997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What criteria is a must for a 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
I would stay away from 05 if possible and try to get a late 06 with a bit of warranty on it if you buy it without CPO -

In terms of options, Navigation makes a big difference in resale value, Cab is wonderful to have, heated seats wonderful in the winter, full leather nice but pure luxury, Sport Chrono important if you take a tiptronic,
for resale a car with nav, it really depends how soon do you sell. My 03 M3's nav. looked somewhat ancient when I sold it this year. And nowadays navs got better screens, skins, functions (real time traffic, touch screen etc) it'll make the old nav look like a tube tv.

as most of the ppl said here , I tried to avoid lobster but now i'm driving on it (black lobsters), i think i can live with it, and that proves that "non-lobster" is not as "must" as I thought

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
Do not forget, you can add options after you get the car. You can not change (very easily) the base car. If you need performance, get an S. If you want a cab you most likely will be happy in a C2, and may not need the S.

I got a very heavily optioned C2 cab, After 8 years of no sunroof (NSX), I wanted a cab. The price of a well optioned cab and the C2S were close, but I found a car with 9k miles and never looked back.

Goodie List
2005 C2 Cab
15 second button push to open up the driving experience
Sport Exhaust + No top + Mountain Road = Happy, Happy, Joy, Smiles
Warm bottom on cold days
Bose stereo can be heard with top ajar
Clock is not used very often, but the car is better in Sport mode.
Sport seats are great for my build (6'2 / 190lbs)
Sport wheel looks better than the triangle thing - Subjective
Sport Wheels look better than 18s/Lobsters. May get TT wheels...
Do not forget the Xenons on early cars. It is nice to see where you are pointing the thing.

I guess the original owner just said "Give me every option that starts with Sport" and called it a day.

Full leather thoughts: If I owned a coupe, it would need leather period. The sun/weather are a little tough on the leather in a cab. I saw one with 40k miles (Supple leather seats) and it looked like a 75 Cadillac. Lots of wear, etc. AZ plates. Sun must be tough on the leather with the top down. I did not get it in my car, but I have added some leather trim (Radio sides) and am happy with the result.

As others stated, you can not go wrong with a 997. Porsche really got it right.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Fly
Why not a 2005 unless the engine has been replaced?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Fly
The NAV on the 997.1 is poor at best. Skip it.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cb333
for resale a car with nav, it really depends how soon do you sell. My 03 M3's nav. looked somewhat ancient when I sold it this year. And nowadays navs got better screens, skins, functions (real time traffic, touch screen etc) it'll make the old nav look like a tube tv.

as most of the ppl said here , I tried to avoid lobster but now i'm driving on it (black lobsters), i think i can live with it, and that proves that "non-lobster" is not as "must" as I thought
Good point.
I had a Cayenne without Nav and it was almost impossible to get rid off ...

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Fly
Cayenne is a different animal with a different purpose. My phone has better NAV than the 997.1.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Fly
One can also add it it to the PCM if they have to have it... Some people still use CDs

Old 02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fly
Cayenne is a different animal with a different purpose. My phone has better NAV than the 997.1.

I fully agree ... until you are trying to sell your car and the buyer will push you down using Navigation as the argument and you have to give in $2000 for something that you could have had for no additional cost when you were looking for your used car (unless of course you find a car with no Nav and you beat up the poor guy selling it for having 'such a mediocre car that does not even have Navigation".

All depends what side of the table you are on ...

By the way, I drove the Panamera with touch-screen the other day - do you have any experience with that, seemed to be a bit hard to use ...

Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fly
Yep --My 07 Honda has a better Nav than my 07 Turbo.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Must haves - S version if you get the choice, if not an S - Xenons, manual trans, heated seats (if you're where it gets cold in the winter you'll want them ) PASM
Ok if free - Nav, Sport Chrono +, PSE, memory power seats, rain sensing wipers, self dimming mirrors, multifunction wheel
Couldn't care less - Bose, full leather (not a great idea in a cab, better for a coupe ), anything in the way of accents like wood, silver look plastic, carbon fiber, etc... Crests in the headrest,

If you're asking with thoughts of reselling the car some time soon, forget all this and get the car and every imaginable option, no miles and a 10 year CPO and try to get it for free. This way you can sell it for top dollar and go buy a new one at 20% off sticker with the proceeds.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
There aren't many things the car needs 'upgraded'. But if you can, on a 997.1, I'd suggest:

Start with the 'S' - more power, bigger brakes and tires
Upgraded seats - the stock seats just seem lacking, but many of the upgraded designs bring a lot of heavy motors and things, which are all unnecessary. But do test-sit them all before choosing.
Heated seats - especially if it's a cab
Auto-dimming mirror - I don't have it and wish I did.
PASM - very nice to have selectable settings for throttle and suspension. But it almost requires an upgrade to Damptronics coilovers if you go this route.
SSK - shorter shifter is a very nice improvement.
GPS - personal choice. I can get lost in the bathroom, so I like having a GPS with me at all times, and not having to look at a 'stick-on' unit. That said, the factory GPS unit is really cumbersome. Well actually, it's awful.

And I'd avoid (or at least consider unnecessary):
Bose - maybe for a coupe, definitely a weighty waste for a cab
Power seats - just added weight
CD - changer - people still use CD's??
Extra leather/soft leather/fancy stitching/etc - to each his/her own of course but all of these options seem like they're for a GT car, not a sports car
PSE - don't bother. I'd recommend replacing the stock pipes with a full FabSpeed setup (headers, mufflers, x-pipe cat).

You can really spend a lot of money checking off a large number of options boxes. Truth is, the car is excellent in it's plainest configuration.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM
bmwm3r1 is infamous around these parts
i have the same issue now, im looking for a white on black s

Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Sub4 is infamous around these parts
Help me understand the Nav option. Every 997 I see for sale has the screen in the console, so to hear Nav was an option is confusing. I understand sat nav vs. CDs, but don't all cars come with one or the other? I can't believe they'd have the screen for it but not display maps.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 AM
oebb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sub4
Help me understand the Nav option. Every 997 I see for sale has the screen in the console, so to hear Nav was an option is confusing. I understand sat nav vs. CDs, but don't all cars come with one or the other? I can't believe they'd have the screen for it but not display maps.
All 997 Carreras have the PCM unit (screen/CD player), but not necessarily the navigation drive which sits in the trunk.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by oebb
All 997 Carreras have the PCM unit (screen/CD player), but not necessarily the navigation drive which sits in the trunk.
and if you want the dealer to install the nav back in, it's ~$2700, so keep that in mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What criteria is a must for a 997