997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

why do some have triangle and some have round?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
why do some have triangle and some have round?

So I am going to be getting a 05/06 C2 or maybe C2S and have noticed that some of the steering wheels have a large triangle center and some have a nice round center. Can someone tell me why? Are they different other than shape?

Thanks
Phil

Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
The circular bag is for the sport "contoured" wheel, options. The standard wheel has a triangular airbag, the older multifunction wheels also had the triangular bag.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
thank you!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
no problem.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, my thanks as well. I never knew or understood why they made both. Is the same true for the .2's?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I really dont like the triangle one. If the car I want has one, can it be switched without a huge ordeal?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
topspd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gloves
I really dont like the triangle one. If the car I want has one, can it be switched without a huge ordeal?
If it comes with the triangular wheel then you'll need to buy the circular airbag as well as the wheel. It's not difficult if you're handy, the first time took me a little longer but I just switched again recently and it took less than 10 mins.

Here's a link to a thread about the swap (albeit starting with the circular airbag, but I'm sure the process is identical); https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-install.html

On the 997.1;

Triangular-bag wheel is standard on the non-S, included as part of optional wheels - smooth leather (459), multifunctions (431, XPV, 451, 452, 453), Suncoast sells an alcantara and multifunctional alcantara but I don't have the original option codes.
Circular-bag wheel is standard on the S, optional on the non-S (435) and included as part of optional wheels - smooth leather (460), thicker smooth leather (XPA), GT3 in alcantara, GT3RS in alcantara with yellow centering stripe

On the 997.2;

2009 - same wheels as 997.1 unless ordered with PDK.
2010+ 997.2's have the new wheels with the new airbags.

Last edited by topspd; 02-23-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Corrected and cleaned up for reference purposes, thanks keninirvine
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
no ordeal, just money. You`ll need to get new steering wheel.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
topspd,

Thanks. I did not know all that.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Holly...

The new wheel without the airbag is almost $1,000

So I guess I am going to look for one that already has it or ask for a really nice gift some time.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Holly...

So I guess I am going to look for one that already has it or ask for a really nice gift some time.
If you would wanted a triangular one I have a spare one to sell.

IMHO it is very subjective which wheel is better. I like triangular better than round one. To each its own. Check out what aftermarket offers before buying another stock wheel. TechArt makes nice wheels and some other companies as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topspd

On the 997.1, the triangular-bag wheel is standard on the non-S and the circular-bag wheel is standard on the S. If the S was ordered with the multifunction wheel or thicker wheel option then you got the triangular-bag wheel. If the non-S was ordered with the sport wheel option then you got the circular-bag wheel.

2009 997.2's used the same wheels as the 997.1 unless you ordered PDK. 2010+ 997.2's have the new wheels with the new airbags.
Minor correction to the underlined quote above: the main thicker wheel option is the XPA, which is a padded leather sport wheel (and wonderful). I don't think there were many thicker MF wheels ordered. My car has a leather covered MF wheel, but it isn't thicker like the XPA option sport wheel.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Holly...

If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get a padded leather sport wheel, which sells for around $1300 at Sunset Porsche (without airbag). It feels 100% better than the standard plastic-feeling sport wheel IMO.

Depending on what I do for my latest car, I may have a stone gray XPA sport wheel for sale.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get a padded leather sport wheel, which sells for around $1300 at Sunset Porsche (without airbag). It feels 100% better than the standard plastic-feeling sport wheel IMO.

Depending on what I do for my latest car, I may have a stone gray XPA sport wheel for sale.
To be fair that is for this http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=997alc which is a GT3 wheel.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
To be fair that is for this http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=997alc which is a GT3 wheel.
That is a nice wheel too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why do some have triangle and some have round?