997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

opinion needed on a tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
DAMN...knew that is why I didn't like it anymore.........Negative rep point for pointing it out though John.........BUT True!

Stacy

PS JKing on the neg. Rep
Well a cab is a different animal than a coupe, as you noted with my matte graphics. I probably wouldn't tint a cab. However, I wouldn't buy a cab either- I can't stand the sun in my eyes, I am like a vampire. I've only open my "sun"roof at night, in fact.

Regardless, I bet I am older than you, brother! But you're cooler, and prettier. But far less SC'd than I am. Ouch, I know that hurt!
CATTMAN

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I really don't like tint at all but in the event that you must have it .. there is one car that impressed me the most. see post number 2 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-no-tint.html
thats a clean car with a clean tint..

i believe i had 30 or 35% on my previous car, and it was great!
i know it looks darker in the pic..

..great protection from the sun (incl uv), provided some privacy.. and it looked cool

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
Ditto. As I get older, the appeal of tint has really dropped. Moreover, tint on a cab seems a bit senseless.
+1. No tint

Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by anthony
Nice cab, great color combo. Pacific Porsche!

The first thing that popped into my head after I read your thoughts and saw your car is to maybe go with a light Huper Optik tint. Here's a good thread to give you an idea of what their 40% looks like on a 997, see what you think: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ver-1-5-a.html
wow. thats gorgeous !

if i had a coupe, i would not even start this thread..

but with the cab, i havent decided yet if it looks better with or with out the tint..

i dont want to change the beautiful lines the Pcar has when the top is down..

does anyone have a pic (or a link) of a cab (with top down and front windows up) with a tint ?

thx in adv

Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
I vote for no tint on a Carrera.

I assume the tint was for aesthetics -- if so, one of the best things to do (for the money) IMO are springs and spacers for appearance.
on my previous car, i had kw V2 coilovers.. but with the Porsche PASM, i was gonna leave this car alone..

does the shorter springs affect the handling or the ride negatively?

what about the spacers? is for looks only? ..or can u feel the difference in ride quality? better or worse?

thx in adv !

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
I like it ....I was thinking of doin the side and back. I then heard that stacy ( justatoy) was gonna do the front back and sides. Not sue about that. Im thinkin the sides and back r enough
Originally Posted by justatoy
WHAT THE........LOL...Jim you crack me up with these senseless comments!
I have no idea where you got that bit of BS,LOL!

A long time ago...waaaayyyyyy back in my YOUNG days I had done all that,only IT wasn't a Porsche,LOL!
IMO tint is "played".....
Also Porsche....especially Cabs.....just do not suit tint IMO!

Stacy
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
cmon now!!!!!!!!!!! U told me last week u wanted to do the entire car!
fess up!

front windshield tint is very gangsta..

plus, if not done right and u have sensitive eyes, u can get dizzy while driving

pass.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Based on other threads here and on Rennlist ( http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...archid=5457951)
the FIRST thing you need to look at is the Ca. law on tints. Then any decent tinter can show you the appropriate colors.
Originally Posted by anthony
Any % is illegal on front side windows and windshield. But if you go light enough, *hopefully* you will be okay. I can tell you from my experience that 30% will get you pulled over in a 997. If you need tint, go with lighter than that and hope for the best... my $0.02.
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
My car came with tint and I had to take the two sides off for a fix a ticket. However, now that I have it off, I like it. On my black cab, it provided 3 different shades of black, which looked sloppy. Plus, I love my interior and I want to show it off.
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
my cab is tinted, I say you should tint it, youll want your privacy... if you want somthing mild I think 35% will be great for you, its not dark, but still gives you privacy, and keeps the sun/heat out... another thing is 35% tint IMO isnt dark enough to get the cops looking at you the wrong way ...
i studied the tint law in calif .. and am acutely aware of the discrepancy the police show regarding it.

most cops in southern cal are pretty lenient re: tint, IMO

in my previous car with the tint, i've never gotten a ticket for the tint or not having front license plate. (knock on wood)

even when i got pulled over doing well over 140 (in a open hwy), the CHP never even asked about the tint.. (all he said was "nice car" and wrote me up for only 99mph.. coolest young officer i've met)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Based on other threads here and on Rennlist ( http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...archid=5457951)
the FIRST thing you need to look at is the Ca. law on tints. Then any decent tinter can show you the appropriate colors.
have u seen the sort-of-mirror-like tint on a silver Pcab?

cheezy? just checking all my options..

Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
my cab is tinted, I say you should tint it, youll want your privacy... if you want somthing mild I think 35% will be great for you, its not dark, but still gives you privacy, and keeps the sun/heat out... another thing is 35% tint IMO isnt dark enough to get the cops looking at you the wrong way ...
ur white looks great with the dark tint, IMO

btw, what color is ur top?

my top is the cocoa.. which is the other reason for my hesitation re: tint..

with the black top, it might be an easier decision..

do u have a pic with the top down and windows up? thx in adv

Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
Seems to be an age thing, too. Younger owners tend to tint. Older think it's not classy. Not to be ageist, but that does seem to be the trend.
CATTMAN
uhoh... since i am unsure about the tint, i guess i am going from young to old, right infront of everyone's eyes..

seriously, i think its relative to each car.. but most cars look better with the right tint.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by JmanE55
+1. No tint
i see ur Pcar is not tinted but ur other cars (in ur sig) are..

is ur 911 a cab?

any reason u say 'no tint' on the Pcar?

thx in adv

Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
They should create a Photogray type tint. For those that don't know, they have stuff for eyeglasses that gets dark in the sunlight during the day and goes clear at night (or indoors).

Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 PM
150shot is infamous around these parts
If anything get the lightest tint avail, usually also referred to as a "1" or just "light" LOL.

It will just be a tad darker and provide a grayish look that will actually bring out the color of the car a bit.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
They should create a Photogray type tint. For those that don't know, they have stuff for eyeglasses that gets dark in the sunlight during the day and goes clear at night (or indoors).
yeah, i always wondered why no one ever did a transition tint like the eye-glasses.. prob the cost.

but it would def be cool.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
btw, i decided on NOT tinting the cab

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: opinion needed on a tint