997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 or TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
just get the gt2 and get a race car w/ more power.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
I had the option of either in 2007. I chose the TT and never looked back.

The off the line power is addicting. In heavy rain the GT3 is handicapped and very dangerous. My TT loves the wet roads and shines and is fun to drive since it holds the road so well.

It would be nice to have both but if I got an second 911 it would be a 997S cabriolet.

If you love to drive on back country roads in all kinds of weather, love to speed and take corners fast then the Turbo is for you. The TT is very forgiving, the GT3 is not.

Cabman

Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
The more I read of the responses, the more I think I will go TT. Obviously, I will want to drive each of them first. I have never driven either and as someone wrote, I wouldn't want to now as it will make my car seem very slow. If I had money to waste, I would have a track car for the track (GT3) and have a TT convertible for the street. However, I want something that is crazy fast, but can also be used to take out a date. From what I gather, a GT3 is a bit jarring and rough for taking a comfortable ride somewhere.

I like this post by yrralis1 and it is exactly why I want a TT "that's the main joy of the Turbo .. it is a comfortable street car and in any ways very elegant and quite civilized but it also can be modified to blow the doors off anything . The face smearing acceleration of a modded Turbo is like no other car I can think of . There's that moment of pause .. some call it "turbo lag" however with mods and software its very,very brief event ... it's just enough time to think to ones self for a split second moment of how hard the car can hurl forward".

Last edited by michaeldantep; 02-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have no video of my car on you tube nor am I anywhere near a talented videographer ... but have you guys seen some of Sharky's amazing cars. As I keeo saying .. just need to add the Gt3.

Here's two I like --
Here's one at 600 Hp.
1) http://www.streetfire.net/video/Shar...7TT_166564.htm

Here's an almost identical engine setup to mine . The aerokit is different but listen to that Tubi race .. best sounding exhaust I can think of. I love my EVT700 !!!!
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDCocMU9T5M

Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
GT2 = best of both worlds.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
GT2 = best of both worlds.
The Gt2 is a hard to drive in the rain on the street (as is the Gt3) . It's one thing to have the room of an open track and another to be in a public highway in a douwnpour with the chevy Pickup truck cutting in front in traffic.
A lot of Califonia guys can have thse cars because the weather permits .
But with the Gt3 -- those mountain incline up and dowm obstacles can surely be a hurdle for the front lip which is very low.

Even with my Turbo -if I lived in Cal --I would get the nose lift.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
I test drove a 996 TT. It was fast. Scary fast. I thought, till that point, cars cant really intimidate me, but man was it fun! So the TT is a fantastic supercar. Perfectly at home coddling you one minute and then allowing you to scare your passengers whenever your heart desires.

The GT3 is for the race fans and track junkies. The GT3 is a track car tuned for the road.

I know that I would buy a Gt3 right now if I had the chance. But for a daily driver, one for snowy winters to boot, a TT would be a fantastic machine.

Last edited by afridi; 02-18-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
For almost a week I debated the GTR folks. I don't wish to rehash the doubtful track data , warranty issues, or disclosure waiver .. which amounted to 10 pages and a closed thread . I even hope they don't post on this thread so I can at least make this point.

If one looks at the GTR -- and throws out some of the snags --for what Nissan tried to create --it does offer a lot--
1) Near Turbo stright line HP
2) Impressive (but debatable) track ability
3) affordable price (also debatable as repairs and warranty =price).
4) Street use comfort
5) Impressive even in stock form

So if one is wanting the sum of all the ideas -- (track,street .Hp, price) --it may be a car to consider given its less than 997S pricing.

If I wasn't so nervous with all the "issues" --I would replace my Honda Si with the GTR as the Japanese vehicle alongside my M3.99 tt, 997S rather than trade the 997S for a Gt3 and lose that street use ability of PDK along with depreciation.

I find it hard to look at an either/or scenario with these cars. I feel it takes multiple cars to create a driving experience goal . Outside of the problem being the expense .. ones driving needs change with time and new cars enter the frey (IE the Panamera).

Scenario 1 -
GTR
M3
997S
997TT

Scenario 2 -
997TT
Gt3
Panamera Turbo

So many cars.. so hard to choose.

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P Diddy
I'd like to think that I'd go with the GT3, but I don't think I could say no to the power that the turbo has if I were to drive it. I've never driven a turbo, and I'm trying to avoid it until I can afford one. That kind of power spoils you, and I don't want to think of my 997S as slow. Also, I don't possess the personal restraint to drive a turbo - I already drive my 997S recklessly.
Most do that drive Porches (as fast as possible that is) I know I do and, still do wherever the opportunity presents . Afterall, you dont buy a car like this to ponce around in the centre lane.with your arm dangling out the window. And where restraint is concerned I can definately assure you you will learn to possess it very quickly in a turbo. I agree its a smart move not to drive one unless you can buy too .

Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Straight line autobahn fun the Turbo is nice...but I see Turbo's...mod'ed Turbo's get eaten at the track by GT3's every month. I can turn better lap times in my 09 997S than 06-08 Turbo's.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
What is it with all these coments about 2wd so hard to drive in the rain? I have no issues with driving my C2S in the rain on the street or at the track.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
caymanboy has a spectacular aura aboutcaymanboy has a spectacular aura about
TT all the way!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21
Most do that drive Porches (as fast as possible that is) I know I do and, still do wherever the opportunity presents . Afterall, you dont buy a car like this to ponce around in the centre lane.with your arm dangling out the window. And where restraint is concerned I can definately assure you you will learn to possess it very quickly in a turbo. I agree its a smart move not to drive one unless you can buy too .
I agree in most places you're right, but near me in the Bay Area of CA, I have never seen so many expensive cars (a lot of tech startups and stock options here) driven so slowly. I see R8s, GTRs, every imaginable AMG (except the SLR), Ferraris, Lambos & 997s of all kinds and they are always in the far right lane going the speed limit. It's usually a Bill Gates type, an old man (60 plus) or in the AMG it's always a Chinese man or woman around here. I just don't get why people waste that kind of money and just drive it like a Buick.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
What is it with all these coments about 2wd so hard to drive in the rain? I have no issues with driving my C2S in the rain on the street or at the track.
The c2s is great in the rain but the Gt3 tires are not made for Florida downpours . They would have to be replaced with PS2 for frequent street use.

The Gt3 will get around many tracks faster .. but not all. It depends on the track. Look at the ring times. http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I just don't get why people waste that kind of money and just drive it like a Buick.
Says the guy who wants a P-car for dating.

I drive pretty moderately on the street and save it up for the track...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 or TT?