997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pending RIV.ca Porsche inspection your comments please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
Pending RIV.ca Porsche inspection your comments please

I have to take my Porsche for the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) Federal Inspection. Canadian Tire automotive Stores are designated facilities, along with other shops. Can anyone that has gone through this process please comment on your experience along with any pertinent recommendations. I have the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) set to on, and all digital readouts are now in metric, (KM instead of MPH). I am aware I may need to buy a child tether kit for $5 from the store before the inspection begins.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
My car is from the USA, and I didn't have to buy a child anchor before the inspection. If you have to get one, buy an OEM one from MCL, it is designed to fit the car. Canadian Tire inspectors aren't the smartest ones, but I suggest taking it to the White Rock location, as most dealers get I done there, and they will be more familiar with your new Porsche! Other then that you sound like you are set.

How are you getting your car across the border? Driving or transport?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Expect to waste 5 minutes of your time...!!! They don't know what to do, all they do is take down the vehicle weights ect. and tire pressures!!

The vehicle must already be in Canada, otherwise he couldn't get the forms from RIV without the Customs form.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
At the momet I am at a garage in Downtown Vancouver that is authorized to do both the federal and provincial Inspections. I have my fingers crossed that I will get both of the required approvals in order to be able to get my vehicle registered and insured.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Completed!

I just got home, the car is now registered, insured for a year, has both provincial and federal inspections completed and the mechanic said the car is really nice and in great shape. it sure is fun to drive!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thor7000
Expect to waste 5 minutes of your time...!!! They don't know what to do, all they do is take down the vehicle weights ect. and tire pressures!!

The vehicle must already be in Canada, otherwise he couldn't get the forms from RIV without the Customs form.
Ummm that's all they're supposed to do. The form will tell you if you need a child teather. I haven't seen a Porsche in recent history that has required them.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
It looks like our neighbors up north are even more screwed by the useless bureaucracy - no more than an oppressing cost center.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
It looks like our neighbors up north are even more screwed by the useless bureaucracy - no more than an oppressing cost center.
I don't think it is useless bureacracy, they have good intentions, and the inspectors are not the brightest when it comes to Porsche and other Hugh end cars. Transport Canada needs to make sure that US cars meet the standards that Canada has for it's registered vehicles, our requirements are higher then those in the USA. It may sound like a waste of time when importing a 2006 C4S, but imagine a total POS that shouldn't be on the road.

I feel that the US Customs side is more of a PIA then the Canadian side. We need to fax a copy of the title, at least 48 hours before the car is going to be exported, and then it needs to be inspected prior to trying to importing it to Canada.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by gordon9898
I just got home, the car is now registered, insured for a year, has both provincial and federal inspections completed and the mechanic said the car is really nice and in great shape. it sure is fun to drive!
Congrats on the car! Today was a great day to drive it!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
... Transport Canada needs to make sure that US cars meet the standards that Canada has for it's registered vehicles, our requirements are higher then those in the USA. ....
Higher standards/requirements in what sense? DRLs?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I don't think it is useless bureacracy, they have good intentions, and the inspectors are not the brightest when it comes to Porsche and other Hugh end cars. Transport Canada needs to make sure that US cars meet the standards that Canada has for it's registered vehicles, our requirements are higher then those in the USA. It may sound like a waste of time when importing a 2006 C4S, but imagine a total POS that shouldn't be on the road.

I feel that the US Customs side is more of a PIA then the Canadian side. We need to fax a copy of the title, at least 48 hours before the car is going to be exported, and then it needs to be inspected prior to trying to importing it to Canada.
Pardon the correction, but to add to your point, they technically need the ORIGINAL title (which complicates things substancially) for 72 hours before you cross the border.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Higher standards/requirements in what sense? DRLs?
Yes.

And they all canadian vehicles require a cup holder adequately sized to fit a large double double. It's just how we roll.

honestly, I don't think that there's a whole lot of difference between us and cdn market cars.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by atr911
Yes.

And they all canadian vehicles require a cup holder adequately sized to fit a large double double. It's just how we roll.

honestly, I don't think that there's a whole lot of difference between us and cdn market cars.
That's what I suspected. Government tricks to limit free trade. However, as we see, many Canadians buy every day US cars.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by atr911
Pardon the correction, but to add to your point, they technically need the ORIGINAL title (which complicates things substancially) for 72 hours before you cross the border.
This must have changed, the last time I imported a car, a fax was enough for them to do the search, the original was needed when the car was presentfor final export inspection.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:29 PM
That's what I suspected. Government tricks to limit free trade. However, as we see, many Canadians buy every day US cars.
There is no freetrade on goods made in countries outside the NAFTA, Porsche doesn't quailfy.

Large Double Double's are not important anywhere in Canada except for Ontario.

There are many standards that are higher in Canada then US, different crash ratings on bumpers, differnt lighting requirements (DRL's and side markers), the inspection also makes sure that if the car was involved in an accident in the past that it has been repaired properly.

Many cars are being imported to Canada due to our strong currency, and a large supply of used vehicles in the US for sale, this results in a significant savings. On a car like a Porsche, it also increases the choices, as the market is much larger. Many manufacturers have put in measures to stem the flow of cars from the USA to try and protect Canadian Dealer's markets, but there is still a large amount of vehicles making it's way north.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pending RIV.ca Porsche inspection your comments please