997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Journey Starts: from GT3 to 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I just drove her (997.2S) home from the dealership. Today she received:

* Cargraphic side mufflers
* OEM short shift
* OEM Universal Audio Interface retrofitted (did not come with car)

When they started her up and back her out of the garage, I thought it was a turbo. It's a warming, throaty sound that definately caught my attention -- did not know they were pulling her out. Driving home I noticed zero drone and under normal load, sounds like stock. On WOT and spirited pulls, she does growl now, and I'm told this will be more pronounced as I put about 500 miles on the car. So far, so good, but I'm very much looking forward to getting through these 500 miles. Also, the Sharkwerks bypass goes on next week so the sound should improve even more.

As for the short shifter -- and I hate this term: it's a no-brainer. Please, just order one through you dealer and have them put it on for you. Maybe $450 including parts and labor, but I'd have to check my invoice. This has just the right engagement in each gear and really makes one feel more connected to the car. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

The UAI did not come optioned with the car. I had PCM with Nav, so the UAI was about $350 with maybe $100 in labor (again, I can check my invoice if someone wants specific dollars). I love having my iPhone play through the PCM and being able to use the PCM's screen to call up playlists, search by artist, etc. Plus, the sound is excellent and the included USB cable charges the iPhone (or iPod) while connected. Of course if bluetooth equipped (mine came with it), incoming calls are routed and the music pauses. Hang up phone -- music plays again. Love it.

So next week I do the following:
* H&R springs (springs inexpensive, labor very expensive )
* Techart tips (one of those painful things that I think should be inexpensive, but not) Stock tips just are well...fine, but the Techart are works of art.
* RS1 20" wheels -- can't wait. I know there is a lot of controversy about 20's, but I'm sure they will fit me fine.
* My old turbo wing will be fitted in place of the stock decklid. Will get painted black of course.

Think that should be it.

I'll post pics and vids next week after everything is together and broken in.

Cheers.

Can you check your invoice on the cost of OEM SSK including labor...Im interested in that also but my dealer quoted me 505.00 for the SSK itself hence I would expect install to be 100.00-150.00 at least....450.00 installed would be great price.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mact3333
Can you check your invoice on the cost of OEM SSK including labor...Im interested in that also but my dealer quoted me 505.00 for the SSK itself hence I would expect install to be 100.00-150.00 at least....450.00 installed would be great price.
Suncoast has it for $426 (plus $23 for shipping). Maybe Sunset will match their price.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Suncoast has it for $426 (plus $23 for shipping). Maybe Sunset will match their price.
thx Joe...I'll ask them.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the skinny on the short shifter:

* $504.98 from factory -- I got it for $403.98. I have a standing discount with my dealer that varies from time to time and item by item. Guess I made out well on this one.
* 2 hours of labor - $196 (perhaps some can do it faster, but they did it right).

Total - $599.98.

So it was more than I had remembered but still very much worth it I think.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
All -

I have the following mods on the car now:
* Cargraphic sport exhaust
* OEM short shift
* RSS sways
* OEM Universal Audio Interface
* Chamption Motor Sports springs
* 7mm front and 15mm rear spacers
* OEM turbo wing
* BMC air filters

Couple other things to do (including shots of "new" wheels) before I take full shots and reviews.

Here are some pics of the turbo wing from my old car (transformed from red to black).

Last edited by taylorcoleman; 03-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Looking forward to the pictures.
How much did the H&R Springs lower the car.
How did you come to chose H&R .
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
motionless is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

What modifications were need to get the Turbo wing to fit? Any cutting involved? Looks great!

Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lockie
Looking forward to the pictures.
How much did the H&R Springs lower the car.
How did you come to chose H&R .
Thanks.
Sorry, they are Chamption Motorsport Springs. They lower the car about 1.5" -- just enough but not too much.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by motionless
What modifications were need to get the Turbo wing to fit? Any cutting involved? Looks great!
Thanks!

I will post another thread dedicated to turbo wing conversion. The wing itself is a direct fit. There's an additional support strut, wiring harness, and some other things to do (including snorkel work) that need to be performed. My wing is presently set to the up position as we're still waiting on some wiring.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
e3113v is infamous around these parts
Taylorcoleman,
I like what you've done to the car in such a short time. My 05 C2S was undergoing a similar transformation (prior to trading it in), ie. enhancing the performance aspects of a great, sports daily driver.

