997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Reflections at 10,000 Mlies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by P Diddy
great post. if I were you, I'd hold off on ordering a 2011 and wait for the all-new model that should debut in 2012 or 2013. that should be worth the wait.
Agreed.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by P Diddy
great post. if I were you, I'd hold off on ordering a 2011 and wait for the all-new model that should debut in 2012 or 2013. that should be worth the wait.
There are several advantages to being in your mid-60's: the kids are grown, the wife after 35 years still loves you (hopefully!), a little cash for some discretionary splurging, etc., etc. However, probably the biggest disadvantage is time (the great realization that there's not a lot of it left). My friends and I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

But, frankly, it was my understanding that the 2011 was suppose to be the all-new model.

Let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Vegasguy; 02-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
There are several advantages to being in your mid-60's: the kids are grown, the wife after 35 years still loves you (hopefully!), a little cash for some discretionary splurging, etc., etc. However, probably the biggest disadvantage is time (the great realization that there's not a lot of it left). My friends and I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

But, frankly, it was my understanding that the 2011 was suppose to be the all-new model.

Let me know. Thanks!
I am guessing 2012 . The Gt2 still isn't made yet .
However -since your current car is so reliabile and a redesign is not too far off --I'd keep it and get the full use out of it .

Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
it was my understanding that the 2011 was suppose to be the all-new model.

Let me know. Thanks!
If you are hard-core 911 fan you may not like the new model... with its 4" longer wheelbase.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mstams
Agreed.
definately wait to see what the 911 future holds. If 'Adias' is right, the 911 will completely change forever with this new model.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
If you are hard-core 911 fan you may not like the new model... with its 4" longer wheelbase.
adias,

I hope you are right and that every 911 purist totally hates the new model. That will increase the resale value of our 997's and then we can cash out just like all of the 993 owners did when the much un-loved 996 came out.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
adias,... much un-loved 996....
Some of us could write a check for a new 911, but we happen to like our 996's very much.

I understand the siren call of a new car, if you like your current car and it seems dependable, you can upgrade the exhausts, seats, stereo, etc. -- for less than what you'll drop in depreciation.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
,..................... and I had the tires re-balanced and rotated ($60)............................................. ...

First and most important, Congratulations! I just smile when I read those cracks about us old farts driving a P car.

Rotate tires? My OEM and replacement tires are directional (assymetrical) so you can't swap from side to side and of course not from front to back.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Some of us could write a check for a new 911, but we happen to like our 996's very much.
RF5BPilot,

I personally don't mind the look of the 966 and I wasn't trying to diss your ride. Please don't take my comment personally, it wasn't meant that way. With the 996 Porsche made an honest attempt to modernize the car with the so-called "pancake headlamps". Unfortunately, it was too much of a change for many of the purists some of whom have never recovered from the loss of the air cooled engines (get over it already guys ).

To be completel honest it was not only the controversial styling of the 996 that kept 993 resale values high but also the fact these were the last of the air cooled engines. Rumor has it that Jerry Seinfield got the very last 993 to come off the line.

Having said that I would still be very happy if more controversial styling came along and the result was that it kept the resale value of the 997's high.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Vegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to behold
Great post. My '06 turns 4 next month, and I just today bought an extended warranty so that I can enjoy it for at least another 5 years. I still go out in the garage for a quick look after all this time...

As far as new model envy goes, as a rule I would agree that the new model usually bumps things up a notch. But in the case of the M3, I'd rather have my E46 back than have a new one, so you never know.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
adias,

I hope you are right and that every 911 purist totally hates the new model. That will increase the resale value of our 997's and then we can cash out just like all of the 993 owners did when the much un-loved 996 came out.
Do not include me putting down the 996. I had a 996 and I loved it. The 996 saved Porsche and it's a key element in the 911 evolution

Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!!! I hear you on the options you wish you had - feel the same way about by Cayman S. Not that you NEED them or that you dont like your car without - but since a Porsche is SUCH a piece of rolling art - and if you are like me, almost another room in your house LOL you want to have exactly what you want. I say go order that new 911 and pass yours along to someone else looking to start the obsession

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Awesome.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
When I was purchasing mine, off the lot, I wished it didn't have so many options that I "don't need" so that the price would be lower. After it was all said and done, a few months later, I had changed my tune and was glad that the car was loaded.

J

Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tejoe
First and most important, Congratulations! I just smile when I read those cracks about us old farts driving a P car.

Rotate tires? My OEM and replacement tires are directional (assymetrical) so you can't swap from side to side and of course not from front to back.
My P-Car came with Michelin PS2's which are also directional, having a specific inside and outsde for mounting. At about 9,000 miles, I noticed a slight "shimmy," and figured it was tire wear. I had the tires spin-balanced, and told the tire shop to rotate them (side to side). The guy said you can't rotate those tires. Us "old guys" have learned to "go for what you know." I (politely) told them to rotate the tires anyway. Think about it, if the outside of the (mounted!!) tire on driver's side is walked around and put on the passenger side of the car. The outside of the tire is still outside, and still rolling in the same direction. You will, however, have to re-set the TPMS to reflect the tire change.

Last edited by Vegasguy; 02-28-2010 at 09:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.