997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ok, New Springs vs Coilovers for this Situation???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mact3333
ok, have decided to go with the Damptronics....so for someone using it mostly for street but occasional track days, what camber and toe settings are you guys running????...corner balancing neccesary for this type of use????
Are you using the version that supports PASM? Also looks like there is an option on the damptronics for sport or comfort versions?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Congrats on the choice.

You planning on getting the work done in Portland? If so, who you planning on doing the install?
To be honest, I'm not sure I really need the Damptronics given I have PASM...for how much I drive the car quality springs might work just fine but I tend to be one of the guys that would always wonder so Im willing to part with 3K for peace of mind(but they better install that damn washer!...)

I talked to Tim at 503 motoring and he quoted me 500.00(no alignment)...he does high end cars but dont know how many coils they install...Jeremy at Matrix Engineering quoted me 800.00 with alignment.

Mike at AWE highly recommends Matrix...its funny because when I had E46 M3 I had Jeremy install PSS 9's on my car about 6-7 yrs ago now...he said at the time they had never done E46 M3 with PSS 9's but I was so ignorant it didnt even cross my mind that perhaps he shouldnt practice on me(he charged 450..0 at that time if I recall)...but he ended up doing a great job but it did take 9 hrs....

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Jeremy at Matrix did my springs (as well as my exhaust) and I couldn't be happier.

If you do have Matrix do it, tell Jeremy I said hi and as soon as my warranty is over I'll be in for a chip

Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ervjohns
Can you use GT-3 control arms on a C4S?
Not so sure, on suncoast web site they state 997 GT3 adjustable LCAs for 2 wheel drive 997 cars versions only.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
Are you using the version that supports PASM? Also looks like there is an option on the damptronics for sport or comfort versions?
Rennsport One told me there is only one version of the damptronics. I think the sport/comfort versions are a myth.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I think there are no settings or dials for Damptronics...you just use the PASM or sport mode on your car(assuming you have PASM car) to adjust shocks...the benefit of Damptronics is you can use your PASM, you can adjust ride height and the springs/shocks were made for each other, therefore shouldnt degrade the OEM shocks like if you just did springs alone and put alot of miles on car.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by mact3333
I think there are no settings or dials for Damptronics...you just use the PASM or sport mode on your car(assuming you have PASM car) to adjust shocks...the benefit of Damptronics is you can use your PASM, you can adjust ride height and the springs/shocks were made for each other, therefore shouldnt degrade the OEM shocks like if you just did springs alone and put alot of miles on car.
Look forward to the results, I have a C4S too and I am curious, it's seems rare to hear about suspension mods on C4S cars in general.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P Diddy
Rennsport One told me there is only one version of the damptronics. I think the sport/comfort versions are a myth.
Correct, there is only one version of the Damptronics. Here's how it breaks down from Bilstein:

There are the Damptronics which are Bilstein coilovers designed to work in cars WITH the Porsche PASM system. Height is adjustable on the coilovers themselves, and dampening adjustment is done via the existing PASM "sport" button in the car. There are basically two settings, sport and non-sport.

There are also Bilstein PSS10's. These are designed for use in cars WITHOUT the PASM system. On the PSS10's, height is also adjustable on the coilovers themselves, but the 10-way dampening adjustment is done via adjustment ***** on the shocks.

Some people call the Damptronics by the name PSS10 Damptronic, but that's not accurate. They are two different systems altogether.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that clarification Tom. Is there any difference between 2WD and AWD in these?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for that clarification Tom. Is there any difference between 2WD and AWD in these?
yes, the fronts are different for the AWD versions, since they have more weight up front.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
".....dampening adjustment is done via the existing PASM "sport" button in the car. There are basically two settings, sport and non-sport...."
This is of course correct.

However, the valving in the dampers themselves is capable of many, many different settings (it might even be continuously variable - I can't remember now) but the valves are controlled solely by the PASM computer. This decides on the damping required based on accelerometer and steering inputs and even varies the damping on each corner separately depending on the conditions. Switching to 'Sport' just ups the stiffness a few notches but once again, it varies dependent on PASM computer input.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
This is of course correct.

However, the valving in the dampers themselves is capable of many, many different settings (it might even be continuously variable - I can't remember now) but the valves are controlled solely by the PASM computer. This decides on the damping required based on accelerometer and steering inputs and even varies the damping on each corner separately depending on the conditions. Switching to 'Sport' just ups the stiffness a few notches but once again, it varies dependent on PASM computer input.
ok
if the damptronics are essentially controlled by PASM, and it is continuously variable (actually I thought that they were adaptive) what is the advantage to having damptronics over stock suspension???

Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
06997C2S is infamous around these parts
i would always go with the coilovers if you have extra cash lying around. the performance is wonderful with the pss9s.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk10438
ok
if the damptronics are essentially controlled by PASM, and it is continuously variable (actually I thought that they were adaptive) what is the advantage to having damptronics over stock suspension???
There's a few benefits. Ability to fine-tune your ride height, lower center of gravity, and corner-balance the car. Stiffer spring rates and appropriately firmer shock dampening in both non-sport and sport settings.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
There's a few benefits. Ability to fine-tune your ride height, lower center of gravity, and corner-balance the car. Stiffer spring rates and appropriately firmer shock dampening in both non-sport and sport settings.
...the effects of which are simply stunning if set up correctly. For anyone thinking of doing this mod, however good you feel your car is now, prepare to be truly shocked. All the bobbing and bouncing-around gone, razor-sharp turn-in, virtually no body roll, loads more lateral grip, no more crashing the nose into the tarmac over bumps (even with lowered ride height) far less understeer, a whole new level of feedback (both through the steering and the chassis) and far more ability to adjust your line through a corner with the throttle. Your car will even ride better than stock over smooth roads...... And all that's just in 'Normal' mode!

The grin won't wear off for weeks

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 02-26-2010 at 02:57 AM.