997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is a clear bra a must?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Michael you respray it when you want. Respraying for resale is kind of a red flag.
With modern spray booths you can get the paint to harden the correct way, and you can get the correct materials.
Really a bumper respray is no big deal-getting the right person to do it is important.
And really I am talking about cars that are 5 years or older. Respraying a 2 year old car would be a red flag.
its no biggie in the resale world. If you dont like the repray idea get film.
Regardless its an accepted practice even in the ferrari world. But like I said you would expect a respray on a 996 993 but suspect a bumper respray on say an 08 997-just common sense.
My 09 is white has 2000 miles and is pristine. Its up to the owner.

Last edited by OldGuy; 03-20-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
A front bumper respray definitely won't affect resale value, and I've never had paint work done by quality shops that wasn't at least as good as OEM and lasted just fine. I don't bother with a clear bra because I don't like how they look, plus I believe cars are meant to be driven and will get little dings.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Youre right Teflon, Its not like Porsche paint jobs are the high water mark of the industry.
Sometimes they come from the factory very ordinary. And when you find a shop that is passionate about Porsches the respray is usually better than the OEM like you say.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Youre right Teflon, Its not like Porsche paint jobs are the high water mark of the industry.
Sometimes they come from the factory very ordinary. And when you find a shop that is passionate about Porsches the respray is usually better than the OEM like you say.
I give up and I'm off this thread, you must be right because you have owned Porsches and you write a newsletter. You must know more about everything that has to do with a Porsche than people that do it for a living. I spoke to someone who does this for a living for 30 years (and is a friend, so he's honest) and 3 other body shops who said the same thing essentially, but you must be right. To the original poster, go talk to a few paint shops and ask them about respraying and form your own opinion.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
911rookie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I bought my car on 12/22 and I have put a number of new chips in just 1,500 miles and three months, so I think it's a must. I'm getting VentureShield put on my car next Wednesday. I did a lot of research and almost went to Premier (great rep, but too expensive). The products are pretty similar, but BR Racing uses VentureShield on the cars that come into their shop and they see Ferrari, Lambo and they even service a Bugatti Veyron there, so I trust their work. They personally oversee the work and the VentureShield product is guaranteed. I wanted a custom front bumper (not the piece they cut out using software), so they tuck it in so you don't have edges. I'm also getting a full hood and full bumpers so I don't have the line. In addition, they are doing door handles/cups, rocker panels, mirrors and headlights & fogs. I believe they do a few other areas near the back of the car that are known chip spots for a 911. I got a great price, which was considerably less than Premier.
Michael,

I just purchased an 07 C2 CPO, meteor grey (drove it home yesterday from the dealer!). While I just want to take it out and drive the hell out of it, I'm getting freaked out with the potential paint dings... So I read this thread, and, like you, called Premier for a quote (everybody seem to be very impressed with them on this forum). But I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of spending another grand... Then I came upon your message.

Where are you getting the VentureShield installed? When you say considerably cheaper than Primier, how much cheaper was it? Do you know if they use razors to cut the edges of the film?

I wish money wasn't an object but unfortunately, it is for me. I don't need world-class quality or anything like that. Just something that works and won't cause damage to my paint...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 AM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911rookie
Michael,

Where are you getting the VentureShield installed? When you say considerably cheaper than Primier, how much cheaper was it? Do you know if they use razors to cut the edges of the film?

I wish money wasn't an object but unfortunately, it is for me. I don't need world-class quality or anything like that. Just something that works and won't cause damage to my paint...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
rookie,

I just have my 997.2 done by ultimateshield.com at Orange. I checked both Premier and Ultimate out before I made my decision. Ultimate's price is much reasonable, and I believe their install quality is as good as Premier (just my opinion). I have them done the bumper, fender, full hood, lights and mirror. The fenders and full hood are tuck in, so there is no edge. Check out their web site. The owner Sean is a very nice and fun to dealt with.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
jus587 is infamous around these parts
I have clear bra for front bumper, bonnet and fender. It cam with the car when I bought it second hand. Starts to peel off very very slightly but still very hard to notice if they are on. Seems to be a good addition to any car.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I give up and I'm off this thread, you must be right because you have owned Porsches and you write a newsletter. You must know more about everything that has to do with a Porsche than people that do it for a living. I spoke to someone who does this for a living for 30 years (and is a friend, so he's honest) and 3 other body shops who said the same thing essentially, but you must be right. To the original poster, go talk to a few paint shops and ask them about respraying and form your own opinion.
Not the best response I have ever seen. Paint guys arent the expert in Porsche Resale, the buyers and the sellers are. Talk to Richard Sloan at SloanCars.com, talk to Merry (or Pippin) at Preimercars.com, talk to the owner of RPMSportscars.com, Ray Joseph . Talk to the owner of the Porsche Marketing Letter Thom Kuby. They are the ones who know, not some paint jobber who paints a hundai one day and a Toyota the next and has more sand in his ears than the Mojave Desert. Are these jobbers involved in the sale or resale? I think not. They probably forget the car once it leaves the shop (FULL restoration shops would know the value but not somebody doing a respray on a 06 Carrera). Yea talking to paint guys for resale or estimates for the cars worth isn't the best idea. Thats why your'e confused. You also miss the whole point of the topic.
Film isnt the only option. There are others, like a bumper respray. Heck you can even decide to go for an aero package and just CHANGE the front and rear bumpers and side skirts.
You did get one thing right-I must be right. That was a good point on your part.

