997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 or TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Buy the car that suits your driving interest . . .

GT3 = Track Star

TT = Street Rocket

This is not to say you can't bring your TT to the track or use your GT3 on the street but Porsche clearly designed the GT3 (and GT2) as a track car.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
I would get the Gt3 Rs over TT or GT2 just for the sound alone...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The GT3 and TT are significantly different cars and, depending on your interests, driving habits and visceral satisfaction, cater to different driving passions. Had I been willing to forgo top-down driving and willing to spend a lot more, constrained to Porsche's, I would surely have gone with a GT3. A TT for me is out of the question. Why? The C2S is already too heavy, the extra (AWD) machinery dilutes one of Porsche's greatest values which is road feel (accepting that the TT's improve on this almost every year) and straight-line speed is not particularly useful or exciting for me. To be fair, all other things being equal, I'd rather have a more powerful/faster car than less, but all things are never equal.
I suspect that after the OP drives each car, one will 'speak' to him far more clearly than the other.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
The differences between the TT and GT3 are huge... on paper, and from behind the wheel. More than likely, you will know which is "the one" within just a couple of minutes of driving both-

Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I agree in most places you're right, but near me in the Bay Area of CA, I have never seen so many expensive cars (a lot of tech startups and stock options here) driven so slowly. I see R8s, GTRs, every imaginable AMG (except the SLR), Ferraris, Lambos & 997s of all kinds and they are always in the far right lane going the speed limit. It's usually a Bill Gates type, an old man (60 plus) or in the AMG it's always a Chinese man or woman around here. I just don't get why people waste that kind of money and just drive it like a Buick.
Ive seen similar sad examples over here but thankfully not too often. Folks who buy these toys just to show off and to let others know they can afford them is not good for any brand in the eyes of those who cant afford them . Thankfully most porsche drivers over here exercise some initiative in the way they drive . Most high end Benzes and Ferraris are a different story tho .

Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Straight line autobahn fun the Turbo is nice...but I see Turbo's...mod'ed Turbo's get eaten at the track by GT3's every month. I can turn better lap times in my 09 997S than 06-08 Turbo's.
Where in gear acceleration is concerned the Turbo is king aginst the Gt3 and a lot of other supercars, but from the standing start things will tighten up between the two, Turbo starts running away once things get going tho .

At the track Ive seen boxters and caymans eat 997s's and 997S's eat gt3's. I've seen turbos' eat gt3's for breakfast and the other way round.

What you are refering to is driver skill .

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
Ive seen similar sad examples over here but thankfully not too often. Folks who buy these toys just to show off and to let others know they can afford them is not good for any brand in the eyes of those who cant afford them . Thankfully most porsche drivers over here exercise some initiative in the way they drive . Most high end Benzes and Ferraris are a different story tho .
Well, not most people have that kind of wealth at a young age... or they tend to spend it on others before they spend it on themselves.

If I ever get into a 911, I'll drive it like I did w/ my 350Z... mod it and take corners w/ no abandon (no street racing though)

Old 02-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jherbias
Well, not most people have that kind of wealth at a young age... or they tend to spend it on others before they spend it on themselves.

If I ever get into a 911, I'll drive it like I did w/ my 350Z... mod it and take corners w/ no abandon (no street racing though)
Youre damn right about that.....for many of us it didnt fall into our lap.

And that 911....absolutely!! dont waste it if/when it comes. .

Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
I had an 08 S which was awesome, loved the grip around corners and that raw feel, test drove the GT3.... it was pretty much an S if the S could turn into a mean angry rev happy even more raw monster, then I test drove the turbo and it had all that I wanted, it was fast, civil, oh yeah did I mention fast, lol, and it had the feel and finish of a much better built car than the S...test drive both and find out whats better for you

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
For almost a week I debated the GTR folks. I don't wish to rehash the doubtful track data , warranty issues, or disclosure waiver .. which amounted to 10 pages and a closed thread . I even hope they don't post on this thread so I can at least make this point.

If one looks at the GTR -- and throws out some of the snags --for what Nissan tried to create --it does offer a lot--
1) Near Turbo stright line HP
2) Impressive (but debatable) track ability
3) affordable price (also debatable as repairs and warranty =price).
4) Street use comfort
5) Impressive even in stock form

So if one is wanting the sum of all the ideas -- (track,street .Hp, price) --it may be a car to consider given its less than 997S pricing.

