997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Downside to wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk10438
I'd wait and avoid buying wheels that require spacers for the following reason. Porsche offsets are very conservative. On my C4S, I have the turbo wheels ET 51 (recommended size for wide bodies) and the wheels seriously look sunken in to me. So I tried Porsche 5mm spacers and it still didn't look right. Now I have 15mm spacers and it looks much better. So, if you want a more aggressive look in the future, and you already had 17mm spacers (the difference between the NB and WB), you would have to get a 32 mm spacer which I think is HUGE!
Actually, my RG5B's, with 62mm offset and 18mm spacers, looked great on my Targa. The 11 1/2" rims add 1/4" more spacing out than the standard 11" rims.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Actually, my RG5B's, with 62mm offset and 18mm spacers, looked great on my Targa. The 11 1/2" rims add 1/4" more spacing out than the standard 11" rims.
ok
I guess I didn't realize that the champion offsets were significantly different than the Porsche offsets.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
so is it safe to run spacers for occasional track days?...cause I have OEM turbo wheels with 57 and 51mm offset and was thinking of doing 5mm and 15mm spacer...but wouldnt do it if its unsafe even for occasional track days.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
as previously mentioned, some of the wide body porsches came with the 17mm Porsche spacer from the factory. not sure if this was limited to the sport design wheels or not. this was so they could put NB wheels on as WB car so I would find it hard to believe that spacers would be unsafe, track or otherwise.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
ok
I guess I didn't realize that the champion offsets were significantly different than the Porsche offsets.
62mm is not that much different from the 67mm Porsche NB wheel - less than 1/4in and it is the same as OEM NB Wheels with a 5mm spacer.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
as previously mentioned, some of the wide body porsches came with the 17mm Porsche spacer from the factory. this was limited to the sport design wheels. this was so they could put NB wheels on as WB car so I would find it hard to believe that spacers would be unsafe, track or otherwise.
They used the spacers up to 08 wide body cars with the Sport Design Wheels. For 09 they made NEW SD wheels that fit the wide body cars and NO spacers are installed.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mact3333
so is it safe to run spacers for occasional track days?...cause I have OEM turbo wheels with 57 and 51mm offset and was thinking of doing 5mm and 15mm spacer...but wouldnt do it if its unsafe even for occasional track days.
I have run my spaces on the track, don't even know they are there.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by SKYKING
They used the spacers up to 08 wide body cars with the Sport Design Wheels. For 09 they made NEW SD wheels that fit the wide body cars and NO spacers are installed.
don't get me wrong, I'd prefer not using spacers myself, someone questioned whether or not spacers were safe.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
superman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nice
15mm on the rear looks great

Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
Hubcentric...

If using spacers for the purpose of getting a set of wheels a bit sooner, I'd just be patient and get the right wheel. That said, spacers with the right bolts, torque, etc. should be just fine for street driving.

Caveat... I had an S4 with 10mm H&R spacers which floated between the wheel and the car, and the spacers did not have a centering lip (hubcentric). I found that from time-to-time one of my front wheels would get a bit of a vibration at speed, similar to an improperly balanced wheel. I checked and checked again (switch sides, removing one spacer on one side, process of elimination etc), but the only answer came back to needing a hubcentric spacer to ensure a truly centered fit.

NorthVan hasn't had any issue... awesome! But, just a warning that I did have an issue that could only be solved with going to a 15mm spacer (which had a centering lip on it). I don't believe they make a hubcentric spacer any less than 15mm.

Anyway, just my 2 cents... and my 15th Post!!! Yeah.

J.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by strashek
If using spacers for the purpose of getting a set of wheels a bit sooner, I'd just be patient and get the right wheel. That said, spacers with the right bolts, torque, etc. should be just fine for street driving.

Caveat... I had an S4 with 10mm H&R spacers which floated between the wheel and the car, and the spacers did not have a centering lip (hubcentric). I found that from time-to-time one of my front wheels would get a bit of a vibration at speed, similar to an improperly balanced wheel. I checked and checked again (switch sides, removing one spacer on one side, process of elimination etc), but the only answer came back to needing a hubcentric spacer to ensure a truly centered fit.

NorthVan hasn't had any issue... awesome! But, just a warning that I did have an issue that could only be solved with going to a 15mm spacer (which had a centering lip on it). I don't believe they make a hubcentric spacer any less than 15mm.

Anyway, just my 2 cents... and my 15th Post!!! Yeah.

J.
I wouldn't want to go any thicker then 7mm without the centering lip, there seems to be just enough to bite on to.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Porsche OEM spacers are 5mm and that's as far as i will go on my cars. I have them on the white PDK for the same reasons that NorthVan mentions .

I was more hesitant with the Turbo but had to gain clearance when I added the BBK system. Again we chose OEM spacers . At one point I almost replaced the wheel but I just love the C20.
I found some nice 6mm spacers from Ralph Boothe Design. Along with HIGH QUALITY chrome lugs

I'm with you and wouldn't go much larger than 5mm.
I'll try to post a pic soon even though my wheels are dirty

Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
agreed, wouldnt feel comfy doing any more than 5mm up front...I did 5mm OEM spacer up front and 15mm H&R hubcentric in rear...the difference is noticeable in look and feel of car but the pics in this link doesnt show it very well.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tall-pics.html

Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
If the rims dont work with the OEM spacers I personally wouldnt bother with them.
The oem spacers are good in they way they provide the correct length bolts and also fix to the hubs so they dont fall off when the wheel comes off. However, you will need to take much more car when taking the wheels on and off so not to take paint off the calipers as the spacer spigot's arent as deep as the hubs, meaning the rims can easily slip off the shallow spigots when you are trying to locate the wheel bolts into the holes .

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I'd wait for the correct wheel dimensions and pass on the spacers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downside to wheel spacers?