Last edited by OldGuy; 03-21-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Ventureshield saved my car once already! (same would apply to any film)
I was driving the other day and a big cardboard box was blown by the wind in front of me and smashed into my bumper. There is a nice scuff in front of the wheel well on the film, but I had it looked at and it saved the paint underneath! A respray may be cool on an older car, but my car is only 11 months, and I am glad that I spent a grand on the full front treatment.

I would have it installed again, given the choice!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
I had 3M starshield on my Lotus, and one day I noticed a 7" slash on the rocker, I must have hit a stick or something at speed. Paint was perfect underneath. It's like a car condom, a must have!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by echere88
rookie,

I just have my 997.2 done by ultimateshield.com at Orange. I checked both Premier and Ultimate out before I made my decision. Ultimate's price is much reasonable, and I believe their install quality is as good as Premier (just my opinion). I have them done the bumper, fender, full hood, lights and mirror. The fenders and full hood are tuck in, so there is no edge. Check out their web site. The owner Sean is a very nice and fun to dealt with.

Thank you,

I will check a quote with ultimateshield. I cannot seem to reply to your private message just yet. I guess I'm a "rookie" in more ways than one. Lol.

I also want to see if anyone in the Southern California area had VentureShield installed and would like to hear their opinion on the work that was done... It seems like the debate is not about the product, but about the expertise in installation, and I'd like to take my car to someone who knows what he's doing.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
911rookie, i'm sending over a PM I just sent to another forum member about my Ventureshield installer and experience.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by v35
911rookie, i'm sending over a PM I just sent to another forum member about my Ventureshield installer and experience.
Thank you very much. Now that's some useful information. If it's good enough for your uncle's Lambo, it's gotta be good enough for my C2.

I want to ask you a few more questions but this thing won't let me PM due to this rookie hazing period. Namely, who should I tell him referred me?

Hope I don't get any paint chips on my drive to Alhambra!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911rookie
Thank you very much. Now that's some useful information. If it's good enough for your uncle's Lambo, it's gotta be good enough for my C2.

I want to ask you a few more questions but this thing won't let me PM due to this rookie hazing period. Namely, who should I tell him referred me?

Hope I don't get any paint chips on my drive to Alhambra!
Don't worry about it, I sent you a PM.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Not the best response I have ever seen. Paint guys arent the expert in Porsche Resale, the buyers and the sellers are. Talk to Richard Sloan at SloanCars.com, talk to Merry (or Pippin) at Preimercars.com, talk to the owner of RPMSportscars.com, Ray Joseph . Talk to the owner of the Porsche Marketing Letter Thom Kuby. They are the ones who know, not some paint jobber who paints a hundai one day and a Toyota the next and has more sand in his ears than the Mojave Desert. Are these jobbers involved in the sale or resale? I think not. They probably forget the car once it leaves the shop (FULL restoration shops would know the value but not somebody doing a respray on a 06 Carrera). Yea talking to paint guys for resale or estimates for the cars worth isn't the best idea. Thats why your'e confused. You also miss the whole point of the topic.
Film isnt the only option. There are others, like a bumper respray. Heck you can even decide to go for an aero package and just CHANGE the front and rear bumpers and side skirts.
You did get one thing right-I must be right. That was a good point on your part.
You should learn to spell if you're going to go elitist and write in a condescending way about body shop people you don't even know. FYI, the guy I know only does European cars and when I was in his shop to talk to him, it was full of BMWs, Benz and a few Jags. I'm sure one could find someone willing to do just about anything if you pay enough money. If the quotes I received were $700-$1,000 for what you deem as substandard work, then I'm sure your elitist buddies would charge 1.5-2X. Good luck with that..******.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a clear bra a must?