997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Another need help with DME scan thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Another need help with DME scan thread

I am looking at an 06 CPO cab with 32k miles DME scan as follows:

# of ignitions, range 1 1338 1231.8h
'' '' '' '' '' range 2 243 1231.8h
'' '' '' '' '' range 3 52 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 4 10 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 5 2 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 6 -- -------

Current operating hrs: 1284.200

It's a 2 owner car, second owner purchased it from the dealer who is currently selling the car and had it serviced there as well. Any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
ANYTHING in range 4 thru 6 would scare me so in this case, I would pass. A couple of threads on DME scans here on 6speed and I think the agreement from most is the same.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I am new to the thread and am very unfamiliar with the DME scan. Can you give me the quick and dirty on how to read these numbers. I am currently looking for a 07 tt.

thanks in advance

Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jnx
I am looking at an 06 CPO cab with 32k miles DME scan as follows:

# of ignitions, range 1 1338 1231.8h
'' '' '' '' '' range 2 243 1231.8h
'' '' '' '' '' range 3 52 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 4 10 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 5 2 1193.2h
'' '' '' '' '' range 6 -- -------

Current operating hrs: 1284.200

It's a 2 owner car, second owner purchased it from the dealer who is currently selling the car and had it serviced there as well. Any opinions are welcome. Thank you.
This car has had one badly-missed downshift and fairly recently by the look of the data. Most cars seem to average around 30mph over a lifetime. This example has done 32000 miles in 1284 hours so it has averaged 24.9 mph - perfectly believable. Given the same average, the gearchange was missed at about 29700 miles.

The 6 overrev ranges are:
Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

The numbers recorded in the overrev data are numbers of ignitions that took place whilst the engine was in that rev range. A 6 cylinder motor fires 3 cylinders per revolution so the engine spent 2/3rds of one revolution in Range 5 (or about 0.005 of a second) 3 1/3rd revolutions in Range 4 (or about 0.025 of a second) and 17 1/3rd revolutions in range 3 (about 0.14 of a second).

So whilst the engine was over-revved quite hard, it was for such a short amount of time that it probably won't have hurt the motor at all.

Last edited by Ian_UK1; 03-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
This car has had one badly-missed downshift and fairly recently by the look of the data. Most cars seem to average around 30mph over a lifetime. This example has done 32000 miles in 1284 hours so it has averaged 24.9 mph - perfectly believable. Given the same average, the gearchange was missed at about 29700 miles.

The 6 overrev ranges are:
Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

The numbers recorded in the overrev data are numbers of ignitions that took place whilst the engine was in that rev range. A 6 cylinder motor fires 3 cylinders per revolution so the engine spent 2/3rds of one revolution in Range 5 (or about 0.005 of a second) 3 1/3rd revolutions in Range 4 (or about 0.025 of a second) and 17 1/3rd revolutions in range 3 (about 0.14 of a second).

So whilst the engine was over-revved quite hard, it was for such a short amount of time that it probably won't have hurt the motor at all.
exactly what i needed to learn .. how to read a DME ! thx a ton !

Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Thanks Ian_UK1, i appreciate your help

Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
but the overrevs happened very recently, if god forbids this car gets ims/rms problems, correct me if i'm wrong, the dealer can void the cpo because of the range 5 scan.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cb333
but the overrevs happened very recently, if god forbids this car gets ims/rms problems, correct me if i'm wrong, the dealer can void the cpo because of the range 5 scan.
Not sure it would be iron clad or not, but if you are really interested in the car, you might try to get the dealer to sign a letter (on their Porsche letterhead of course ) stating the noted over-revs occurred (to this point) prior to vehicle being CPOd. This would imply they will stand behind it if any problems occurred since they knew of the over-revs and disclosed it as essentially not material to the over-all mechanical well being of the car.

However, in the event something did happen, you should expect a major league fight regarding the vehicle not being abused and that's if w/in the CPO window. If you're outside of the CPO window, I think you'd pretty much be limited to only wiping your keister w/ that letter...

Thus why the common recommendation is to steer clear of vehicles w/ Range 4 and above over-revs.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
with so many clean DME scans out there because there are so many P-Cars used out there, I would pass.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM
cb333 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Not sure it would be iron clad or not, but if you are really interested in the car, you might try to get the dealer to sign a letter (on their Porsche letterhead of course ) stating the noted over-revs occurred (to this point) prior to vehicle being CPOd. This would imply they will stand behind it if any problems occurred since they knew of the over-revs and disclosed it as essentially not material to the over-all mechanical well being of the car.

However, in the event something did happen, you should expect a major league fight regarding the vehicle not being abused and that's if w/in the CPO window. If you're outside of the CPO window, I think you'd pretty much be limited to only wiping your keister w/ that letter...

Thus why the common recommendation is to steer clear of vehicles w/ Range 4 and above over-revs.

Good luck in your search!
the problem here is, the 2nd owner bought the car from dealer as cpo and the overrevs happened AFTERWARDS. so if OP is really interested in this car, bring it to the dealer and ask them about this situation. what is the asking price anyway?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skizot
with so many clean DME scans out there because there are so many P-Cars used out there, I would pass.
Unfortunately you can't rely absolutely on these DME readouts. As with 99% of all current cars, anyone with a suitable chip reader/writer can alter the recorded mileage/total running hours and zero out the overrev counters in less than 20 minutes - and the results will be completely undetectable.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
Unfortunately you can't rely absolutely on these DME readouts. As with 99% of all current cars, anyone with a suitable chip reader/writer can alter the recorded mileage/total running hours and zero out the overrev counters in less than 20 minutes - and the results will be completely undetectable.

no crap.....seriously , I had no clue of this! Heh, u learn somthin new every day

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
The more I find out about this, the more I am starting to not want one and turn my efforts towards another brand. I am going to pass on this one for sure. Thanks for all of the help, especially Ian. I appreciate it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
yeah, it makes sense to focus on another brand. those never get overrevved.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
jnx
Not so much that, remember, IMS, RMS etc,etc,etc, I am not new to the brand, just new to buying used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another need help with DME scan thread