997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What criteria defines your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 PM
brewster16 is infamous around these parts
My DD is the BMW 750Li. It's very powerful and comfortable at the same time. It's solid and for a large luxury sedan it handles like a dream. You can't beat german engineering. Oh, and as far as fuel consumption and other environmental concerns.......a non issue for me. I guess I'm warming the planet one tank at a time.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
the ability to handle potholes and other kinda of holes (***).

Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Honda Accord

1. nobody looks at me or wants to talk to me about this car....

2. easy parking, good gas mileage, practical(good trunk, good cup holders, large back seats for the kids)

3. cheap...no need to want to mod it(although I had to get sways for the Accord, as this car drives horrendously)

4. high resale value.

I put over 20K miles on car/yr...to me its sacrilege to put that kind of miles on a Porsche...when I get in my C4S now, I appreciate it alot more now...when I used the C4S as dd I took it for granted and appreciated it less. Getting the Accord, for me, was a great move.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Very interesting replies . What a huge variety of daily drivers too .

It seems like there are three big distinctions --

1) Worry -- Some members don't face the same type of worry or concern with car theft /vandalism --dings . That perception might lead one to select a Honda over a MB c63 . I somewhat feel like I have both bases covered with the M3 and Honda Si --but it does point towards TWO daily drivers . In short --even the daily driver has a daily driver replacement.

2) Space -- A large vehicle (van or SUV) tends to point towards a family car or a person who has large pets.

3) Cost -- Some try to save money with the DD while othes select a more spacious car at the same level as the Porsche in terms of price to have the pratical needs balanced. But then it can also tap into #1 (worry) for others .

I feel I have a good combination and wonder what the next one will be. I wonder if others play musical chairs with their cars where the overall driving experience higes on the combination of the cars .

As for the select few who drive the Porsche daily -- I may come to that with my semi garage queen Porsches . It wouild depend on how old the cars are at the point when my DD loses its reliability.

I would have such atough time watching my Turbo grow old with miles. Maybe I'm just so fond of the car that the effort to keep it longer than any car i have ever owned is my hope. Sometimes one sells a car and remembers it many years later and wishes he kept it. I already know in advance that i will always think of my Turbo this way .. so the daily drivers all have one primary objective -- they are the the support system of the Turbo's preservation.
They are like the team who blocks for the quaterback --or bees who safeguard the queen bee.

The DD therefore .. is vital to the Turbo. I guess that's the base for my criteria.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
A daily driver is any car I don't have to put on a trailer to get to my destination.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
My DD is a 2003 Toyota Corolla. It doesn't even have power windows or locks. =) Reliable as a wood burning stove!

I'm thinking about getting a early model year Boxster to take to the track. I'm not particularly sure what I'll do with three cars lying around in the apartment complex or how to split time between all of them. I feel like I'd need to keep the Corolla around since it has more room and I dread taking the stick shifts into San Francisco.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
Lexus.....

Whisper quiet, runs forever

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM
afridi is infamous around these parts
Daily Driver:

Winter - Yukon
Summer- 997.2

In the old days I used my E46 M3 for both summers and winters. Did me well for the 4 .5 years I had it.

Thinking of using the Porsche the next winter except on heavy snow days. Just hate seeing in parked in the garage doing nothing.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
RPRyan55 is infamous around these partsRPRyan55 is infamous around these parts
My criteria for my DD:

*Fun
*Better gas mileage than my 997s
*Fun

GTI for me. Fun, great gas mileage, fast and easily (and cheaply) modified to great performance. Small, easy to park, and I could care less if it gets dinged.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
chrcook is infamous around these parts
I just replaced a heavily modifed M3 with a 997.2 C2S. Of course, I live in Michigan, so I use snow tires for half the year. Also, put two simpon child seats in the rear for the kids. 911s are definately family cars!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:44 AM
borderless is infamous around these parts
2010 C4S just became my DD

I drive 70+ miles/day for work. Lots of highway and only a few city streets.

My other car is a Mercedes CL63.

I bought the C4S last week to use as my DD.

I'm wondering... do people look for a daily driver because it's more practical ($$$, socially, family-wise, etc) or because they find the 997 uncomfortable to drive on daily basis?

Personally, I'm loving it. Yes - it's definitely louder and not nearly has buffered from the road as my CL is, etc... but that's why I got it.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by borderless
I drive 70+ miles/day for work. Lots of highway and only a few city streets.

My other car is a Mercedes CL63.

I bought the C4S last week to use as my DD.

I'm wondering... do people look for a daily driver because it's more practical ($$$, socially, family-wise, etc) or because they find the 997 uncomfortable to drive on daily basis?

Personally, I'm loving it. Yes - it's definitely louder and not nearly has buffered from the road as my CL is, etc... but that's why I got it.
1) Practical -- One car would be cheaper than two . When I bought my first Porsche (15 years ago) I could barely afford it. At that time the idea of having a separate car seemed extravagant .

2) Socially -- I didn't choose my car based on what others think . My car is an honest representation of an item that has significance in my life .

3) Comfort -- I feel the 911 is a very comfortable car considering its design purpose. If my priority was comfort I probably would have bought a luxury sedan . .

I bought the daily driver to preserve the Porsches . The city , the parking, the mundane miles . rain , supermarkets , malls .... just seem like an increased exposure of the things which make a car age . It costs more to have a daily driver but when I get in my Porsches they feel new .That means so much to me. Now of course one can spend years pampering a car and still get a dent on a low mile car .. but the longer i have the cars in good shape the more I feel I am enjoying them .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-24-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
I faced the same issue recently, and I ordered an M3 coupe for European Delivery in May. My thinking was this:
  • I'll spend a lot of my driving hours in this vehicle, thus it has to have German engineering. Good Japanese engineering can be amusing, but it will never result in a love affair. The M3 has a great balance of performance, reliability, safety, and comfort, and I anticipate great enjoyment on a regular basis.
  • I thought about, and drove, the Panamera. Great sports sedan handling -- remarkable for a large car -- but too big for day-to-day use. I don't need a roomy car (no more kids, dogs, etc.) and do not like the way they perform. Perhaps if I did more long road trips I would consider one.
  • Of some of the cars mentioned by others, my son is in the Marines and I have his Outback is at our house temporarily. I admire that car for being very good value and for not being disagreeable, but it's a bit anemic (even with the stick), and I always wind up driving it very gently. It does possess a lot of the attributes you listed, however, although I understand the current model is only available in automatic. The member who drives the GTI is on the right track, from my perspective. In a way it's like a baby M3.
Life's tough having to make such complicated decisions!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
superman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nice
my porsche is my daily driver....i dont have the will power to leave it parked in the garage

Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
awl_danville is infamous around these parts
My thoughts around a DD echo that of others:
Fun to drive - but must have auto trans
Practical - 4 seats and decent room in trunk/boot
Reasonably economical to operate

I've had a 2 door '07 GTI for the past 2 1/2 years - great car with DSG and the 18's. Fast and practical. I have had a number of BMWs in the past and as much as I liked the new GTI I missed a BMW.
We now have a baby on the way and needed a 4dr---so I just picked up a pre-owned BMW 335i last week---sport/prem/nav. Not as economical but it is a rocket, includes free maint and has 4 doors. GTI will go up for sale this month.

As much as I would love to drive the 997 daily---I'm in sales and at 20k miles a year+ it doesn't make sense. I do drive the Porsche at least 1-2 times a week to work--can't resist... and of course on weekends.

Good luck with your search.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What criteria defines your daily driver?