997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Suspension tuning / rollcage - back to stock - ??? and $$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Suspension tuning / rollcage - back to stock - ??? and $$$

Here's a bit of an odd question: My '07 GT3, purchased 3 weeks ago, had been tracked a bit by the previous owner who had installed a Porsche OEM rollcage and had the suspension "tuned"/lowered by Farnbacher Loles- as expected, it handles well but the ride can get a bit lumpy on Chicagoland streets. I was thinking about having the suspension "retuned" back to stock by the dealer (Napleton Porsche) but was told it could take 10-15 hours ($1500 or so). Queries: A) Would you guys do this, B) Does the estimate provided by the dealer sound reasonable, and C) Would you also have the rollcage removed? I'd like to track the car at some point but it would never be more than once or twice a year-

Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It sounds like you have the right parts to enhance your GT3. If it were my car, I would leave it alone, as I would surely use this car on the track more then most. I am sure that you could sell these parts to offset your removal costs.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if all they did was corner balance and lower it to Euro spec you can have it returned to stock us spec height with a corner balance/alignment...don't let a dealer do this..get a good Porsche race shop...shouldn't cost more than $300-$400 bucks...bad ride on streets is a characteristic of the GT3...I would leave it...If FL set it up it should be right..

ps...it's not a rollcage..just a roll bar/harness bar combo

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck

ps...it's not a rollcage..just a roll bar/harness bar combo
Ok, do you recommend a rollbar / harness bar combo on a 997.1 with rear seats removed? will it be safe to drive it on street? I dont track my car so what do you think? Could you post a pic please?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the stock roll bar provides some chassis rigidity and roll protection...it is perfectly safe on the street as it is located well above and behind the driver and there is no danger of a helmetless head hitting it...a full racing rollcage is a different matter and is not safe for street use (besides it makes getting in and out a real challenge)...I certainly wouldn't put in a harness bar and race seats without some roll protection...you are safer with the stock seats and belts if there is no roll protection...(the race seat harness combination will hold you erect in the seat and in a roll over without a roll bar that would likely be fatal)...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
the stock roll bar provides some chassis rigidity and roll protection...it is perfectly safe on the street as it is located well above and behind the driver and there is no danger of a helmetless head hitting it...a full racing rollcage is a different matter and is not safe for street use (besides it makes getting in and out a real challenge)...I certainly wouldn't put in a harness bar and race seats without some roll protection...you are safer with the stock seats and belts if there is no roll protection...(the race seat harness combination will hold you erect in the seat and in a roll over without a roll bar that would likely be fatal)...

Thank you so much for getting back so quickly! I recently had Sparco Rev Plus seats installed with Sparco 4-point belts. I haven't done a rollbar yet, I mean the one that is right behind the front seats and covers half of the interior. I should go for it? I wanna have it custom made, so do you have any information about stock GT3RS rollbar thickness, strength, metal code ? I'm asking too much here
Thank you!

Last edited by eatbreathdrive; 01-30-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Correcting
Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator
you are asking too much of me...I simply don't know...I'm sure there is someone on the board that can answer your question...anyone knowledgeable enough to make you one will know what materials need to be used...the standard oem 997 rollbar is different than the 997RS roll bar...the RS bar attaches differently and adds more chassis rigidity....I would think it would be cheaper to pick up a used oem 997 one (there is a different one for a sunroof car)...it will have the proper attachment points and inserts...members sell them all the time...you might look in the classifieds...however, if you have one customized you could have it attach to the shock towers in the rear and have floor plates welded in front like a GT3-RS roll bar and that would give the chassis even more rigidity...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-31-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank you so much Chuck!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 AM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
I have in my hand an invoice from Farnbacher Loles to tune the suspension on a 997 (not GT3) two years ago. The labor hours were:
RSR Control Arms 1.0
Front Lower Control Arms 1.5
Front & Rear Sway Bars 2.5
Alignment 2.63
Total 7.63 hours.

Depending on what needs to be changed and the experience of your dealer/shop, this might help you estimate the time and cost for returning the GT3 to a softer set up.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
im actually going to speedtune this week for suspension tune on motons install on my turbo they quoted me around $500-600 (formerly Farnbacher Loles)

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Eatbreathedrive, I would look into a 5/6pt harness for the track, the 4 point is just a fancy street belt. As for roll bar, I have the OEM 996 bar, and it fits nicely in the 997, watch the classifieds as they are very common item that people are selling. They are very light, and don't squeek or rattle if installed properly, and can be removed with almost no evidence that they were installed.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Again, thanks a lot for all the advice. 1) My bad, it's a rollbar, not a rollcage- thankfully. 2) I will definitely keep the car as is- the ride is certainly tolerable to good on anything except potholes and minor fault lines. 3) Does anyone know of a good independent "Porsche race shop" (per GT3 Chuck) in the Chicagoland area?