997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is a clear bra a must?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Any recommended installers in the San Diego area?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Nope. Patina rules.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
obsessed (or others) -

"full rear fender flares (I had factory patches removed and filmed from back of doors into wheel well, from rocker panel up to just above top of wheel well)"

I've been thinking about doing this as I find the factory rear fender patches to be very ugly, the lines are really noticeable and break up the great curve of the fender.

Can most shops do this ? It must be a custom cut piece. I'm trying to figure out where to put the line where it will be most invisible.

Also, I noticed today that the clear bra on the lower front bumper (bottom area with the aero scoop stuff) has a bunch of gaps and ugly cuts. I guess to make it go around all those curves the installer has to cut out lots of pieces and fold it over and didn't make it seamless. Is this normal or did I get a really ****ty install?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
obsessed (or others) -

"full rear fender flares (I had factory patches removed and filmed from back of doors into wheel well, from rocker panel up to just above top of wheel well)"

I've been thinking about doing this as I find the factory rear fender patches to be very ugly, the lines are really noticeable and break up the great curve of the fender.

Can most shops do this ? It must be a custom cut piece. I'm trying to figure out where to put the line where it will be most invisible.

Also, I noticed today that the clear bra on the lower front bumper (bottom area with the aero scoop stuff) has a bunch of gaps and ugly cuts. I guess to make it go around all those curves the installer has to cut out lots of pieces and fold it over and didn't make it seamless. Is this normal or did I get a really ****ty install?
Likely a bad installation. Does it look something like this?:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hlight=premier

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Dear lord, I hope they didn't cut the paint like that.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gleek48
I have a Carrara White 911 and was wondering if any particular brand of clear film works best for a white vehicle. WHat do you guys think?
I have ventura sheild on my white 08c2s and it looks great. I have to get up close (4'-6') to see the line.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by borderless
Just curious.. got my silver C4S last week.. put 800 miles on it this week. Had it detailed at work. Drove home and the front bumper is covered with dead bugs.

In the "top 5 mods under $1000" I have seen the clear bra mentioned a few times.

Other than the obvious (preventing chips from rocks, etc) does the bra reduce the bug road-kill? What other benefits?

Also.. any recommendations on the kind to get. These guys are local: http://www.autosupershield.com/ and seem pretty reputable. They want $370 for the clear one-piece film and another $100 to install.

Any suggestions?
I bought my car on 12/22 and I have put a number of new chips in just 1,500 miles and three months, so I think it's a must. I'm getting VentureShield put on my car next Wednesday. I did a lot of research and almost went to Premier (great rep, but too expensive). The products are pretty similar, but BR Racing uses VentureShield on the cars that come into their shop and they see Ferrari, Lambo and they even service a Bugatti Veyron there, so I trust their work. They personally oversee the work and the VentureShield product is guaranteed. I wanted a custom front bumper (not the piece they cut out using software), so they tuck it in so you don't have edges. I'm also getting a full hood and full bumpers so I don't have the line. In addition, they are doing door handles/cups, rocker panels, mirrors and headlights & fogs. I believe they do a few other areas near the back of the car that are known chip spots for a 911. I got a great price, which was considerably less than Premier.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
I had clear bra on my red GT3 and my silver GT3. I never liked the line or the dull finish.
It sucks when detailing. I started looking at it like I ruined the shiny finish for a dull look and everyone pointed it out, to protect the shiny finish I never see.

Now my car is white and I dont think I am going to do it.
I have 2000 miles and no dings or anything and it looks great. You can always have the bumper resprayed for less than the cost of a film job. If the car was black or midnite blue then up I get it done. But for Carrera white, I just dont know. Really we dont have long term data on this since its basically 5 years or so since this started. What happens when you pull off the wrap and it pulls paint off too. I live in 110 + degree summer heat and no telling what kind of bonding is going on with the plastic and the paint for 3-4 years.

