997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Journey Starts: from GT3 to 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Nice

I am very much looking forward to seeing your cars end results of the most recent wave of mods.... and thanks for posting... I would start a new thread when your done as well showcasing your 09 with the mod list etc.... Nothing better to me on this forum then to see a boring stock car go to something unique and different. Thanks for posting and keeping us updated and congrats on the new Targa, fun classic.....Look forward to the pics!!!!

Yrralis1, I watch all the GTboard races and love what they put out and agree the Turbo vs other none turbo P cars is just amazing to see.... we all know the S is no slouch but to see it get completely embarrassed like that shows just how much juice the turbo has. I have a none S 997, so the results would be even worse! I would love for them to release a 997 SC car vs a 997s none supercahrged car and then vs a Turbo.... I know the turbo would still walk a SC car but just curious as to by how much...

Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Well, the mods on my '09 C2S are still progressing. Today the Sharkwerks bypass got installed along with some beautiful Fabspeed satin black dual exhaust tips. Next week she should have her shoes on (this will either be a great success or a miserable failure). Finally, the turbo wing is on, but we're still waiting for some wiring harnesses from Porsche (they keep sending the wrong ones).

Somehow along my C2S modding I had a shot of nostalgia. Today I bought a 1987 Porsche Carrera Targa. I've always loved the air-cooled 3.2 engines and the guards red with tan leather interior is my favorite combo. So I'm adding this car to my list of C2S mods since I picked her up in the process. Only dealer pics at the moment -- I'll snap pics of her late next week when she arrives.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-12-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Minoclan is infamous around these parts
I went from an 04 GT3 with a cup car suspension to an 06 Cab (loaded) and a 70RS clone track car. I can honestly say that I don't regret the decision to make the change. The GT3 was not a great street car, especially after the suspension change, and $ signs would flash in my brain every time the car got a little loose at the track.

It amazed me how much I liked the cab in sport mode. I smile every time I see or drive a GT3, but 18 months later I still think that I did the right thing. BTW, my daily driver is a 4.2 Q7.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Yeah, surely rear seats could have been added to the GT3. Would have cost some $, but probably much less than the financial hit you've taken by buying and selling all those cars in the past year. Just a thought.
.2 GT3s can not have rear seats added as the factory lessened the metal (structural integrity) under the rear compartment -from 2 layers of under belly to one, I believe. Anyway, rear seats on a .2 3 would not be a good idea.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I've been silent on providing updates to my journey from the GT3 to the 997.2S. I still owe a review and sound clips of my incredible Cargraphic side mufflers coupled with the Sharkwerks bypass -- truly an amazing sound for what this car is.

I was also in the market for a set of aftermarket wheels. That transaction did not work out, so I sought a different solution. I took a risk here, and for me, it paid off as I love the outcome. I know this look is not for everyone -- that's for sure -- but I think it sets this car apart.

I had my stock rims powder coated a semi-gloss black with a semi-gloss guards red trim. I think the pics below fairly well represent what it looks like in person, but the colors are more pronounced in person. These will be complemented shortly with Guards Red seatbelts.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM
chuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura aboutchuckrim has a spectacular aura about
Car looks great. Looking forward to those sound clips!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
I can understand the journey you are on. I have done similar things in the past, just not with Porsche's. Your 997 looks great and the 87' Carrera is a fantastic pick up. That car is a keeper.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I've a friend that went from an '08 Boxster, to an '08 C2 cab., to an '08 C2S coupe, to an '08 Turbo, back to an '08 C2S coupe, to an '08 C2S cab., and then to an '09 Boxster. Other DD cars were also bought and sold during this time, including a Cayenne and Cayenne GTS. He couldn't make up his mind, never gave too much thought as to what he was doing, and so was never satisfied. He lost so much that he is now in a Boxster instead of a 911.

J

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
^^^that's a sucky outcome for sure.

It takes patience and astute decisions on the buy side.

I described this process in detail in another thread. In short, don't buy a car on emotion. Search nationally and buy from a seller that was not in "heavy" on the car but very motivated to sell. Then drive until you want to move on. On the sell side, use a professional broker so that the sale is retail, not dealer trade in. This is where patience pays off. As long as you don't need to sell quickly, you should be good. I'd you live in a state where you pay sales tax only on the delta then buying another car for the same price won't incur sales tax. Then take the delta in your buy versa sell price. Divide that by the months you had the car. If you do this right, this effective monthly cost should be much less than if you leased the car. So you don't actually lose money if the effective monthly cost of the transaction is leas than a lease and you get the benefit if not having a 36 month or greater comittment. That's how it's worked for me each time.

Sounds as if your friend didn't follow this strategy. If you buy and sell on emotion you can lose big bucks very quickly. I wish tour friend a swift financial recovery.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
As part of my documentation to the journey from GT3 to 997.2S, I did mention that the '10 GT3 was my 2nd favorite car of all times that I had. As previously stated, the 1997 Lotus Esprit (turbo standard) was my #1 favorite car. Arguably off topic, below is a pic of my then Lotus (which is actually a pic of a pic as I did not have a digital camera back in '97).