997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 C2S Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 AM
rocket911 is infamous around these parts
997 C2S Exhaust Question

Finally have my dream car: 09 C2S sports chrono, manual... I am interested in changing the exhaust and have done some homework. I've seen several videos-Tubi-Fabspeed-AWE ETC. the Tubi Style has the throaty sound I am looking for on video but I am apprehensive about making a decision based on a video. My previous toy was a Dinan Tuned BMW 335 I with a activeautowerks exhaust that droned terribly at low rpm. Obviously I want to avoid this in my porsche. Any first hand knowledge or opinion would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure how to convey this. As you note, even the videos don't properly capture the sounds accurately. But I have a Fabspeed setup. First just the mufflers, now the x-pipe and a set of equal-length headers. Couldn't be happier. No droning. I have a cab, and I'm not sure if that would make droning better or worse but no issues at all.
There are many good ones, but I've been completely completely satisfied with it. That said, I'd also add a CAI. It adds a lot of great sound, and definitely some power, at high RPM's and WOT.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
I also have an 09 C2S.
I am very happy with my Tubi exhaust...as you said..deep, throaty, exotic sound without any drone.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rocket911
Finally have my dream car: 09 C2S sports chrono, manual... I am interested in changing the exhaust and have done some homework. I've seen several videos-Tubi-Fabspeed-AWE ETC. the Tubi Style has the throaty sound I am looking for on video but I am apprehensive about making a decision based on a video. My previous toy was a Dinan Tuned BMW 335 I with a activeautowerks exhaust that droned terribly at low rpm. Obviously I want to avoid this in my porsche. Any first hand knowledge or opinion would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!
My advice is to find people in your area or not far from you on this forum that have such exhausts. Hopefully, you can go hear them and they will take you for a ride so you can hear them at different RPM levels. Everyone on this site will have a different opinion on what sounds good, what is loud or not and what has drone. Before you spend the money to get any of them (the cheapest full exhaust is probably $4,500 headers, CATs & mufflers. Tubi and Cargraphics are much more $), I would try to hear them in person.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
i run full fabspeed exhaust and can't be happier

Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
I was also interested in changing the exhaust when I first got the car..thought it sounded a bit wimpy. But after driving it for a while sorta like it and since it is my daily driver thought any aftermarket exhaust might be too much.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bosco42
I also have an 09 C2S.
I am very happy with my Tubi exhaust...as you said..deep, throaty, exotic sound without any drone.
+1 for TUBI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqhS1Tbu2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMH6B...eature=related

Last edited by JmanE55; 03-15-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
We have included a lot of videos on the exhaust section of our site and I think you will find a nice variety of brands, you may find it very helpful. If you end up buying one of the systems that we sell, even if you don't buy it from us, please feel free to write a review about it in our e-commerce store. It will help your fellow Porsche enthusiasts buy a product that is right for them. We will not edit or delete and product reviews on our site.

http://66.147.244.178/~rpmnorth/products/index.php?cPath=21_617_1039&osCsid=ae6d9f528052409 c45a9e184f401792e

Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
911-CAR is infamous around these parts
We really love the sound of our Carrera.
Fabspeed maxflo muffler (loud) + X-pipe. Deep/throaty sound, without being to loud/annoying.

To give you a idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lIgiP86zk

Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Bonerwall is infamous around these parts
First, be sure and separate the various comments/reviews based on whether it is about a 997.1 or a 997.2 - they are two different "beasts" with different exhaust designs and different sounds. Next you need to determine whether you just want a CAT Back set-up or want to include headers and 200-cell CATs. Again, it is a big difference in sound/performance gains/cost. Once you have determined what you are looking for then you can effectively judge the various inputs you get from this forum.

I have a 997.2 C4S and decided to go with a CAT Back set-up in order to maintain my Porsche warranty (a few Porsche dealers will not honor any mods done to these cars, but most will have no problem with the CAT Back set-up). I initially got a Fabspeed X-Pipe but it wasn't nearly loud enough, so I added the Fabspeed Maxflo Side Mufflers, still not loud and aggressive enough for me. Now I have a new version of the FVD Side Mufflers that completely delete the OEM Primary/Center Muffler or any need for other aftermarket X-Pipes or Crossover Pipes. This produces a fairly aggressive/deep/full sound (which I like!) at WOT and yet fairly tame at part throttle so as to not attract unwanted attention if necessary, all with absolutely no drone. I love it and FVD claims +15 HP/TQ, which I can't confirm with a dyno run, but it feels like it from my "butt dyno". Great fit and finish and outstanding customer service from Fhonda at FVD. I am working on a video and a full report and hope to post it soon. Please PM me if you need any more details.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bosco42
I also have an 09 C2S.
Think I'm ordering Tubi tomorrow :-)

Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Call Alex at Sharkwerks.com
He has the perfect center rear replacement. The are pros. The customer
in their shops are #1 Even over profits. His staff are experts. They try EVERYTHING
on their cars FIRST. They buy the new whatever model they need and Alex and the boys start their engineering on that car. When its perfect they put it on the market.
Even though your in NY they will talk to you all day long on the phone and can talk you through anything. You wont be dissapointed. They have been on Dreamcars on SpeedTV a couple times.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OldGuy
Call Alex at Sharkwerks.com
He has the perfect center rear replacement. The are pros. The customer
in their shops are #1 Even over profits. His staff are experts. They try EVERYTHING
on their cars FIRST. They buy the new whatever model they need and Alex and the boys start their engineering on that car. When its perfect they put it on the market.
Even though your in NY they will talk to you all day long on the phone and can talk you through anything. You wont be dissapointed. They have been on Dreamcars on SpeedTV a couple times.
Except that they believe CATs are a waste of money when many others on this forum believe this is THE piece of the exhaust that matters most. As I wrote, try to read as much as possible and hear the exhausts in person.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
R911 is infamous around these parts
i like the sound of tubi style

Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM
topspd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bonerwall
<snip> Now I have a new version of the FVD Side Mufflers that completely delete the OEM Primary/Center Muffler or any need for other aftermarket X-Pipes or Crossover Pipes. This produces a fairly aggressive/deep/full sound (which I like!) at WOT and yet fairly tame at part throttle so as to not attract unwanted attention if necessary, all with absolutely no drone. I love it and FVD claims +15 HP/TQ, which I can't confirm with a dyno run, but it feels like it from my "butt dyno". Great fit and finish and outstanding customer service from Fhonda at FVD. I am working on a video and a full report and hope to post it soon. Please PM me if you need any more details.
Can't wait to hear what FVD's 'bypass the center section' side mufflers sound like.. I really like the deep, throaty sound of my 997.1 in it's modified state and I'd like to recreate that with my 997.2 without having to change so many parts. I'm most interested in the RS1 center only and this FVD so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S Exhaust Question