997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying a 997 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
bluebear is infamous around these parts
Buying a 997 sight unseen

I have been looking around for a 997 Targa for a couple of months. As there are not too many of them, I have been looking nationwide, with the thought that one at a dealer would be a safe bet even if I did not see it in person.

However, lately there have been a couple for sale from private parties that interest me that are too far away to drive home. Would I be crazy to buy a Porsche from a private party sight unseen if I...

1. had the car get a full PPI from a Porsche dealer
2. have a 3rd-party car inspection service check out the body and interior of the car
3. Use an escrow to insure the car is delivered to me in proper condition (with the option to send it back if it was not)

Thanks for your feedback

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it. There are too many minor things that you may dislike. I'd recommend you spend the extra cash to fly/drive out and see it and have it shipped after purchase if necessary.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
I could never make such a substantial purchase without my own physical inspection. After all other parties input, you're the one that's ultimately on the hook for it.

Additionally, you'd be missing a great return home driving experience!

Good luck on your decision.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P Diddy
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it. There are too many minor things that you may dislike. I'd recommend you spend the extra cash to fly/drive out and see it and have it shipped after purchase if necessary.
I bought both my 997's sight unseen using the same type of inspections, however these were from dealers. If it were from a private seller I would fly there and buy it in person.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
dealer car, unseeing is do-able,

private car, unseeing is never do-able.

sorry i have trust problem with humans.. haha j/k

Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
I did that once. Luckily is was not a huge amount of cash. Got royally burned. Be careful. If it's $$$ it's worth a flight.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Bluebear - I recently purchased my 997Turbo unseen from private seller. It was a very unnerving process but at the end all worked out. Perhaps I got lucky. There are just waaay too many variables. Mine was even more complicated since I wanted the car CPO so he basically traded the car in to a Porsche dealer and I bought it from the dealership. Again, totally unseen. I did have the seller take the car to P dealership for full PPI and DME scan. All came clear. The dealer was kind enough to identify any imperfections with the car - not much other than minor scrapes on the front spoiler and tiny ding on the side.

I would say it's worth the flight so you can rest easy at night. For me it was impossible with my work schedule. Also, don't forget about shipping the car.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I know people that have done this successfully. The key is to protect yourself as you seem to be doing with your 3 points above. If DME and PPI plus 3rd party inspection all check out then you should be fine. Just be sure to ship with a reputable closed transit.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Too much risk on a used car from ANYONE. Even some risk on a new car from a dealership. Even though some do it .. I don't advise it.

Best to put your hand on the car before you buy it.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Considering the amount of money you're spending, I think the price of a plane ticket is cheap insurance. I purchased my last 2 cars away from home. One was 400 miles away, the last one was 1000 miles away. I flew to both to confirm condition and settle on price. I find it hard to know what a car is really worth to me without seeing it in person. In the first case, I drove the car back home, but was ready to fly home if it didn't work out. In the last case, I made the deal and flew home and had the car trucked to me for about the same price as it would have cost in gas, tire wear, hotel night, meals, etc., and I saved putting 1000 miles on the car in winter conditions.
While there are likely many situations where sight unseen has worked just fine, I just don't think it is worth taking the risk.

BTW, too bad you weren't looking for a Targa a few months ago when I was selling mine!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
caymanboy has a spectacular aura aboutcaymanboy has a spectacular aura about
Condition of a vehicle is too subjective and pictures do not always work. You need to see it in person.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
OP: ever think about a "want to buy" post here on the appropriate forum?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I had a dealer tell me over email that their 996tt had NO paintwork. when I showed up- it had obviously had paint- and the sales person told me the previous owner had disclosed it had paintwork.

No question, fly out and see and drive it yourself.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
I did it on my turbo S and it all worked out great. Had 2 PPI's done on it by two different dealers and a pass through sale from the local porsche dealer.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
I bought mine sight unseen from a non-porsche dealer. Everything has been great so far. Just do what you're going to do and you should be fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a 997 sight unseen