997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Gundo hack using 1" pipe v.s 2" pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Dave in Oregon is infamous around these parts
Gundo hack using 1" pipe v.s 2" pipe

I have the mufflers off the car and am getting ready to do the "Gundo hack". The car is LOUD without the mufflers and this got me to thinking that perhaps a 1" pipe bypass would be better than using the 2" pipe. I am interested primarily in TONE and not in LOUDNESS. If I decide I want more sound, I can always increase to a 2" pipe but if I don't like the loudness of the 2" pipe it will not be easy to reduce to a 1" pipe. I have heard sound clips here using the 2" pipe and they do sound a bit loud so I am leaning towards using 1" pipe. Anyone done this hack using the 1" pipe or heard one having this mod ?

Thanks for your responses.........

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I have no idea how it will sound but definetly interested to find out.Goodluck !

Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I have no idea what it will sound like either, but why not split the difference, go with 1.5" and if you don't like it buy new mufflers.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
I did the 2" and my girlfriend (who is very noise sensitive) didn't even notie the change from inside the car. If you aren't on the throttle hard it isn't too different from stock.

On the throttle above 3k rpm it's really sexy and only marginally louder than my buddies 993 with motorsports sound package.

I say 2". Don't go any smaller than 1.5". Remember that volume (of flow not sound) increases exponentially as diameter goes up. 1" might be a waste of time/money.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Could you possibly post a picture of the modded muffler before you do the re-install? I have talked to a couple of muffler shops and am having a hard time describing the "Gundo Hack". I figure a good picture would eliminate any confusion. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I agree with a minimum of 1.5". Nothing smaller than the diameter of the two pipes you are connecting.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
From another post:

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Gundo hack

Thanks so much for your replies. Leaning now more towards 1.5" based on input thusfar. This is my first try on muffler alteration and I would like to get it right. I'm interested in the true PSE sound tone rather than a LOUD wail (that gets far too much attention). I read that Porsche uses a 1" bypass pipe in their factory PSE system, albeit it has different mufflers.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
can someone explain to me what the gundo hack is?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Gundo hack

Click on the SEARCH button above, type in "Gundo hack" and then scroll down to "PSE is a WASTE of money". Pictures and full description is there.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
yea i searched but since nothing said gundo hack that made sense or was a thread started by gundo (at least i didnt see one) i gave up and posted. thanks for the thread to look for.

EDIT: clearly i fail and finding the post by Gundo as it was like number 3 on the list...LOL at me

Last edited by gloves; 03-12-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Gundo hack

Now I am thinking that if I go 1.5" v.s. 2" there's not going to be a whole lot of difference in sound and will give better flow. The shop has the 2" stainless pipe in stock and doesn't know if it caqn get 1.5" so NOW i'm thinking to go ahead with the 2" installation. Thoughts? Thanks for bearing with me...............

Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Gundo hack (finis)

Just ordered the 1.5" stainless pipe for Gundo hack and it will be here on Monday, after which the alteration will take place. Two members on previous posts also recommended the 1.5" pipe after they thought that the 2" pipe sounded a bit too loud to them. Tending to favor tone over loudness, I decided on the 1.5.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Follow-up report on 1.5" pipe

The 1.5' pipe is a vast improvement over stock exhaust on the 997.1. I had been concerned about the 2" pipe being a bit loud, but now I feel that that concern was unwarranted since the 1.5" pipe is a bit "tame". I haven't actually heard the 2" pipe in the "flesh" but I DON'T think that it would be too loud. Definitely do NOT go smaller than 1.5" pipe............

Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
Interesting... pls post a sound clip if you have the time.

How close does it get to the PSE sound?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gundo hack using 1" pipe v.s 2" pipe