997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Upper strut mount bearings worn out...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
Upper strut mount bearings worn out...

Car: 2006 Carrera 4s Coupe

Issue: Intermittent noise caused by the front upper mount strut bearings failing/wearing out. The diagnosis is from inspection at the local Porsche dealership.

The pcar has 20" rims with aftermarket H&R springs in order to lower the vehicle. Of course, this has resulted in more stress on the car than if the wheels/springs had been left stock. Before posting this thread, I have searched the forum and online in order to further understand this issue.

I would appreciate replies with information such as;
Options, such as: replace bearings and any other associated part showing wear and therefore needs it, or go another route, such as going with proper components for these bigger wheels, as the car originally came with 19" wheels and because it is not designed when anything bigger is installed, this problem is to be expected.

I like the wheels and will not be changing to something else.
Details on components that are designed with this issue in mind, such as -- different shocks, etc...

This technical area I am unfamiliar with and why I would like to get input from readers.
The approximate "shop hours" involved for replacing the bearings, and an alignment would then be needed also, plus what else?

I'd like to get an idea of the cost for this repair, for the different options to correct it, and/or to put in the new bearings and down the road, lol, the problem will eventually happen again.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
update... info/help?

Anybody have any info or help on this subject, perhaps I posted it in the wrong section.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hmmm how many miles are on the car? Those bearings are certainly a wear & tear item, but they typically don't go bad at low mileage, even with lowering springs. Then again, it could be a combination of road conditions you typically encounter, mileage, etc.

Your best option would be to simply replace the bearings with new OEM pieces and call it a day. But as you said, the problem may return eventually.

Another option would be to upgrade your suspension while you the chance. Sure, it's more costly, but especially running 20's, a good coilover setup will give you a much better ride then lowering springs, and also allow you to fine tune your ride height with those bigger wheels filling up the wheel-wells.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Perhaps a visit to Weissach or Scan for a second opinion or quote my be worth while.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gordon9898
Car: 2006 Carrera 4s Coupe

Issue: Intermittent noise caused by the front upper mount strut bearings failing/wearing out. The diagnosis is from inspection at the local Porsche dealership.

The pcar has 20" rims with aftermarket H&R springs in order to lower the vehicle. Of course, this has resulted in more stress on the car than if the wheels/springs had been left stock.

At least you know why.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Good point, I actually drove over to Scan last week but they had a sign on the door, "closed til March 1". Because of the Olympics. So I am of the same thought as you and have been waiting to get in there for a quote.

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Perhaps a visit to Weissach or Scan for a second opinion or quote my be worth while.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Car has 15,500 miles, (26km).
The 2 options that you describe are in line with my thoughts on this issue; either replace the worn bearings with the same oem bearings - with the understanding that this can/will happen again at some future time.
Or look at upgrading the suspension components properly, (this may be the necessary choice if it turns out that merely replacing the oem bearings is not sufficient, as perhaps other parts are being adversely affected enough that it shouldn't be set up like this.

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Hmmm how many miles are on the car? Those bearings are certainly a wear & tear item, but they typically don't go bad at low mileage, even with lowering springs. Then again, it could be a combination of road conditions you typically encounter, mileage, etc.

Your best option would be to simply replace the bearings with new OEM pieces and call it a day. But as you said, the problem may return eventually.

Another option would be to upgrade your suspension while you the chance. Sure, it's more costly, but especially running 20's, a good coilover setup will give you a much better ride then lowering springs, and also allow you to fine tune your ride height with those bigger wheels filling up the wheel-wells.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information in your post Tom,
I went to a local Pcar shop and they suggested I just replace the bearings with OEM pieces and that should be fine. This has been my thoughts also on the subject.

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1