997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

991 - new spy video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
991 - new spy video

enjoy !

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1315786830?bctid=71140484001

Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Ha - most of us would have the cars barricaded in the garage for weather like that.

Gotta wonder what made them do the close formation turn around - too much snow or too many cameras?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Nice! With the exception of whatever is going on under that well disguised rear I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that on the outside this is probably the least amount of change between a series they have ever done. The sheetmetal in the front and roof looks virtually identical to my eye although they've probably done some minor rescupting that I can't pick up from the video. Of course I'll probably change my mind once that "mask" comes off that rear end. I'm kind of hoping they go back to fixed "whale tail" like the classic cars. That would be cool!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Looks like an 993TT on steroids.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
OK, I watched the video a few more times and have some more thoughts for whatever they are worth:

1. Notice the side markers are orange. Don't they use clear markers in Europe? That's kind of interesting.

2. At about 4:18 in the video we see the headlights turn off and they do that immediately like they are LED's. It looks like they moved the daytime running lamps back into the main headlights instead of just in the turn signal unit like the 997.2

3. Now . . . I've saved what I feel could be my best observation for last and I'm going to warn you that it may raise some eyebrows. Remember above when I said there doesn't appear to be that much of a difference between this new car and the current model? Perhaps we are looking at the 997.3 and not the 998 or 991. This would make sense in such depressed economic times that Porsche would hold off a little more on introducing a complete new series when they can s-t-r-e-t-c-h the 997 series for a couple more years. Thoughts anyone?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Where ever they are, the new Porsche is always around there (Sweden)?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
997.3?

Door mounted side mirrors...and maybe more curve on the fenders?

There's supposed to be some bumper height regs that make the 991 front higher, so you may be onto something - doesn't look so different up front to me either - that or it is very subtle.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
... I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that on the outside this is probably the least amount of change between a series they have ever done. ...
Really? Do you consider a 100mm wheelbase increase a trivial change?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 AM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
It really looks like a 997.3

Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Really? Do you consider a 100mm wheelbase increase a trivial change?
Has Porsche come out and said this to be fact? Or is this just what the Journos like to tout?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
oebb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Where ever they are, the new Porsche is always around there (Sweden)?
Very far up north in Sweden. A lot of the major car manufacturers do their cold climate testing there. Very fun place if you want to spot mules of new models

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
adias,

100 millimeters = 3.93700787 inches. For those of us "dummies" who don't have a PhD in vehicle dynamics like you, could you explain to us why this makes such a dramatic difference and why it's so undesirable? Oh, and while you're at it could you also please cite a credible source or two that Porsche does indeed plan to lengthen the next gen 911 wheelbase by that amount? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
adias,

100 millimeters = 3.93700787 inches. For those of us "dummies" who don't have a PhD in vehicle dynamics like you, could you explain to us why this makes such a dramatic difference and why it's so undesirable? Oh, and while you're at it could you also please cite a credible source or two that Porsche does indeed plan to lengthen the next gen 911 wheelbase by that amount? Thanks!

There's pros and cons depending on who you are - potentially more backseat room and smoother ride, but less aggressive handling on twisty tracks. More of an evolution away from the pure 911 concept of a compact sporty two-seater with gratuitous rear seats.

There are other deceptions in the camo that I think will make the new car look more different that is obvious - look at these more clear stills http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/18/s...1-convertible/

You can see some sort of cover on the headlamps that, with it off, might make them quite a bit taller by an inch at least and the front fenders do seem to rise up. I'm not so crazy about that aspect of it, but maybe the hidden headlamps exaggerate it and it will look more "911 classic raked front" when fully exposed.

Wider track, longer wheelbase - could be good or bad, but my fear knee-jerk says don't try to make the 911 become an M3 - nicer to have it be a 911 and let that chopped up Panamara do the M3 duties.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Porsche designers are just plain lazy

I do love the note on that car, wish mine had it (perhaps soon it will)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 - new spy video