 3.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
thx all for the input. I've pulled the trigger on this last weekend.

details: 2006 C2S white/grey with countless list of options on this car (chrono, nav,pse, ipod,bose,sports seats, sports shift.....).

I'm the 3rd owner of this car, when I took the keys, it has exactly 4975 miles on it.

1st owner bought new from Rusnak pasadena, leased for 3 yrs, drove 505 miles. went back to Rusnak, traded for an 09.
2nd owner bought it from Rusnak with CPO in 11/08, put another ~4400 miles on it.
3rd owner. Me.

The range 3 and 4 happened at 3.1 hrs while the car was still with the original owner, but when the 2nd owner bought the car it was a CPO. So the range3,4 scans were 'included' in the CPO i guess.

So knock on wood, if anything happens to the engine (IMS/RMS), the CPO will still be intact.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your purchase.

Good find. Did you buy it from a private party or P dealer?
Price? If you don't mind.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Taiwanese
Congrats on your purchase.

Good find. Did you buy it from a private party or P dealer?
Price? If you don't mind.

Thanks.
private party, paid high 50s for it.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
congrats on the purchase. Hope you have lots of fun with it!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by DLJ
congrats on the purchase. Hope you have lots of fun with it!
thx it's a blast so far.

here's a pic of it getting smog done.

Last edited by cb333; 02-04-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1st owner bought new from Rusnak pasadena, leased for 3 yrs, drove 505 miles. went back to Rusnak, traded for an 09.
First I'd like to wish you the best with your new car. Did you ever get an explanation as to why the first owner leased this car , kept it 3 years , and only had 505 miles of which the big over rev was documented?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
First I'd like to wish you the best with your new car. Did you ever get an explanation as to why the first owner leased this car , kept it 3 years , and only had 505 miles of which the big over rev was documented?
When the 2nd owner bought the car he never knew about this DME scan. I guess since it's a CPO he just bought it off the lot. But I'm sure the dealer knew all along about this range3,4 during the certification and they think that's ok to certify it.

All service records are here and there isn't anything involving IMS/RMS or engine replacement.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
What is the IMS problem? I can not search for it (too short)

Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fly
What is the IMS problem? I can not search for it (too short)
search with "IMS RMS" you'll see a bunch of results, 05 cars are more bound to have engine failures supposedly but there are 06 and even 07 cars with the problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cb333
When the 2nd owner bought the car he never knew about this DME scan. I guess since it's a CPO he just bought it off the lot. But I'm sure the dealer knew all along about this range3,4 during the certification and they think that's ok to certify it.

All service records are here and there isn't anything involving IMS/RMS or engine replacement.
Had the engine been replaced I believe the DME would be reset . As long as the car runs well it does seem like the problem was corrected but I would want to know . I don't mind having doubt if no answer exists but in the case of your car --it was bought, serviced, traded , and CPO'd at ONE dealership. Someone there has to know something about the car and since you have it now , can get it serviced by them too, I kinda feel like they ought to tell you .