997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How durable is th latest design of Victoria's Secret.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
How durable is the latest design of Victoria's Secret.

Need long term update on a full clear bra wrap.
Within one week of purchase I had the ventureshield precut kit installed for the front fenders, full hood, headlights and mirror caps. By then already had two very small rock chips on the hood. Thanks to some excellent threads by Premier mobile group, I am now debating on a full wrap for the car but cost is somewhat prohibitive. I may still pull the trigger just for the piece of mind that this type of protection will afford. Just imagine if we can park our car anywhere without having to worry about minor door dings and more importantly "keying". But I need a few questions answered.

1. The lifespan of a clearbra is felt to be about 7 years after which they either yellow or become brittle and crack. I suspect this is related to first generation films in the era where not much was written on their proper care. Would one expect the current crop of films to age more gracefully especially now what we know more on how to care for them or this this still up in the air?.

2. What's the longest one has really pampered these films and have they noted any significant deterioration in their finish/sheen. A newly installed clearbra matches the reflective surface of paint to about 90% to 95% and I can live with another 5 to 10% loss of sheen/reflection. I currently use the two products that Premier mobile group have and so far the film seems to be in mint condition despite rain, snow and highway travel although it has only been two months. Any reason to believe that like factory paint one cannot maintain this look of the film forever ?

3. What degree of metal and paint protection do these films afford against: a) door dings, b) minor scratches and c) "keying"? In other words will the metal under the clearbra be dented with proper keying technique is one such thing ever exists?

4. How much of the brunt does the rear bumper bear with regards to road rash?

One can debate about the return on investment (cost of respraying paint vs full wrap and possible need for reapplying clearbra every 7 years) but I do not want to get into this as there are other posts for those interested. Needless to say the skill of the installer is critical so let's avoid that discussion.

I would like to keep the car for many years to come barring unforseen PDK or DFI related issues that may surface in the future. Please chime in. I would appreciate any responses.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 01-31-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
I had a Venture Shield kit applied to my '06 when it was brand spaking new. Just last month (~4 years) the entire kit had turned extreamly dull. Made the paint look like flat paint. I spoke with Venture Shield and they replaced the entire kit for free. That's standing behind your product.

Matt (in MA)

Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
w00tPORSCHE,

I did a fair amount of research on paint protection films before I purchased my setup. I went with 3m because it offers more protection than Ventureshield albeit with the understanding that the 3m film exhibits slightly more of an "orange peel". This is because it's thicker. It's a tradeoff and everyone has to make their own decision about that. My research also showed that if the film gets bumped or scuffed that the 3m product can be easily buffed out while the Ventureshield wasn't very easy to correct. I can't vouch for Ventureshield but I did have an issue with my 3m film and needed to buff out an area about 3 inches by 2 inches. It buffed out perfectly just like paint!

Now as far as longevity goes, this is an interesting topic. 3m says about 7 years is the average lifespan of the film. As best as I can determine, I don't believe either film has been around that long, at least in the automotive industry so if you are looking for results on 10+ years installations I don't believe there is much, if any data on that.

If there is anyone on this forum who works in the aviation industry they may be able to add something to this topic. From what I understand this film was originally developed to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades which are easily damaged and can prevent the aircraft from flying.

The film is also sold under the name "Invisible Shield" for use with personal electronics. I installed it on my 5th Generation iPod (iPod with video) several years ago and it still looks like the day it went on. Of course I don't exactly hold my iPod out the window while I'm driving down the road. I also have it on my second generation iPod Touch and my LG Dare cell phone but those installations are only about 6 months and 12 months old respectively.

Now as far as protection goes, if anyone tells you that the film will protect your car 100% then you better check their nose to see how fast it's growing. If something hits your car hard enough it will still dent the metal or plastic even though it may not remove any paint. When I was shopping the salesman showed me a pre-owned 911 with 3m film that took a big stone hit to the bumper. You could definitely feel a slight indentation with your finger. Finally, if someone wants to key your car, they are going to find an area without film and complete their agenda. If you wrap your whole car then they will likely slash your tires, break your windows or possible even put potatoes up your tailpipes.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 01-31-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
Ahh... now I understand the thread!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I opted out of protective film. If I drove my car daily I woild be in your same shoes . My region seems to be scarce on venture shield and I have yet to see any car which did not have "the line" . Certain car colors show it more than others and white is one of the toughest with yellowing exposure.

To answer your questions based on the tons of questions I have asked.

1) The modern film is improved . One of the main issues of importance is getting proper installation and I have read a lot of positive posts about the place that you selected in your region.

