997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Reflections at 10,000 Mlies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Reflections at 10,000 Mlies

I turned 10,000 miles on my '08 C2S today, after exactly 2.5 years, and thought I'd post my thoughts and observations on what for some reason seems like a milestone.
I ordered my P-Car for my 60th birthday, and took delivery in August 2007. It is lightly optioned, Macadamia Metalic, and Tiptronic. It has been a dream, and I am still as enchanted with my car as I was on the first day. I've had several sports cars (Vettes, 300Z's), but no car has ever felt like it was actually a part of my life as has my Porsche.
The P-Car is my first, and at the time I ordered it, it seemed like a lot of money (I suppose 100K is a lot of money), and I was trying to keep the price down with only a few options. Power/Heated seats, Sport Chrono, Turbo Wheels. However, if I could have known how much I would enjoy owning my P-Car, I would have "bit the bullet" even further, and ordered a lot more of the options I would have liked: full leather, sport exhaust, Bose., etc. But there is no way to know until you own one.
I have not had a single complaint or problem with my car. After 10,000 miles, the only maintenance has been two oil changes ($189 yearly), and I had the tires re-balanced and rotated ($60).
It's hard to believe it has been 2.5 years already, but to paraphrase an old saying, time really flies when you're the proud owner of a Porsche.
P.S. I'm (mildly) thinking about ordering a 2011 and put on all the stuff I didn't get the first time, before time flies by so fast that I'm too old.

Last edited by Vegasguy; 02-26-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
After 10,000 miles, the only maintenance has been two oil changes ($189 yearly), and I had the tires re-balanced and rotated ($60).
Good to hear you've enjoyed your present to yourself.

Curious, Porsche service department didn't recommend a brake flush at your second service?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
vegasguy KUDOS! What the hell get the 11. Its only money right?! you cant take it w/ you. Enjoy and drive it like you stole it!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing. Nice story. I too purchased my first Porsche when in my 60's, and am on my 3rd in 3 years. I've loved each of them immensely. Should have kept the first cab in hindsight, but had to try a Targa. Liked it a lot too, but found I liked cabs better in this climate. Luckily I found good used cars each time, so got beat up less on depreciation than if I had purchased new.
Mine is a daily driver, and I love it every time I get in it. Like you, I figured you only live once.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks for sharing. Nice story. I too purchased my first Porsche when in my 60's, and am on my 3rd in 3 years. I've loved each of them immensely. Should have kept the first cab in hindsight, but had to try a Targa. Liked it a lot too, but found I liked cabs better in this climate. Luckily I found good used cars each time, so got beat up less on depreciation than if I had purchased new.
Mine is a daily driver, and I love it every time I get in it. Like you, I figured you only live once.

Ken

I hear the brain starts goin after 55....is it true

Jim

Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Ken

I hear the brain starts goin after 55....is it true

Jim
Keep that up, and I'll give you negative reps so you'll never catch up with Stacy. And BTW, I didn't take 2 months to put AWE cats on my car when I got them. Hurry up or Ed will regret selling them to you.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Keep that up, and I'll give you negative reps so you'll never catch up with Stacy. And BTW, I didn't take 2 months to put AWE cats on my car when I got them. Hurry up or Ed will regret selling them to you.

ahhhhh buddy if u saw the amount of white SH_T we have , u wouldnt be installin anything! Ask Stacy 2 send u the pic i sent him

Old 02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Good to hear you've enjoyed your present to yourself.

Curious, Porsche service department didn't recommend a brake flush at your second service?
I checked my maintenance records. The records for the two-year maintenance, August 2009, indicate that I declined the "brake fluid flush." I don't remember this, and I would certainly like to keep my P-Car well-maintained. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look in to what actually happened, and take care of it. On the whole, I've been happy with the dealer here in Las Vegas.

Last edited by Vegasguy; 02-26-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
2.5 years? drive more!.. ive hit about 15k in 9 months..... im guessing you daily drive another car?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 PM
ggregory is infamous around these parts
Great post. Period.

Sometime's you've got to do what you've got to do.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The P-Car is my first, and at the time I ordered it, it seemed like a lot of money (I suppose 100K is a lot of money), and I was trying to keep the price down with only a few options. Power/Heated seats, Sport Chrono, Turbo Wheels. However, if I could have known how much I would enjoy owning my P-Car, I would have "bit the bullet" even further, and ordered a lot more of the options I would have liked: full leather, sport exhaust, Bose., etc. But there is no way to know until you own one.
I enjoyed reading your entire post but particularly liked this portion. I can relate to reflecting on the car at 10K miles . As you replay the memories of the past 2.5 years with the car it's like taking self inventory with the ownership experience.

I even think that to some degree tip toeing into the first Porsche with select options and evaluating the service and reliability makes it even that much better. It savors the moment , gives you things to look forward to , and bring you that much closer to being in touch with and appreciating what you have -- a great car !!!

I hope the future miles bring more happiness to you .

Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Great post. If you can swing a new one - I'd recommend it. The extra oomph is neat and you now know what you will want on your order. Drive it more.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
great post. if I were you, I'd hold off on ordering a 2011 and wait for the all-new model that should debut in 2012 or 2013. that should be worth the wait.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Great post. Glad you love your car. Have you thought about purchasing some of the options for your current car...can they install them after the fact? This way you can keep her, save some money, and you won't lose the bond you've built with the purchasing experience and the past two years of ownership.

I've had my '08 C2S for almost 2 years....come April. I'm a bit ashamed, but it's only got 3k miles on it. I must drive a van for work, so the Porsche only gets driven once every week or two.

I thought 100k was alot for a car, still do....but I'm glad every day that I have it. I didn't special order it, saw it on the lot and fell in love. Had to have it for it's unique color combo and options list. Cobalt Blue and Sea Blue full leather, etc. I plan on keeping the car forever and will always remember what I went through to get her.

J

Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
I turned 10,000 miles on my '08 C2S today, after exactly 2.5 years..... and I am still as enchanted with my car as I was on the first day.
I've always wanted a nimble sports car and got myself a Porsche last year mainly due to the good deals on the new left overs, not that I could not afford one at MSRP but would have just felt too guilty of splurging. Such remarks validate my decision sooo much. Thank you. I feel the same way although I only have 3.5K miles on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.