997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Journey Starts: from GT3 to 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Yes sir...give Justin a call at Rennsport-1. I'm having my Cargraphic exhaust put on tomorrow!
Great, I already have been in touch with them.
Please keep us posted with your impressions of the new and improved exhaust note

Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
@yrralis1 -- I think you make a strong case as to why you think the 997tt is king. The 997tt seems to meet or exceed most of your criteria, which I interpret from your post as:
* killer straight line performance
* great modding potential
* good track performance (though I see you admit the 997S wins on some tracks)

Perhaps there are more criteria but that's what I gleaned from your most recent post.

I'm not familiar with your interactions with 997S drivers "downgrading the Cayman and Turbo". I think among car enthusiasts there is not tolerance for downgrading anyone's car -- whatever it may be.

I have a friend with a $40M personal car collection (mostly famous old 50's and 60's race cars with insane heritage). He also just traded one of his cars for a Veyron and an Enzo (he still owes me a ride in the Veyron when the weather clears). At the time, I had a 997tt and he treated me as if my car was just as inspiring as his collection -- when in fact a major service and tire change for both the Veyron and Enzo would cost more than my Turbo.

Sure, friendly competition (and of course professional competition) has its place in "mine's better than yours". But outside of that, I think it's our role, as leaders in the car enthusiast realm, to not propagate petty and emotional claims that one car is better than the other.

The purpose of this thread is to document my journey from the 2010 GT3 to the 2009 997S. As the OP, pretty much anything related to this is welcome except for absolute claims as to why something is the "king", or "number 1 by a huge margin". I think this type of discourse is unproductive, uninspiring, and could fairly well insult those who may be reading this thread and who saved for years to buy their dream car -- be it a Cayman, 997S, or other. It's just not appropriate and is not welcome in my thread.
This is a great post . I never did understand the 997S owners who can not accept either the Cayman or the Turbo.

Now most owners do pick one car and in that regard most want to feel that theirs is the "king" or "best" or "number 1" perhaps because these are singular terms.

Even in the event of multiple car ownership some might claim there isn't some vehicle favoritism . I admit mine .. but not by downgrading the other cars .. but instead by wanting them . I would want to keep all three .

So I ask this --do you miss the other two ? Also .. do you think this might ever lead to another --like PDK 997.2 Turbo S ?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, sir...I miss the Turbo and GT3 greatly, and for different reasons. They are both awesome rides.

The PDK 2010 Turbo S would be an absolute monster, though I'd probably go with the regular 2010 PDK Turbo and customize its performance to my exact specifications (through AWE, Sharkwerks, or something).

I don't think the 2010 PDK Turbo S would be enough for me to jump into it, as my '09 Turbo was tuned to 650HP and albeit 6spd, would probably run well with the Turbo S.

In short, I think there will be a day when the Turbo and or the GT3 come back into my life -- that will be a great day.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
This is a great post . I never did understand the 997S owners who can not accept either the Cayman or the Turbo.

Now most owners do pick one car and in that regard most want to feel that theirs is the "king" or "best" or "number 1" perhaps because these are singular terms.

Even in the event of multiple car ownership some might claim there isn't some vehicle favoritism . I admit mine .. but not by downgrading the other cars .. but instead by wanting them . I would want to keep all three .

So I ask this --do you miss the other two ? Also .. do you think this might ever lead to another --like PDK 997.2 Turbo S ?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Yes, sir...I miss the Turbo and GT3 greatly, and for different reasons. They are both awesome rides.

The PDK 2010 Turbo S would be an absolute monster, though I'd probably go with the regular 2010 PDK Turbo and customize its performance to my exact specifications (through AWE, Sharkwerks, or something).

I don't think the 2010 PDK Turbo S would be enough for me to jump into it, as my '09 Turbo was tuned to 650HP and albeit 6spd, would probably run well with the Turbo S.

In short, I think there will be a day when the Turbo and or the GT3 come back into my life -- that will be a great day.
I think it will too .
I also think the hardest part of this thread for me is seeing all the cars in one photo . On one end it has me thinking that I can relate to your reasoning on all three cars . So when there's that common shared base it's met with this cliffhanger as to why you sold the other two.