If I wasn't so nervous with all the "issues" --I would replace my Honda Si with the GTR as the Japanese vehicle alongside my M3.99 tt, 997S rather than trade the 997S for a Gt3 and lose that street use ability of PDK along with depreciation.

I find it hard to look at an either/or scenario with these cars. I feel it takes multiple cars to create a driving experience goal . Outside of the problem being the expense .. ones driving needs change with time and new cars enter the frey (IE the Panamera).

Scenario 1 -
GTR
M3
997S
997TT

Scenario 2 -
997TT
Gt3
Panamera Turbo

So many cars.. so hard to choose.

Objectively put.

I actually have the same dilemma... GT3 or TT.

The only difference is I want a GT3, the wife wants a TT w/PDK. We start out with a pretty decently performing TT AWD GT-R, so I'm leaning towards a GT3. But the wife would NEVER drive it, and would never feel like she has a car to herself.

I wouldn't mind if she drives a PDK, but I wouldn't trust her to drive the GT3 (and she would most definitely not enjoy the drive).

Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

Objectively put.

I actually have the same dilemma... GT3 or TT.

The only difference is I want a GT3, the wife wants a TT w/PDK. We start out with a pretty decently performing TT AWD GT-R, so I'm leaning towards a GT3. But the wife would NEVER drive it, and would never feel like she has a car to herself.

I wouldn't mind if she drives a PDK, but I wouldn't trust her to drive the GT3 (and she would most definitely not enjoy the drive).
Hard dilema. A person has to feel that the car is suited for them . When I bought my M3 I wanted the 997S , girlfriend needed the extra space of the M3(was transitioning from MB-E350) -- we both liked both cars. Bought the M3 first , then the 997S.
Already had the 997tt and a Honda si (honda is the car that goes anywhere we don't wish to park the nicer vehicles).

In your case it may mean buying one more car . Think of it this way -- a 997tt PDK + Gt3 + GTR = one heck of a nice selection.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I had a 997.1 and wanted to upgrade. Considered the following:

1. 997.2 PDK (new)
2. 997.1 Turbo (used)
3. 997.2 GT3 (new)
4. 997.1 GT3 (used)

I spent decent seat time in all three. I use the car as a daily driver.

In the end I chose the 997.1 GT3. The price point of a used one is perfect right now. You do have to do a lot of looking (many cars are tracked and crashed).

Two probelms I have

1. Clutch is stiff. I avoid traffic, not the most fun to drive in traffic
2. Spoiler scrapes....I really dont care if it does. They are replaceable

The Fun....

IMHO there is nothing better than thesound and feel of the 997.1 GT3 with a Sharkwerks bypass.....NOTHING. The 997.2 GT3 is close, but is a little more refined. The 997.2 GT3 has a little better track suspension, but was not worth the extra $$

Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Izzone
I had a 997.1 and wanted to upgrade. Considered the following:

1. 997.2 PDK (new)
2. 997.1 Turbo (used)
3. 997.2 GT3 (new)
4. 997.1 GT3 (used)

I spent decent seat time in all three. I use the car as a daily driver.

In the end I chose the 997.1 GT3. The price point of a used one is perfect right now. You do have to do a lot of looking (many cars are tracked and crashed).

Two probelms I have

1. Clutch is stiff. I avoid traffic, not the most fun to drive in traffic
2. Spoiler scrapes....I really dont care if it does. They are replaceable

The Fun....

IMHO there is nothing better than thesound and feel of the 997.1 GT3 with a Sharkwerks bypass.....NOTHING. The 997.2 GT3 is close, but is a little more refined. The 997.2 GT3 has a little better track suspension, but was not worth the extra $$
Thanks mate.... It goes a lil' something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrP9jLvaVi4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGuKKYtqtI

Old 02-21-2010, 08:15 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Larry you can probably best answer this.... I have a base 09' 997.2 and would be interested in a turbo. You mentioned something about the GT1 engine. I understand these were discontinued after 09? What is the distinction between this motor and the 2010? Believe it or not one reason I chose not to opt for any P car prior than 09' is my addiction to XM radio and the new touch screen interface. I would love an 07 turbo or GT3 but the stock stereos are crap.