Really it comes down to protecting a finish you will never see if filmed.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
It's a big decision. I have a good friend that does paint and bodywork for a living and has for 30 years. He won't clear bra his car at all because he said it hides the paint. However, he also doesn't believe in EVER repainting a car at all unless you have an accident. He told me just the other day that manufacturer's cure the paint at 800 degrees and that the highest he can use is 180 degrees or of course your car will burn. Also, it's not the original Porsche paint. They use a color match machine that tells them using your color codes how much of which things to put in the mix, but the paint isn't the same brand. If you repaint a front bumper, he said it will chip much easier the next time and if you have certain colors, regardless of what a paint shop tells you, it will not match (especially metallics). In the end of course, the choice is which thing you can put up with more, paint chips or a shine that is only 99% out of 100. If you do entire body pieces then the difference in shine will be less apparent b/c the natural car seam will separate the clear bra piece from the rest of the car, but there seem to be people that feel strongly one way or the other on this forum. Many have clear bra and many won't do it. If you're really worried about the finish, I would just do the front bumper as it gets 95% of the chips.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcs
Any recommended installers in the San Diego area?
We have a Southern California facility just north of you in Orange County.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Michael, Porsche uses PPG paints and you can buy the same stuff.
in the Porsche world in resale you can get away with Resprays to the bumpers.
I have been in the Porsche world now for 10 years and I write occasionally articles for the Porsche Marketing letter, and I know you can get bumper resprays with out scaring the next buyer ESPECIALLY if you have all the proper maintenance papers. I am not saying your friend is wrong but I am telling you what my experience has been with 4 911's and my friends in the Porsche world and in the Porsche sales world.
its when you go further that problems arise.
Again if I had a dark car film goes on. With this beautiful Carrera white, I am still thinking.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Michael, Porsche uses PPG paints and you can buy the same stuff.
in the Porsche world in resale you can get away with Resprays to the bumpers.
I have been in the Porsche world now for 10 years and I write occasionally articles for the Porsche Marketing letter, and I know you can get bumper resprays with out scaring the next buyer ESPECIALLY if you have all the proper maintenance papers. I am not saying your friend is wrong but I am telling you what my experience has been with 4 911's and my friends in the Porsche world and in the Porsche sales world.
its when you go further that problems arise.
Again if I had a dark car film goes on. With this beautiful Carrera white, I am still thinking.
I asked the body shops about getting the paint and they didn't even offer that as an option. Ok, so you can order the paint and get a bodyshop to do it and it's ok on resale you wrote. Regardless of those two points, it's $600-$1,000 (I have four quotes) to get it resprayed only to have it come off even easier after you've spent that money. Also, when do you decide to respray it? Just before you sell it so you get good resale? No. Or, do you spend that money to respray it, drive down the highway going home and realize when you get there, you already have brand new paint chips. That would really suck in my opinion. I wish I would have taken the car directly from the dealer to get the clear bra. There is no doubt that next time, I am having it done before I even drive it to keep it perfect.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-20-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:23 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EAMGC4S
I found that the bra was a hassle for detailing and overall polish/shine of the car.
Originally Posted by tejoe
+1
one of the trade offs is that even the expensive 'polishes' are really just "cleaners" that at best might leave a shiny 1 micron coating. Also remember that the films are less abrasion and scratch resistant than the harder factory paint.
sorry if off topic.

about to do a full detail myself on 07 c2s i just purchased that came with the clear bra already installed..

clear bra still looks to be in great shape.. no rip, punctures, or yellowing.

do i just detail the 'clear bra-ed' parts like i would detail the rest of the car?

i will be using klasse all-in-one and pinnacle sovereign..

thx in adv

Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
g911cab is infamous around these parts
A must?? Maybe. If you care about having it look farm fresh for years to come, go ahead. I find it really isn't necessary for the type of driving I do. My other car is 7 years old and has hardly and chips.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
In CT, we have those crappy oiled roads where they dump crushed stone, give it a quick roll, and leave it to cars to pack it down. I'm in a panic driving my car now, mine is scheduled for film on Thursday of this week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a clear bra a must?