997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 or TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
GT3 or TT?

It seems from my viewing of the forum, more people are interested in the GT3 than the TT if they are looking for more performance. I'm interested in the reasons why forum members would choose one or the other. I ask because my eventual goal is to have a TT not a GT3.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
It seems from my viewing of the forum, more people are interested in the GT3 than the TT if they are looking for more performance. I'm interested in the reasons why forum members would choose one or the other. I ask because my eventual goal is to have a TT not a GT3.
A GT3 feels more like a race car than a TT. You may not have the power of a TT but almost everything you want in a raw sports car will be there.

If I had the money I would go TT since I am not a track junkie.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Well a GT3 is faster around the track than the TT....that would be my reason. I like the more raw purpose type of sports car and a GT3 is just that. I also like the engine sound and exhaust sound of the GT3 much better than the Turbo.

However I hear the 2010 Turbo handles much better than the other Turbo's.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have a 997tt . I would not buy a Gt3 over a TT but I would love to buy one to compliment it. In fact had the discounts not been so good in 09 , and the PDK so intriguing, I would have bought a Gt3 over my 997S. Those thoughts still linger.

But not my TT. That car is solid heartfelt gold!!!

In terms of performance .. on a tight knit track or for pure seamless driver based fun .. the Gt3 is a great car . However in any real world Hp challenge the Turbo will cream it and a modified Turbo will eat the Gt3 for a snack.

That's the main joy of the Turbo .. it is a comfortable street car and in any ways very elegant and quite civilized but it also can be modified to blow the doors off anything . The face smearing acceleration of a modded Turbo is like no other car I can think of . There's that moment of pause .. some call it "turbo lag" however with mods and software its very,very brief event ... it's just enough time to think to ones self for a split second moment of how hard the car can hurl forward .

Stock the car is fast.
Modestly modified .. it's very fast.
Beyond 600 Hp .. it's scary fast. The acceleration is linear and seamless and the sound is ferocious.

In fact .. even a 700 Hp car can be driven civilized and slow and the ONLY place to top end it would be a track or 1 mile event. Events like the Texas Mile or Miami standing mile sound very intereresting .. but there are some draw backs -- at least for me-- a) I don;t know if I really want to go that fast even on an track -- the idea of going over 185 MPH scares the crap out of me and b) after spending so much money to make the car so beautiful I kinda like the idea of just enjoying the car without trying to prove anything .. while keeping both the car as well as myself healthy and safe. Just because the Hp is there doesn't mean one has to explore the limits .. just knowing one has it .. is pretty good.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
GT3 for me, much more capable car with turns in front of it.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
irysfan is infamous around these parts
GT3, to get the full experience of what Porsche is all about. I'd choose from other brands for a GT.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
To date the GT3 has been a more purposeful, tightly knit car, devoid of a backseat. The TT is an unrivaled straight-line slingshot, with lots of leather, stitching, and other Lexus-like niceties. However, I've heard that the 2010 TT has greatly improved handling capabilities which bring it closer in curved condition performance to the GT3.
CATTMAN

Old 02-18-2010, 02:12 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
and other Lexus-like niceties.
The interior is identical to the 997S with full leather.

I really feel the answer is to have both. I do see a very different preference in the normally aspirated section towards the Turbo . https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...th-gt3-tt.html

I still sit on the fence with this.

I would never in a million years trade the Turbo. I sincerely believe that if one buys and mods a Turbo to the level of the EVT700 and beyond .. the Hp is just so intense that anything else feels slow.

I also believe the Gt1 engine with mods, brakes , suspension upgrades is better than the new Turbo car --which BTW is not cheap .. with a new stock Turbo S coming in at around 180K.

I have more interest in buying the Gt3 than the new Turbo . I feel that the integrated 997.2tt engine is a step down despite all the techno gadgets (PTV, etc).

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-18-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 AM
2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough2slow2speed is a jewel in the rough
The GT3 is the car from Porsche that still represents the purest essence of what the 911 platform has been all about, the GT1 derived engine block is pure bliss in NA form, no Turbo lag, easier to modulate the throttle, the lower curb weight of the car also helps in regards to handling and braking.

And for those folks who are track rats the NA engine presents a much more durable and reliable alternative to the forced induction counterpart in the TT.

In contrast the TT is more of a brute force approach to getting the straight line performance with a substantial amount of the comfort and ammenities that a lot of folks expect.

So I guess it all depends on what people are looking for NA vs FI, RWD vs AWD, comfort vs rawness, etc, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, people just talk/buy about the cars that best suit their individual needs.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 AM
The GT3 is the car from Porsche that still represents the purest essence of what the 911 platform has been all about, the GT1 derived engine block is pure bliss in NA form, no Turbo lag, easier to modulate the throttle, the lower curb weight of the car also helps in regards to handling and braking.
You are 100 percent correct!!!
It does beg the question of --why buy a 997S ?

Most will say (paraphrasing) " because the Gt3 is not street practical " . In some regard they are right. If it rains , the tires need to be changed . The front lip will scrape . It's not as comfortable for daily use.

If one truly is a normally aspirated driver then the gt3 is the answer.
The new turbo evolved and who knows when this Gt1 engine leaves the Gt3 if it too will become a technology race car.

The Gt3 is the graceful ice skater and the Turbo is like the power lifter . Two very different cars .. each exceptional .. both ideal .Both needed.

The only Porsche i second guess is the 997S in the shadow of these two .. but i did buy one .. i do like it.. I did get a once in a lifetime price .. it does suit my driving needs .. it does have the PDK which is awesome ... but the Gt3 is "the one that got away" and those thoughts linger .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-18-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I'm interested in the reasons why forum members would choose one or the other. I ask because my eventual goal is to have a TT not a GT3.
Well can say with confidence the TT is an awsome car and will not dissapoint, plenty of power, comfort and so on..... just love mine!! TT has plenty of potential as well where mods are concerned. Mine is still a work in progress .

If your undecided I keep hearing the TT is the better choice for the daily drive but then if I had a 3 I dont think I would be unhappy either...not for a second and the 3 would be the better track day weapon over the two. I never seen anyone in a 3 with a sad face at the track .

Ideal scenario is to have both.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I had an '09 tt. Great car, but just not my style. I then bought a 2010 GT3 and never looked back on the turbo. They are truly different beasts.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
sorry, but I have to say TT,

not because I have one, but it is more of car than GT3.

BUT, if you are into track'ing your car, GT3 will be more suitable for you.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
GT3 without any hesitation. The only reason I have a C2S is that I didn't have the disposable cash to get the GT3.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
I'd like to think that I'd go with the GT3, but I don't think I could say no to the power that the turbo has if I were to drive it. I've never driven a turbo, and I'm trying to avoid it until I can afford one. That kind of power spoils you, and I don't want to think of my 997S as slow. Also, I don't possess the personal restraint to drive a turbo - I already drive my 997S recklessly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 or TT?