Your comments on the short shift kit (SSK) are spot on. When I was test driving GT3's, the most pronounced difference in DRIVER INTERFACE (pedals, steering and shifter) was the SSK. Clutch stiffness and uptake were similar. Steering felt similar. But it was the short shifter's precise mechanism leading to deliberate, focused shifts that really contributed to a performance-oriented machine. I like it more and had I known, I would have put it next on my mod list for the C2S.

Curious to see how you like the 20' wheels as mine came with 20' TechArts (way too heavy for a GT3 but they came with the car). Let us know your impressions after you've put some miles on.
Modding is addicting, eh?
Cheers,
-E.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, the mods on my '09 C2S are still progressing. Today the Sharkwerks bypass got installed along with some beautiful Fabspeed satin black dual exhaust tips. Next week she should have her shoes on (this will either be a great success or a miserable failure). Finally, the turbo wing is on, but we're still waiting for some wiring harnesses from Porsche (they keep sending the wrong ones).

Somehow along my C2S modding I had a shot of nostalgia. Today I bought a 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa. I've always loved the air-cooled 3.2 engines and the guards red with tan leather interior is my favorite combo. So I'm adding this car to my list of C2S mods since I picked her up in the process. Only dealer pics at the moment -- I'll snap pics of her late next week when she arrives.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Late to the discussion, but I went from 997.1 C2S to 997.1 GT3 to 997.2 C2S (see signature for specs and mods). No regrets whatsoever. The car is both a great street car and a track monster, but without the negative side effects the GT3 had.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
Late to the discussion, but I went from 997.1 C2S to 997.1 GT3 to 997.2 C2S (see signature for specs and mods). No regrets whatsoever. The car is both a great street car and a track monster, but without the negative side effects the GT3 had.
Aside from the front lip what side effects did the Gt3 have ? I have not driven the 2010 car as a precaution NOT to buy it.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
You'd have to read my previous posts / reviews of the two cars for the full list. GT3 was obviously not as good a street car as either C2S was/is. Scraping on every driveway, speed bump, and even some intersections, reduced rear visibility due to the wing, hard clutch spring was painful in stop/go traffic, suspension was harsher (obviousy), etc. The 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM is pretty much the perfect compromise. If I wanted a full-out race car on a trailer, I'd get a cup car. And if I wanted a pure street car, I'd be happy with a C2 or C2S with stock suspension. But the 09+ C2S w/ Sport PASM gives me the best of both worlds and the modest modifications (ie: Control arms, SSK, Softronic, Sharky Bypass) continue to bridge the gap (other mods would have been made to either car - roll bar, seats, harnesses, pads, fluid, etc.).

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
You'd have to read my previous posts / reviews of the two cars for the full list. GT3 was obviously not as good a street car as either C2S was/is. Scraping on every driveway, speed bump, and even some intersections, reduced rear visibility due to the wing, hard clutch spring was painful in stop/go traffic, suspension was harsher (obviousy), etc. The 09 C2S w/ Sport PASM is pretty much the perfect compromise. If I wanted a full-out race car on a trailer, I'd get a cup car. And if I wanted a pure street car, I'd be happy with a C2 or C2S with stock suspension. But the 09+ C2S w/ Sport PASM gives me the best of both worlds and the modest modifications (ie: Control arms, SSK, Softronic, Sharky Bypass) continue to bridge the gap (other mods would have been made to either car - roll bar, seats, harnesses, pads, fluid, etc.).
I see your reference point . I tend to be willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort as long as certain parameters are established. I did sit in a 10 gt3 and also started it up but never drove it. The clutch was easier to press than my stage 3 Turbo clutch with the power assist removed and the exhaust note was my favorite stock note . It is a less comfortable street car than a 997S . I feel what captures me most about the Gt3 is its engineering quality and artistic design . It's unique enough to place it in its own class .

Had the prices not been so good in July on the 997S I wold have bought the Gt3. In fact I feel somewhat stalled with my 997S in that since its not a Gt3 I have no desire to add aerokit or wheels because it will never be a Gt3 . It may even be more technologically advanced with PDK and mods but it lacks the purity of what the Gt3 is all about .

For some the Gt3 is for the track . For me these cars are more like fine art . Everyone appreciates them differently . I picked the better value with the heavily discounted 09 S but I don't feel that i picked the better car . That's what holds me back from test driving one .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Journey Starts: from GT3 to 997.2