If you posted that you fell in love with a Toyota then right out of the gate I would think to myself "different strokes for different folks" but the fact that you selected all three of the cars I love leaves me scratching my head as to how you ended up with this one and what you may buy next .

In short --I am trying hard to understand this -- and for what its worth I find the thread very thought provoking ..

Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Have other people noticed that there is an overwhelming majority of Porsche owners that favor the GT3 over all other Porsches. I have heard it countless times that the GT3 and GT3RS are the true enthusiast cars and the turbos are soft and filled with turbo lag, etc. I'm a little surprised that there aren't alot of die hard turbo owners who realize their car will destroy 99% of other cars on the road and UNLESS you truly track your car very often a GT3 is probably not as much fun and even then a turbo can be just as fun on the track depending on the driver and mods.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by mass
Have other people noticed that there is an overwhelming majority of Porsche owners that favor the GT3 over all other Porsches. I have heard it countless times that the GT3 and GT3RS are the true enthusiast cars and the turbos are soft and filled with turbo lag, etc. I'm a little surprised that there aren't alot of die hard turbo owners who realize their car will destroy 99% of other cars on the road and UNLESS you truly track your car very often a GT3 is probably not as much fun and even then a turbo can be just as fun on the track depending on the driver and mods.
Even Walter Rohl has the same ambivalence on the either /or choice scenario. When driving the Gt3 the interviewer expresses his preference to the Gt3 .. Walter didn't just let it go .. he pointed out the benefit of the Turbo and the strength of both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimss...eature=related

Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I was perfectly content with my C4S but I think the more you hang out on 6speed the more you naturally lust after other Porsches...matter of fact, the more you want to mod your car also...this MB is evil!....

I have to say, for me personally, I want the 10' Porsche turbo with PDK...the PDK and 4WD are the selling pts for me and not the 2.9 sec 0-60...one day I will have to own it because it serves me quite well as a street car but with a few mods will do really well on the track too...my next Porsche will be PDK because for me, I know I will never be able to drift my car on the track or heel/toe very well, hence the fastest I will be able to go around the track is with PDK(and I cant money shift it)...and I want 4WD also because frankly I need traction and dont want to do any drifting...when I had a M3 I always wondered why the guys with SMG were so much faster at the track and after I got SMG myself I knew the reason...downshifting and rev matching is so much easier with SMG/PDK/etc, especially when youre not really skilled at driving at the track like myself...I have prob done 6-7 track days but itching to get to track more frequently now.

I will prob not get the GT3 for the reasons why most love the GT3...people love the raw oversteer capabilities and ability to shift themselves.. I know myself and I know I will never be as fast if I had to worry about the back end breaking loose or worrying about heel toe....I want a fast car that feels very planted even with limited driving skills....

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I completely agree with you and it's refreshing for someone to be as "honest" as you. I, at my age, will never be remotely close to wringing 90% of a Porsche's capability as I work for a living and with wife, kids, family, etc I do not have the money or time or skill to ever get close to a high level of driving.

So, my thoughts were, yea maybe I won't be the true enthusiast because I don't have a GT3RS, but surely owning a PDK turbo says something of loving the Porsche brand - because we could buy a ZR1 with 60k left over if we were ONLY in it for the speed.

Originally Posted by mact3333
I was perfectly content with my C4S but I think the more you hang out on 6speed the more you naturally lust after other Porsches...matter of fact, the more you want to mod your car also...this MB is evil!....

I have to say, for me personally, I want the 10' Porsche turbo with PDK...the PDK and 4WD are the selling pts for me and not the 2.9 sec 0-60...one day I will have to own it because it serves me quite well as a street car but with a few mods will do really well on the track too...my next Porsche will be PDK because for me, I know I will never be able to drift my car on the track or heel/toe very well, hence the fastest I will be able to go around the track is with PDK(and I cant money shift it)...and I want 4WD also because frankly I need traction and dont want to do any drifting...when I had a M3 I always wondered why the guys with SMG were so much faster at the track and after I got SMG myself I knew the reason...downshifting and rev matching is so much easier with SMG/PDK/etc, especially when youre not really skilled at driving at the track like myself...I have prob done 6-7 track days but itching to get to track more frequently now.

