997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

import duties etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
bhart192 is infamous around these parts
import duties etc

bought a set of rims from Canada,after all said a done paid almost $270.00 in fee's to import used rims, can anyone explain this , I feel bent over ,not even kissed

Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
be glad you don't live in California or the state would be after you for sales tax (use tax) as well..

Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bhart192
bought a set of rims from Canada,after all said a done paid almost $270.00 in fee's to import used rims, can anyone explain this , I feel bent over ,not even kissed
You should find out what those fees are for. Canada is a NAFTA country and there should not be import duties.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
that could be a "use tax" if your state has one...most states have had them since 1930's...usually not enforced but now they are all hurting for revenue...state came after me for my BBS wheels 4 years after I bought them...shipper provided them the info...tax plus penalties was $450

Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Welcome to our world. Imagine if anything you needed you had to import like that.

Really though, if they were used they shouldn't have been declared at full msrp and the duty should be based on declared value.

As for free trade, it only applies if the product is MANUFACTURED in another nafta country. If they're made in Europe duty will apply.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
You should find out what those fees are for. Canada is a NAFTA country and there should not be import duties.
The NAFTA (North American Free Tree Agreement) is for goods made in those countries, Porsche wheels are not made in Canada, USA, or Mexico. Auto parts made outside these countries are subject to 6.1% duty, as well as 5% GST, and PST which is dependent on the Province it is being imported to. If UPS handled the importing, they will add $80 brokerage fee on top of it. To save some $, next time ship them to a depot just south of the border and then pick them up yourself and you will save the brokerage fee, and sometimes the customs agent will wave the duty and taxes, it is at their discretion.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
The NAFTA (North American Free Tree Agreement) is for goods made in those countries, Porsche wheels are not made in Canada, USA, or Mexico. Auto parts made outside these countries are subject to 6.1% duty, as well as 5% GST, and PST which is dependent on the Province it is being imported to. If UPS handled the importing, they will add $80 brokerage fee on top of it. To save some $, next time ship them to a depot just south of the border and then pick them up yourself and you will save the brokerage fee, and sometimes the customs agent will wave the duty and taxes, it is at their discretion.
Excellent advice but the OP is an American. I'm sure similar recomendations could me made though.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Thanks for pointing that out, it isn't common to ship from the Canada to the USA.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 AM
schwartzwest is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan

It's for that reason that I absolutely never use UPS to ship items into Canada. If that is my only shipping option (for whatever reason) I bring it over the border myself. For comparison, Purolator, Canada Post's agent if you ship from the States with USPS charges $5 brokerage, and if memory serves me, I think FedEx charges around $20. FWIW I wasn't charged duty on a recent, fairly large value, German manufactured import, so sometimes you win!