997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help with DME Scan results - potential 997 owner!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:25 AM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
Range 4-6 are bad for engines but it happened a long time ago. If it caused serious problems it would have already shown. Were there any history of repairs?

Be prepared to pay $$$ to maintain it if you decided to buy. This better be a great deal.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 AM
clutcher is infamous around these parts
$35,000! Seems like the consensus is to pass on the car

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
I agree that if the car has passed all those miles that it may be "ok" but consider the potential risk on resale. I would view this car as valued as a salvage title vehicle. In many cases tese cars are "ok" too but see a huge reduction in value.

At the end of the day, a Porsche buyer isn't usually looking for a mode of transportation. They want a nice sports car. If the market on an 05 is $40,000 (just an example, I'm not sure) then I would say that this car would be worth $25,000-$30,000 if all other aspects of the vehicle are in order.

Either way, spend the money to further investigate the car. Compression and leakdown might not be cheap but could gurantee you a decent engine.

Just realize that 99% of Porsche buyers would rather pay market or above market for a fine example. They just aren't interested in questionable cars.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
The only different opinion I would offer here is that the range 5 and 6 happened at maybe 12k miles. atr911's post is a good one, it is a question of relative value. What if the price had nearly $15k in it for another motor?
Someone really did drive the **** out of it. Even recently. How many owners has it had? Have you run the Carfax?
All this said, that is the worst DME scan I've ever seen posted on the board. The flip side opinion is that MANY Porsche owners do not read this forum and MANY, including dealers themselves, even now and understand what the DME scan is. I'd be curious to run a poll to see how many people selling cars end up running a DME for prospective buyers.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 PM
clutcher is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the thoughtful response guys. Now, just for my own knowledge, does number of ignitions mean how many times it hit that range?

For example, the number of ignitions for range 6 is 124. Does this mean the needle hit this over rev range 124 times? I'm a bit confused in this respect.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by clutcher
Thanks for the thoughtful response guys. Now, just for my own knowledge, does number of ignitions mean how many times it hit that range?

For example, the number of ignitions for range 6 is 124. Does this mean the needle hit this over rev range 124 times? I'm a bit confused in this respect.
Clutcher-

Please do yourself a favor and read up on past posts regarding the number of ignitions per revolution. It will be very helpful to get an idea of how many seconds were spent in that RPM range.

BTW, I don't know this information offhand or I would share with you.

Her is one with some info:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...an-advice.html

Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
yes the range 5-6 happened early and the car seems to be driven fine. Porsche will not CPO this car and the what-if factor is too great, I would walk

Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Related Question

I used Durametric to review DME info on a 997S I recently bought. Looks good apart from a Level 3 overrev listing 18 ignitions at about 152 hrs. The info in this forum regarding how many ignitions occur per second at the 7500 rpm range got me to thinking about how that might have happened (not on my watch). If it had been a missed shift, it would have lasted longer than 18 ignitions, and if it had been under power it would not manage get that high due to rev limited (and would also last longer). Do you folks agree that a brief over-rev like that could only occur if it was revved with a heavy foot while not under power (e.g., at an idle, or in anticipation of a downshift) and the momentum caused it to shoot that high?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Reminds me of the people you hear of who smoke two packs of and drink a half-bottle of whisky every. And live to the age of 98.
This is an incredibly bad DME. So bad in fact that the car should be in pieces. It's either a new engine, or it's a 98 year old cigarette smoker.
I'd still pass on it. Quickly. Give it a wide berth.
But I'm surprised if Porsche doesn't want to take a close look at that car and find out what they did right.