I will prob not get the GT3 for the reasons why most love the GT3...people love the raw oversteer capabilities and ability to shift themselves.. I know myself and I know I will never be as fast if I had to worry about the back end breaking loose or worrying about heel toe....I want a fast car that feels very planted even with limited driving skills....

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Wow. This has been one of the most intelligently written threads I've seen in a while. Very thought provoking, and I've enjoyed the tolerance shown to different perspectives. I found Taylor's comments in post #45 very well stated.

I think most of us go through these thought processes about what car we have, what we think we'd like to have, etc., and we each try to justify our choices as if there is some sort of logic behind them, when in fact it comes down to personal preferences and emotions. We all have different needs and priorities, as illustrated by the many comments so intelligently conveyed in this thread.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Ken - well said and I agree.

I have read (and thought about) the pros and cons of a turbo vs a gt3 for many years and although I'm not ready financially to get either, I still love to discuss the topics and learn as much as I can.

I just noticed that the "true" Porsche enthusiasts seem to favor a GT3 over a turbo.

I use the term "true" as someone who is wealthy and has lots of time (because let's be honest, if you are hitting the track 2 times a month, you need money and time and a very supportive family) and is in the upper echelon of driving skills. If that is the definition of enthusiast, I'm pretty confident I will never attain that. Although, I can guarantee that few get more enjoyment and satisfaction out of car ownership than me, so maybe I'm an enthusiast after all...

It's a great decision to have to make and I'm lucky so many people are as passionate about Porsche as I am.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
I use the term "true" as someone who is wealthy and has lots of time (because let's be honest, if you are hitting the track 2 times a month, you need money and time and a very supportive family) and is in the upper echelon of driving skills. If that is the definition of enthusiast, I'm pretty confident I will never attain that. Although, I can guarantee that few get more enjoyment and satisfaction out of car ownership than me, so maybe I'm an enthusiast after all...
I am not convinced by the definition. To me a "true" enthusiast would embrace all the cars (and pehaps favor one only because it suits his driving needs). For some reason a large enough segment of those who claim the Gt3 do not want to own a Turbo. It's not the other way around. In many ways the Gt3 discussion turns into how a Turbo can not drive in the same manner in tight corners suited for the track.
When a 1/4 track or one mile track is mentioned it's scoffed at as though it is not a "true" race. When the numbers at the ring are mentioned it is equally scoffed at.

It begs the question why ? In my opinion if someone buys a car to get up several days a month and go to the track then he likes to compete. He didn't buy the car so that he can lose at the track .This is probably the most competitive segment of Porsche owners because they actually do enter events. Even in terms of wealth (mentioned in your post) -- professional success usualy comes with being driven to attain excellence.

The simple truth is that the very car made for the track would lose in a straigth line. A competitive group who likes to win has to find some way to rationalize the fact.
So "The Turbo is soft " . "The Turbo is Lexus like". "The Turbo owner is bot a true enthusiast " "these arent real races" are all ad hominems.

So they define a 'true" race . a "true" driver . A "tue" level of skill, A "true" level of peformance --ALL on their terms . The only thing they can't define is why they lost when the Turbo can can pass him in traffic.

Most people dreamt of these cars in childhood -- and went to the track as adults but for most the childhood dreams may have been much less sophisticated. A child simply wants to be the "fastest kid on the block" .

With Porsche the bottom line is it takes BOTH cars to win. That's what i got out of Walter Rohls interview. That's why I also have always wanted both cars .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I just drove her (997.2S) home from the dealership. Today she received:

* Cargraphic side mufflers
* OEM short shift
* OEM Universal Audio Interface retrofitted (did not come with car)

When they started her up and back her out of the garage, I thought it was a turbo. It's a warming, throaty sound that definately caught my attention -- did not know they were pulling her out. Driving home I noticed zero drone and under normal load, sounds like stock. On WOT and spirited pulls, she does growl now, and I'm told this will be more pronounced as I put about 500 miles on the car. So far, so good, but I'm very much looking forward to getting through these 500 miles. Also, the Sharkwerks bypass goes on next week so the sound should improve even more.

