997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE CATs install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
AWE CATs install

I couldn't find anything in one place on doing the install. I have a forum member that is going to install the AWE 200 cell cats for me. He has done a lot of visual mods, but I don't believe he's done an exhaust yet, but I trust his knowledge in general. Can someone point me to install instructions or let me know of any pitfalls to watch out for? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
NOT instructions BUT a bit of a read for ya'...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-cats-wow.html

Stacy

Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
take it to a Porsche shop or get your dealer mechanic to do it on the side. Why would you trust someone who never did cats or just 1 or 2 to do yours. From reading your posts *** ****** your new to doing any sort of mod and are really *******. Get it done right. If the AWE cats are new call my friend Mike @ AWE and ask him where you can get them installed.

Last edited by cjv; 02-16-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: If the purpose was to belittle you did a great job. I deleted hoping you get the hint not to do it again.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Scott997, you have been on my ignore list since your second ****** comment, so I have no idea what you're writing nor do I care.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 02-16-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: I can understand your frustrations. No need to lash back as your insults were also deleted.. We will handle it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I couldn't find anything in one place on doing the install. I have a forum member that is going to install the AWE 200 cell cats for me. He has done a lot of visual mods, but I don't believe he's done an exhaust yet, but I trust his knowledge in general. Can someone point me to install instructions or let me know of any pitfalls to watch out for? Thanks!

Michael, I can't express how easy the cats are to install. I installed the whole exhaust system which included removing the OEM parts and installing the aftermarket parts in 3.5 hours. I live in Los Angeles now but if you want to call me you are more than welcome to. I will PM you my cell number...

Dave

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
now that is how members help each other...mod rep to you Dave

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Listen to Dave. The cat install is not complicated at all. Just make sure you tighten everything down completely after they are in. The hardest part is screwing the o2 sensors back in. But I saw in one thread somebody disconnected the o2 sensors and screwed them into the AWE cats before installing them. This would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I would agree as well. Anyone with reasonable mechanical experience and some time and patience can easily do the job. Of all of the mods for a P-car, the exhaust system is quite straightforward. I did the Fabspeed x-pipe (along with headers and mufflers) and here are a few tips:
1. Though the x-pipe is a more difficult install (it's a one piece design for both sides - so there are fewer degrees of freedom when getting it all fitted in place) I'd recommend removing the rear bumper and heat shield to make the job a lot easier. It's trivial to remove and replace the bumper and shield and it really opens up a lot more working space;
2. I would not recommend pre-fitting the O2 sensors. Though sensible in theory, you're going to be jostling the cats to get them installed and I would not want to put a lot of stress on the O2 cables;
3. At least in the case of the x-pipe, which is a somewhat different shape/design, I needed as much slack in the O2 sensor wires as possible. Make sure to disengage the clips holding the wires, and pull all of the slack that you can to get more useable length on the wires in preparation for #4 (below);
4. I kept the O2 sensors protected after removing them from the original cats. I cleaned them with MAF cleaner and then sealed them in plastic bags (closed off on the wire) while I did the rest of the install;
5. Instead of pre-installing them, I'd screw in the O2 sensors just before buttoning up the rear bumper. When doing so, count (or estimate) the number of turns to get the sensor fully seated and tightened and pre-twist (in the opposite direction) the sensor and wire before you start screwing it in. That way, there will be no twists or stress in the wire when it's fully screwed it.
6. Get a fresh set of gaskets for the install. I particularly like the copper ones from Fabspeed;
7. I'd purchase all stainless bolts/nuts/washers for the job and use high-temp loc-tite for the job. Next time you have to remove the cats, you'll be thankful that you thought ahead.
8. I am not a skilled mechanic or a vendor. My comments (above) are simply considerations but should not be viewed as instructional.
9. Finally, it's simple common sense to ensure that the car is properly and safely lifted via either ramps (more secure but less working room) or jack stands with jacks as backup.
GL

Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Listen to Dave. The cat install is not complicated at all. Just make sure you tighten everything down completely after they are in. The hardest part is screwing the o2 sensors back in. But I saw in one thread somebody disconnected the o2 sensors and screwed them into the AWE cats before installing them. This would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by Verde; 02-16-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
now that is how members help each other...mod rep to you Dave

You are so kind..Thanks..

would not recommend pre-fitting the O2 sensors. Though sensible in theory, you're going to be jostling the cats to get them installed and I would not want to put a lot of stress on the O2 cables;
Great advice...

Last edited by Dave07997S; 02-16-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
You are so kind..Thanks..

Great advice...
Thank you very much for your post and your PM. Very cool of you!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This is an easy installation if, as I always say, you have the time, patience, and the right tools.

