997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dealer inspected my IMS while replacing the RMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
Dealer inspected my IMS while replacing the RMS

All;

I want to pass on the info: Sunset Porsche inspected my IMS while the car was having the RMS replaced under warranty. They have a tool to inspect the assembly for any play.

In addition, they replaced the RMS with an updated assembly.

If you have the RMS repaired, be sure to ask for the IMS inspection. It was great to hear that my car was flawless. No slop at all (22k miles on a early 2005 C2 Cab.)

Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am really glad that you posted this . Awhile back there was a thread on IMS and upon remembering my 2002 996 car (had RMS) . I thought the two were related to my repair at that time (post number 9) .
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-failures.html

It seems like most who are concerned have 05 cars or the 996 models .

Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Fly
It is my understanding the that they changed the bearing design in late 2005. All 2006 and up have the new design. Our dealer has not seen the problem on a 997, but has seen it happen on other models (Early 996/Boxster.)

I just wanted to let the community know they have a method of testing the assembly while the transmission is out of the car. I will have it checked every time that happens (Clutch, etc.)

The more I read the more I have learned that it is rare to see a failure in the 997 model. I had an early NSX in snap-ring range (a tool in the factory broke and the slot for the retaining ring was not deep enough in the case to hold the assembly over time. When it let go it was catastrophic to the transmission) and worried about it the first year I owned the car. I drove it for 10 years w/o any problems.

It also seems that people in the very unfortunate position of IMS failure are helped by Porsche in replacement costs. It seems justified that a car built, priced, and marketed to the driving enthusiast should last more than 4 years/50k miles.

Last edited by Fly; 03-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Fly
It is also evident that the IMS assembly can hold up under extreme conditions. Isn't JustAToy's car a x-SC 2005?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fly
All;

I want to pass on the info: Sunset Porsche inspected my IMS while the car was having the RMS replaced under warranty. They have a tool to inspect the assembly for any play.

If you have the RMS repaired, be sure to ask for the IMS inspection. It was great to hear that my car was flawless. No slop at all (22k miles on a early 2005 C2 Cab.)
My car is going in the shop for the RMS next week, I hope. Do you have any intell on the tool they used? Was it a Porsche tool or another tool that was used to check the play?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Fly
My best guess is it is a Porsche tool. He stated they insert it to check for any play in the assembly. Next time I am by the shop I will ask to take a picture or get some additional detail on its use.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Thanks!!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
My car is an early 05 997SC, and as I am running an SC, I am concerned. When I get my RMS fixed, which my dealer said is simply a matter of course, I will have them take a look at the IMS, too.
CATTMAN

Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
In looking for source of a mild weaping of oil on the bellhousing, my dealer replaced the IMS bearing and seal. Not the RMS. Clearly written as such on the report. Looked to be about $1500 including pulling the transmission - covered under warranty.
Mine is an '07, very early build (mid '06) with only 24k miles.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fly
All;

That has been std procedure for a long time. The tool measures the out-of-center error of the IMS. If within tolerance they replace the seal. It does not check the health of the IMS or its bearings though.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Sunset Porsche service are good people. Nothing but positive things to say about them.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Sunset Porsche service are good people. Nothing but positive things to say about them.
You got that right ...Dave the service advisor is good to work with...TJ the newbie tech got rid of 6 different rattles on my dash and they even replaced the chrono as this was rattling abit too...they even figured out why my remote would only work from 3 ft away...Im not going to say what the cause of all the problems was because it was covered under warranty and dont want to get them in trouble...

Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fly
It is also evident that the IMS assembly can hold up under extreme conditions. Isn't JustAToy's car a x-SC 2005?
There is a 06 Carrera S at my local indy Porsche shop getting a new engine due to a supercharger install that caused the IMS bearing to go bad among other things. There have been a few SC'd 997 engines that have had issues after a SC intall on this forum and other locals. It's not that the engines are not strong it is that the compression raito, pistons, valve train ect are not designed for a SC.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
There is a 06 Carrera S at my local indy Porsche shop getting a new engine due to a supercharger install that caused the IMS bearing to go bad among other things. There have been a few SC'd 997 engines that have had issues after a SC intall on this forum and other locals. It's not that the engines are not strong it is that the compression raito, pistons, valve train ect are not designed for a SC.
Are you saying JUST superchargers or all types of forced induction?
How many have you seen/heard of!
I am assuming you know of at least 6 IMS failures because of a supercharger.....
1 at Indy Porsche,"a few",meaning at least 3 on the forum, and "other locals",at least 2....

I know of ONE that a motor went bad and my understanding IS it has NOTHING to do with a supercharger/forced induction.

That car at Indy Porsche you mentioned above MAY have had the dreaded IMS failure with or without the supercharger....NO?
But we will never know now!
There are a lot of cars running forced induction,some WITH very high miles.I find it hard to believe THAT the FI IS the reason for the failure,I haven't heard of ONE for the reason you posted above BUT I am NOT knowledgeable on the subject of FI and IMS failure other than WHAT I read here and JUST because I read it,doesn't mean I believe it.

Which is why,I would love to be able to get in touch with these people you mentioned aboave.....for information,so please any info you can get me would be appreciated.

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 03-01-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Call Vortex in Tampa. They have a car now that had failure due to a SC, plus they have another SC'd car having issues. There was another forum members car that blew the engine after a SC was installed although he did track it it with the SC. That car is now at BGB Motorsports.

When I was at Vortex...my indy shop, I was talking to the techs about SCing a stock 996 or 997 engine they and advised highly against it but they would be happy to take my money and install a SC and then take my money to replace the engine when it blows. The stock engine (ie compression ratio, pistons valve train and so forth) is not designed for the boost. They did say that Porsche engines tolorate turbo charging better but even that the compression ration/ pistons, cams and internals need to be designed for this type of application.

No need for you to get mad at me as I am just chimming in with the experiance of others and what they have told me and what I have personally seen. If you want to SC you STOCK engine go ahead and have at it.
Originally Posted by justatoy
Are you saying JUST superchargers or all types of forced induction?
How many have you seen/heard of!
I am assuming you know of at least 6 IMS failures because of a supercharger.....
1 at Indy Porsche,"a few",meaning at least 3 on the forum, and "other locals",at least 2....

I know of ONE that a motor went bad and my understanding IS it has NOTHING to do with a supercharger/forced induction.

That car at Indy Porsche you mentioned above MAY have had the dreaded IMS failure with or without the supercharger....NO?
But we will never know now!
There are a lot of cars running forced induction,some WITH very high miles.I find it hard to believe THAT the FI IS the reason for the failure,I haven't heard of ONE for the reason you posted above BUT I am NOT knowledgeable on the subject of FI and IMS failure other than WHAT I read here and JUST because I read it,doesn't mean I believe it.

Which is why,I would love to be able to get in touch with these people you mentioned aboave.....for information,so please any info you can get me would be appreciated.

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer inspected my IMS while replacing the RMS