As for the short shifter -- and I hate this term: it's a no-brainer. Please, just order one through you dealer and have them put it on for you. Maybe $450 including parts and labor, but I'd have to check my invoice. This has just the right engagement in each gear and really makes one feel more connected to the car. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

The UAI did not come optioned with the car. I had PCM with Nav, so the UAI was about $350 with maybe $100 in labor (again, I can check my invoice if someone wants specific dollars). I love having my iPhone play through the PCM and being able to use the PCM's screen to call up playlists, search by artist, etc. Plus, the sound is excellent and the included USB cable charges the iPhone (or iPod) while connected. Of course if bluetooth equipped (mine came with it), incoming calls are routed and the music pauses. Hang up phone -- music plays again. Love it.

So next week I do the following:
* H&R springs (springs inexpensive, labor very expensive )
* Techart tips (one of those painful things that I think should be inexpensive, but not) Stock tips just are well...fine, but the Techart are works of art.
* RS1 20" wheels -- can't wait. I know there is a lot of controversy about 20's, but I'm sure they will fit me fine.
* My old turbo wing will be fitted in place of the stock decklid. Will get painted black of course.

Think that should be it.

I'll post pics and vids next week after everything is together and broken in.

Cheers.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
I just drove her (997.2S) home from the dealership. Today she received:

* Cargraphic side mufflers
* OEM short shift
* OEM Universal Audio Interface retrofitted (did not come with car)

When they started her up and back her out of the garage, I thought it was a turbo. It's a warming, throaty sound that definately caught my attention -- did not know they were pulling her out. Driving home I noticed zero drone and under normal load, sounds like stock. On WOT and spirited pulls, she does growl now, and I'm told this will be more pronounced as I put about 500 miles on the car. So far, so good, but I'm very much looking forward to getting through these 500 miles. Also, the Sharkwerks bypass goes on next week so the sound should improve even more.

As for the short shifter -- and I hate this term: it's a no-brainer. Please, just order one through you dealer and have them put it on for you. Maybe $450 including parts and labor, but I'd have to check my invoice. This has just the right engagement in each gear and really makes one feel more connected to the car. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

The UAI did not come optioned with the car. I had PCM with Nav, so the UAI was about $350 with maybe $100 in labor (again, I can check my invoice if someone wants specific dollars). I love having my iPhone play through the PCM and being able to use the PCM's screen to call up playlists, search by artist, etc. Plus, the sound is excellent and the included USB cable charges the iPhone (or iPod) while connected. Of course if bluetooth equipped (mine came with it), incoming calls are routed and the music pauses. Hang up phone -- music plays again. Love it.

So next week I do the following:
* H&R springs (springs inexpensive, labor very expensive )
* Techart tips (one of those painful things that I think should be inexpensive, but not) Stock tips just are well...fine, but the Techart are works of art.
* RS1 20" wheels -- can't wait. I know there is a lot of controversy about 20's, but I'm sure they will fit me fine.
* My old turbo wing will be fitted in place of the stock decklid. Will get painted black of course.

Think that should be it.

I'll post pics and vids next week after everything is together and broken in.

Cheers.
Glad to hear, enjoy your latest upgrades!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
afridi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Even Walter Rohl has the same ambivalence on the either /or choice scenario. When driving the Gt3 the interviewer expresses his preference to the Gt3 .. Walter didn't just let it go .. he pointed out the benefit of the Turbo and the strength of both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimss...eature=related
Walter Rohrl nails it perfectly. And he should know!

Love this thread. Some good discussion.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Great mods:

IPOD connection is a must especially with the touch screen
Cargraphic is a great sounding exhaust
I have the techart tips and while pricey, nothing looks like them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Journey Starts: from GT3 to 997.2