997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE CATs install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
One more thing regarding install for those of you that may wonder if you should try it yourself if you're not well equipped and experienced. BR Racing had a lift and a garage with every conceivable tool and they've done this many times before. It took the guy just about 2 hours (My appointment was 1pm and he was done almost exactly at 3pm). They had trouble getting the O2 sensors to reach, but removed clips holding the O2 wires to make it reach. However, getting to the wires on the passenger side was very hard. They had to raise and lower the car a few times and use very long screwdriver (looked like a crow bar length) to get to the clip. The 02s will not reach the AWE CATs without doing this..

Old 03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Congrats on the mod. I hope the sound settles to what you want.
Don't forget to update your sig. AWE Cats.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
One more thing regarding install for those of you that may wonder if you should try it yourself if you're not well equipped and experienced. BR Racing had a lift and a garage with every conceivable tool and they've done this many times before. It took the guy just about 2 hours (My appointment was 1pm and he was done almost exactly at 3pm). They had trouble getting the O2 sensors to reach, but removed clips holding the O2 wires to make it reach. However, getting to the wires on the passenger side was very hard. They had to raise and lower the car a few times and use very long screwdriver (looked like a crow bar length) to get to the clip. The 02s will not reach the AWE CATs without doing this..
If you do this again, just take the airbox out. You'll have easy access to the O2 sensors from the top side.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
by the way, they never disconnected the battery and I forgot to tell them. It will eventually remap itself correct? How many miles does it need (or running time) for this to happen?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Michael,
Glad to hear that you were pleased with the install. Things went smoothly and I look forward to seeing you again soon.
The car will adapt to the changes in flow so you should not need to disconnect the battery for a adaptation change. However if you should feel this is important let me know and I will make it up to you.
As for taking the airbox out we opted to not do thsi to try and save some time since Michael was taking time out of his work day to install something that he was up in the air about. We wanted to ensure that the install was quick, smooth, and with the highest quality.
I look forward to answering any questions.
Thanks again for your time and for coming to us.
I look forward to meeting more of you out there.

Robb
BRracing

Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
topspd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Andre5
If you do this again, just take the airbox out. You'll have easy access to the O2 sensors from the top side.
Exactly. I just removed my whole system a few days ago and reinstalled my stock stuff. The O2 sensors are super easy to deal with when you remove (or at least partially remove) the airbox. For the blue wired sensors, you first have to slip out the clip from the plastic mounting to be able to unplug them. The black wired ones can be unplugged without removing from the plastic mount. The wires are routed along the plastic mounting, then each have a clip attached to the metal half way down to the sensor - just reach in and pull them out of the clip.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned
BRracing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by topspd
Exactly. I just removed my whole system a few days ago and reinstalled my stock stuff. The O2 sensors are super easy to deal with when you remove (or at least partially remove) the airbox. For the blue wired sensors, you first have to slip out the clip from the plastic mounting to be able to unplug them. The black wired ones can be unplugged without removing from the plastic mount. The wires are routed along the plastic mounting, then each have a clip attached to the metal half way down to the sensor - just reach in and pull them out of the clip.
Exactly the process that we did, we just were trying to save time anywhere that we could in order to get the customer out in time, hence we did not remove the airbox.
Great write up on the process though.

Robb

Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
2008 C2S with PSE and 200 cell AWE CATs

First video is cold start and car at idle. The second is after warm revving with PSE button off at first and then on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZta0Bn8kUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlOKquVZCc

Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Is that in an underground parking lot?
If so that sound clip may hurt the actual sound that one would hear on the open road.

I understand you were doing sound clips BUT funny to see everything on its side!

Stacy

PS I love the sound of the AWE cats!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Yes, underground lot and yes, I realize a bit louder b/c of echo. I had to sit the camera on the ground and the only way it could sit and view the car was laying down like I had it. It's for sound not the pic really, but I knew someone would bring it up. The CATs sound good except at WOT, but I did read that the sound can change a little over time.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
Yes, underground lot and yes, I realize a bit louder b/c of echo. I had to sit the camera on the ground and the only way it could sit and view the car was laying down like I had it. It's for sound not the pic really, but I knew someone would bring it up. The CATs sound good except at WOT, but I did read that the sound can change a little over time.

Yeah just ribbin' ya a bit!

YES the cats will change with time,I also found that with mufflers that are packed do as well......usually they will get a bit louder!

I personally DO like the sound at WOT and even my wife made a comment one time at a WOT throttle rip,her words...."That sounds like money"......
Gotta like a wife that loves this stuff!

Sound is personal preference.......and to be honest I really don't remember reading/hearing anyone NOT liking the sound of the AWE cats.....

Anyway,hope you become a believer like the 100's(maybe 1000's???) of other satisfied customers.....

GL...

Stacy

Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Sounds a little higher pitched to me. Headers may deepen the tone to be more what you're looking for.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I hope I eventually like them too Stacy, but there is a first time for everything. I may just be the first to NOT like the AWE CATs. I don't intend to spend another $3,000 plus to get headers and mufflers. If I don't like the sound after a bit longer, I'm just going to take them off, sell them and go back to stock.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-12-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I think they sound very good. Give them some time, but like you said, you can always sell and go with something else (but PLEASE don't go back to stock).

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I think they sound very good. Give them some time, but like you said, you can always sell and go with something else (but PLEASE don't go back to stock).
My issue is I don't want to lose the on/off button. I like having the ability to be in quiet mode especially if I have a girl in the car. I have read that changing the headers makes little sound difference, so I'm stuck. If I could just change the mufflers and keep that button, then I would. I like the Cargraphic muffler sound, but I do not want it loud all the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE CATs install