997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dealer inspected my IMS while replacing the RMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
That has been std procedure for a long time. The tool measures the out-of-center error of the IMS. If within tolerance they replace the seal. It does not check the health of the IMS or its bearings though.
Wouldn't there be slop / out of center conditions if the bearing was at risk? Not arguing your point, I am asking for your opinion.

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Call Vortex in Tampa. They have a car now that had failure due to a SC, plus they have another SC'd car having issues. There was another forum members car that blew the engine after a SC was installed although he did track it it with the SC. That car is now at BGB Motorsports.

When I was at Vortex...my indy shop, I was talking to the techs about SCing a stock 996 or 997 engine they and advised highly against it but they would be happy to take my money and install a SC and then take my money to replace the engine when it blows. The stock engine (ie compression ratio, pistons valve train and so forth) is not designed for the boost. They did say that Porsche engines tolorate turbo charging better but even that the compression ration/ pistons, cams and internals need to be designed for this type of application.

No need for you to get mad at me as I am just chimming in with the experiance of others and what they have told me and what I have personally seen. If you want to SC you STOCK engine go ahead and have at it.
First of all I want to apologize to mdrums(also sent a PM),
If I cam across like I was angry I am sorry,I am not BUT just when I hear something THAT can affect me I want to find info on the matter.

OK I called VORTEX(not sure who I was talking to BUT a very pleasant fellow) and they couldn't answer WHY the motor went,piston,IMS ,cylinder miss-fire or otherwise.......
He just said that being an NA car with FI can be risking and more prone to something happening.Which we all know can happen when adding THAT much more power.
I asked him IF it was supercharger related a few times BUT again he couldn't answer for sure because they had NOT pulled the motor apart.HE wasn't even sure IF it was an IMS failure...just that the motor was done!
Maybe he just didn't want to say,after-all he has NO idea who I am!

He did say the customer was going back to NA though!
One thing for sure IS you have to have the right shop install your supercharger/turbo or YES you may have problems from a bad install BUT engine failure,I have no idea.

I just want to say that IMS have/can happen on a stock motor,the question IS will adding an FI system amplify the chance of an IMS failure.....I personally have NO idea BUT would LOVE to know!
MORE info IS needed to draw a conclusion and IF anyone who HAS had an IMS failure due to FI please chime in and give us some details.....PLEASE.

Stacy

P.S......some very NICE rides at Vortex Motorsports!

Last edited by justatoy; 03-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Thanks justatoy...no issues just didnot want you to be angery at me as I am just putting my thoughts into this thread.

Carlos, Ralph and Sara at Vortex would be a good ones to speak to. Not knowing you they probably will not tell you everything but I hang at the shop and get my work done there so walking around looking and asking questions gets me further.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The failure rate of the 2006+ IMS bearings seems to be lower than the rate for earlier bearings. However, you also cannot upgrade the later bearings to the LN Engineering retrofit bearing as the new OEM bearing is too large to pull out of the case. Just a note.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks justatoy...no issues just didnot want you to be angery at me as I am just putting my thoughts into this thread.

Carlos, Ralph and Sara at Vortex would be a good ones to speak to. Not knowing you they probably will not tell you everything but I hang at the shop and get my work done there so walking around looking and asking questions gets me further.
Agreed...it would!

Thanks again for responding to my PM!

Stacy

Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I had my SCd 997s as a daily driver for about a year and put on about 20k miles. No problems at all.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I am such a track rat that I believe a sc'd car would not work for me. So I will just live vicarusally ( did I spell that right? Lol) through you all. I do wish you guys that tackle this type of mod were my neighbor... Wow whaat fun. I have boring neighbors