997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 non S versus 997.2 S model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
All things being somewhat equal, I'd take the 09 C2 over the previous edition C2S. That coming from a big C2S fan and track guy. The new engines are really something, as are the new suspensions (Gen 2 PASM) and the PCM / Bluetooth / Universal Audio (assuming the C2 has them). I don't know that you'd ever be able to tell the difference between 355 and 345 HP on the same platform and the 09 will have warranty, etc.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
It can really come down to what you call "similar price and options".
The engine specs are close:
991.1 'S': 355 HP, 295 ft-lb
997.2 base: 345 HP, 288 ft-lb
But I haven't seen a direct overlay comparison of actual power or torque curves: peak specs don't tell the whole story - the new DFI engines might have a better overall power delivery.
Does similar options mean both have PASM? It is optional on the base Carrera and makes a big difference in ride quality & handling.
The 997.2 can be had with a factory iPod integration that works much nicer than the after-market ones for 997.1.

Bottom line: the performance is going to be so close between the models you are looking at you should try every one you can find and then buy the one you like the most. You really can't lose between them.

My 2 cents.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
Buy the newer NON -s unless of course you like the ticking time bomb otherwise known as IMS! Not to mention RMS!

The newer engine is by far the best reason to get the newer car!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
number9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the rough
Well, the new engine hasn't had enough model year cycles to determine its reliability. So it's a mixed bag--the devil you potentially know vs. the one you don't.

I just went shopping for OEM replacement tires (PS2s) and I think that for the price to buy, mount and balance them I could have a clutch job and do an IMS/RMS retrofit while I'm in there. How insane is that?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
IMS/RMS retrofit?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by White Rock
Looking at purchasing my first P car and wanted to get opinions on which model would be better performance wise. 2009-current (non S) model vs. a 997.1 S model?
If the $$$ difference is same or close. Get the 2009 non S. I don't think 10hp would make a difference. You will get the LEDs, new technologies like Ipod interphase and Blue Tooth and new touch control PCM. Plus a new DFI engine with out the IMS which has caused some problems in some cars.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
all good point and valid reasons to go with the non S. i guess if they were both 997.1 there would be more of a reason to go with the S.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
If I had 2 to choose from. Similar miles, price, options, ect... One was a 2009 non s and the other a 2007/8 S. what are your opinions. Max budget is $75K

I have seen a few '09 C2S listed for $79K w/CPO at dealers in ATL. One a PDK and one 6spd Cab. Look around for a bit - you may be able to do better than you think.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Looking at purchasing my first P car and wanted to get opinions on which model would be better performance wise. 2009-current (non S) model vs. a 997.1 S model?
In terms of performance the 997.1S and the 997.2 c2 is close. A PDK C2 might outrun a 997.1S if the driver shifting the car lacks the skill.

The problem is that if you buy the C2 --you'll want the new S .
If you buy the 997.1S -you will want the new S .

At these price levels it's a lot to spend on any car --even moreso if you select one but really wanted another.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i bought a c2 and never missed the difference, if you mod the car slightly u can make up for the difference.

i think the OP was asking 997.2 non S versus 997.1 S, i would go 997.2 non S as it kills the 997.1

couple friends have various 997's and the .2 is much faster than .1 IMO... friend with .2 non S with exhaust mods is neck and neck with .2 S without exhaust mods... both PDK. both in Auto.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 AM
jus587 is infamous around these parts
Have you made your decision?
I'd say go for the newer model. In the past, for any car, I used to choose range topper/higher range older car than middle range newer car.

I have newly bought 997.1 S but within days I became so jealous of the Gen2's new lights, interior(PCM). For someone who knows nothing about Porsche, it's hard to differentiate two cars, but not if you own one!
My neighbor who just traded his 997.1 to 997.2 doesn't help...

I had to also put mObridge bluetooth kit for my car which wasn't cheap either.

As many said already, if you can afford the newer car then go for it!!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
With every response the decision gets tougher. I do agree that if I get the 997.2 non S, then yes I will probably wish I could have got the 997.2 S. But if the 997.2 S is out of the picture, I am probably leaning toward the 997.2 non S instead of the 997.1 S. Eventually like to add a SC or Turbo does that make a difference with the 3.6 vs 3.8 engine?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
With every response the decision gets tougher. I do agree that if I get the 997.2 non S, then yes I will probably wish I could have got the 997.2 S. But if the 997.2 S is out of the picture, I am probably leaning toward the 997.2 non S instead of the 997.1 S. Eventually like to add a SC or Turbo does that make a difference with the 3.6 vs 3.8 engine?
There was a quote from someone on this board that said, "buying a car is a journey, not a destination..." You will always want something better than what you have. I cannot speak for everyone here on this board. But in my opinion, newer is better. The best Porsche is always the next one. So in your case, go for the Gen2, non S or S. You will be happier in the long run.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough

Generally you'll find that posters that have lived with both .1 and .2 recommend you go for the .2, even if that means a non-S. Reasons seem fairly consistent, the ones that come immediately to mind being:
  • better engines
  • much better nav/pcm
  • an actual workable factory phone/ipod solution
  • if auto is your thing then PDK vs. trip
Having had both personally I say buy the .2

Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 AM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
If you get a non S you will be questioning yourself everytime a GT3 or older TT leaves you in the dust. Plus the C2S will be better for Resale.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 non S versus 997.2 S model