997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question for CTEK users

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
Question Question for CTEK users

I've been using this charger on and off throughout the winter. Basically, I'd plug the unit into 12V socket in the car and then plug it into the wall outlet and leave it overnight. In the morning, when the light on CTEK turns green, I'd unplug it and not use it for a week or two. The question I have is this: am I doing it right? Would it be better to just leave it plugged in? Is there any danger in leaving it plugged in (and unattended) for a long period of time? Thank you.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by major c2s
I've been using this charger on and off throughout the winter. Basically, I'd plug the unit into 12V socket in the car and then plug it into the wall outlet and leave it overnight. In the morning, when the light on CTEK turns green, I'd unplug it and not use it for a week or two. The question I have is this: am I doing it right? Would it be better to just leave it plugged in? Is there any danger in leaving it plugged in (and unattended) for a long period of time? Thank you.
Your way is fine. So is leaving it plugged in as long as the cord is out of harm's way.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I unplug mine after I have used it, but I don't think it would matter either way.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
No danger in leaving it connected all the time. It is designed for that. You wouldn't want to forget it was unplugged and find your battery drained - that would be annoying. Mine is plugged in for months over winter.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
When I get out of the car I plug mine in. Have CTEK on three cars. It is a great product. I like it much better than the old battery tenders I had.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
In the case of the Ctek 3A unit, its point is to charge the battery and maintain it. If you charge it overnight and disconnect it, the battery will discharge. 997 batteries discharge about 25% of their capacity per week with the car sitting idle... If I use this unit I leave it connected until I drive the car.

Last edited by adias; 02-18-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
You are better off leaving it attatched. An enemy of batteries is sulphonation. There are lots of threads on avoiding and dealing with sulphonation on boat battery threads, but the bottom line is that keeping it charged up helps decrease this.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I leave mine plugged in. I do too many short trips which can kill a battery - my last car had to have a new one after only 3 years. My sister who has a short commute had the same problem. With previous cars I had when I used to travel a lot, the batteries lasted beyond my ownership.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
mine is on all winter.........always have.......