2) one can not maintain the film forever unless he leaves the car in a well ventilated garage with a car cover . In short the sun, rain, snow, salt, amount of use are going to wear on anything and that includes the film . The good news is that once its removed the paint is spotless . The bad news is that when it's on it never looks like the bare paint . But it comes close enough for many to get it.

3) This is a great thread on how a
key" attempt failed thanks to venture shield. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...car-keyed.html

4) The rear bumper I am not sure of. The new DFI cars emit more soot (at least mine does) and that might be the biggest wear factor on the film .

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Matt(in MA)
I had a Venture Shield kit applied to my '06 when it was brand spaking new. Just last month (~4 years) the entire kit had turned extreamly dull. Made the paint look like flat paint. I spoke with Venture Shield and they replaced the entire kit for free. That's standing behind your product.

Matt (in MA)
did the replace it w/ the Ultra ???

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I opted out of protective film. If I drove my car daily I woild be in your same shoes . My region seems to be scarce on
4) The rear bumper I am not sure of. The new DFI cars emit more soot (at least mine does) and that might be the biggest wear factor on the film .

i've noticed this soot on my white car. its annoying

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amylynn
ahh... Now i understand the thread!
lol!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I purchased the Venture Shield with my then new 06 C4 from a Porsche dealership in Boston. When I picked it up I noticed they didn't cover the headlights. When I pressed on this, the technician showed me a Porsche statement saying the lights shouldn't be covered due to the heat and separately that no such laminate was even available. I felt that the bixenons where the most vulnerable and expensive part on the front of the car so this didn't sit well.

So.... I emailed Venture Shield directly and they invited me down to their HQ and manufacturing facility just south of Boston and the owners stepson put it directly on my headlights! Nice service! He gave me a tour of their facility and also talked about their formulation suffering less yellowing than 3M but I'm no expert here so I took it with a grain of salt.

The install is almost 4 years old now and its held up perfectly including the headlights. The car is garaged and under a cover in the winter so maybe that's helped.

Bob

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Auto_Union thanks for sharing your opinion and experience. Matt good to know that Ventureshield paid for the replacement film. Did they also pay for the install? It's is reassuring to note that Bob's car film has not showed any signs of deterioration after 4 years. yrralis1, yes the car is most likely going to be my daily driver. Unlike you, it is my Porsche or the Toyota minivan as my wife holds exclusive rights to her MINI convertible

Amy just thought I would spice up the title to generate some interest, sorry to mislead you. I really am leaning more towards getting the rest of the car clearbra'd. Any suggestions on how to please the Mrs. @ home so that I accomplish my agenda...Maybe a good Victoria Secret product for my wife on Valentine's day like this one

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=6933

Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
woot - I'm thinking if you are only applying a clear bra to half your car...then a matching balconette or demi- might be a better choice... What you picked isn't exactly good "gift" material for your better half. (Are you only covering the headlights? LOL) The last thing I would want from my husband is a pair of those....but, If you either need some help with better choices from that catalog...or...a best tactic for being persuasive(and fair) with your wife regarding the justification for a new 911car... we can cetainly take the discussion off-line.

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Auto_Union thanks for sharing your opinion and experience. Matt good to know that Ventureshield paid for the replacement film. Did they also pay for the install? It's is reassuring to note that Bob's car film has not showed any signs of deterioration after 4 years. yrralis1, yes the car is most likely going to be my daily driver. Unlike you, it is my Porsche or the Toyota minivan as my wife holds exclusive rights to her MINI convertible

Amy just thought I would spice up the title to generate some interest, sorry to mislead you. I really am leaning more towards getting the rest of the car clearbra'd. Any suggestions on how to please the Mrs. @ home so that I accomplish my agenda...Maybe a good Victoria Secret product for my wife on Valentine's day like this one

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=6933

Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by amylynn
woot - I'm thinking if you are only applying a clear bra to half your car...then a matching balconette or demi- might be a better choice... What you picked isn't exactly good "gift" material for your better half. (Are you only covering the headlights? LOL)

Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
To the OP regarding scratches / keys, here is a customer of ours who had his hood keyed supposedly by kid who worked at some automotive shop. We took the film off and no damage to his OEM paint.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=vandalized

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
Have had the 3M on my last 3 cars - Mywife's A4 Wagon still looks V good after 4 1/2 years in the rain, snow, sand, etc. I rejex the car 2 x yearly including the film and rec this for any daily driver.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Hi Steven,
Hadn't heard of rejex before. The rejex.com website looks compelling with good endorsements. Do the instructions say anything about putting it over film?
Thanks,
Bob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How durable is th latest design of Victoria's Secret.