I assume you and your friend have a good set of socket wrenches (metric), in both standard and deep sizes, along with some joints, extensions (wobble bars), and different sized ratchet handles.

If you are just building your auto tool set, go for the gusto and invest in a great set. Also really useful for all Porsche work are the craftsman or gearwrench ratcheting wrenches with flex head. Open on one side, box-end on the other, you'll use them all the time.

One "specialty tool" that you will need for this job is a 22m OPEN wrench. Not everyone has that in their tool chest, but you'll need one for the 02 sensors. A box-end is useless here, you have to use the open end due to the wires coming out the top of the sensors. This will make sense when you see it.

Finally, do this:
-use wheel chocks on the front wheels
-jack up the rear of the car, safely
-remove the rear bumper and heat shields, which is really a piece of cake
-unclip the 02 sensors from their harness inside the rear of the engine bay, pic attached). Doing this will allow you the "slack" you will need as you unscrew the sensors from the OEM cats. You'll notice that as you turn the sensors, the wires above will begin to curl around, and you'll want that slack.
-handle the 02 sensors with care, best not to touch their business end if you can avoid it
-READ 10 TIMES: have an extra set of bolts to attach the cats to the headers. After anytime on the road, for some reason, these become brittle, and can snap when you are torquing them back on. Invest in 6 fresh ones before you start to avoid a mid-installation trip to the parts shop.
-the night before you start, spray some WD-40 onto the area where your OEM cats meet the mufflers. One slides inside the other, and having some lube get the chance to get in there for a day of driving will be helpful, as sometimes, sliding one out from the other is a royal hassle.
-A rubber mallet is helpful in the above step, to help loosen/ separate the muffler intake from the cat outlet.

Finally, PM me in advance for my cell in case your buddy gets stuck.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Cattman
This is an easy installation if, as I always say, you have the time, patience, and the right tools.

I assume you and your friend have a good set of socket wrenches (metric), in both standard and deep sizes, along with some joints, extensions (wobble bars), and different sized ratchet handles.

If you are just building your auto tool set, go for the gusto and invest in a great set. Also really useful for all Porsche work are the craftsman or gearwrench ratcheting wrenches with flex head. Open on one side, box-end on the other, you'll use them all the time.

One "specialty tool" that you will need for this job is a 22m OPEN wrench. Not everyone has that in their tool chest, but you'll need one for the 02 sensors. A box-end is useless here, you have to use the open end due to the wires coming out the top of the sensors. This will make sense when you see it.

Finally, do this:
-use wheel chocks on the front wheels
-jack up the rear of the car, safely
-remove the rear bumper and heat shields, which is really a piece of cake
-unclip the 02 sensors from their harness inside the rear of the engine bay, pic attached). Doing this will allow you the "slack" you will need as you unscrew the sensors from the OEM cats. You'll notice that as you turn the sensors, the wires above will begin to curl around, and you'll want that slack.
-handle the 02 sensors with care, best not to touch their business end if you can avoid it
-READ 10 TIMES: have an extra set of bolts to attach the cats to the headers. After anytime on the road, for some reason, these become brittle, and can snap when you are torquing them back on. Invest in 6 fresh ones before you start to avoid a mid-installation trip to the parts shop.
-the night before you start, spray some WD-40 onto the area where your OEM cats meet the mufflers. One slides inside the other, and having some lube get the chance to get in there for a day of driving will be helpful, as sometimes, sliding one out from the other is a royal hassle.
-A rubber mallet is helpful in the above step, to help loosen/ separate the muffler intake from the cat outlet.

Finally, PM me in advance for my cell in case your buddy gets stuck.
CATTMAN
This is very useful information. Thank you for taking the time to write this for me.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Boober is infamous around these parts
I have photos on my cardomain page if that will help at all...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3362996/4

Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Don't forget to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before you start and reconnect it when you're finished. This will prevent any shorts to the sensors while you're working with them and also reset the ECU to learn the mods when you're done.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Just curious for the thoughts on this one. I emailed a reputable area tuner that agreed to install my AWE CATs. I asked them to give me a price and they answered "Labor to remove, cut out, re weld, reinstall new cats
4 hours @ 110 per hour
Total cost: $440"
I wanted a back-up to my friend in case I decide I would rather go with someone who's done this in the past. I worry about the 02 sensor issues that could come from inexperience. Two things about this response that I don't get. I didn't know they needed to be cut or welded from what I've read here on the forum. Secondly, 4 hours seems about 2X too long. What do you think?

Last edited by michaeldantep; 02-17-2010 at 03:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE CATs install