997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any thoughts on in-car Cameras for video?!!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Any thoughts on in-car Cameras for video?!!?

I have been looking for a camera set up to help those driver event lessons sink in better! I looked at Contour HD 1080, GoPro, SmartyCam and some DSLR options. Does anyone have a favorite or any experience???
Any favorite mounts for the cams????

Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 AM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
I have a Go Pro and love it.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I bought one of these. It clamps to the windshield. I just mount my Lumix ZS3 (it takes hi def video). The picture is upside down, but it can be flipped in iMovie or other apps. It is amazing how image stabilization mitigates any shaking of the camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Panavise-809-C.../ref=pd_cp_p_0

Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MTGTS
I have a Go Pro and love it.
The GoPro was my first choice, based on several recent reviews by action/sports magazines. My only concern was that I wanted to mount it on the inside rear hatch glass, looking between the seats. The wide angle of the lens gives a bit of a 'fish-eye' look to the vehicle if placed there. Have you experienced similar things?? It seems that the best mounting for that cam is up front somewhere or on the exterior of the car? Do you agree?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I bought one of these. It clamps to the windshield. I just mount my Lumix ZS3 (it takes hi def video). The picture is upside down, but it can be flipped in iMovie or other apps. It is amazing how image stabilization mitigates any shaking of the camera.

I am going to check out the Lumix cam! I wonder if new video cams like the Kodak Playsport can be mounted with that panavise. That would be cool since the kodak is only $150!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine

OK ken, this camera looks great! but, I read that the format that the camera uses for HD vids is hard to work with. I think it was like ACHV lite or something. I have a mac and they said it was not compatible. How do you make it work!?!?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
I thought those cameras were only good for recording yourself while escaping the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYrGaf1wJc

Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM
OK ken, this camera looks great! but, I read that the format that the camera uses for HD vids is hard to work with. I think it was like ACHV lite or something. I have a mac and they said it was not compatible. How do you make it work!?!?
There are 2 formats, and I don't use the ACHV lite format. It works fine in my iMovie09. Also, with both wide angle and zoom of this Leica lens, you have lots of choices on what you want to view. When I had my Targa, I was able to mount it on the glass top and retract it to a position where I could pick up dash and view out window. I expect you could do the same by mounting it on the rear window, but the challenge is trying to operate the camera back there. The windshield is the most convenient for that.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
The GoPro was my first choice, based on several recent reviews by action/sports magazines. My only concern was that I wanted to mount it on the inside rear hatch glass, looking between the seats. The wide angle of the lens gives a bit of a 'fish-eye' look to the vehicle if placed there. Have you experienced similar things?? It seems that the best mounting for that cam is up front somewhere or on the exterior of the car? Do you agree?
I always mount mine outside the car. There are a couple different recording options. One of them is a narrower field of vision.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys, the responses are always appreciated!
I have to look into the format issues and make sure that I can import into iMovies and make them look good. I think that the ZS3 makes nice MPEGS too, and they work on the mac. I only wonder if the quality will be really good, since it is compressed video. It would be nice to get the panasonic over the GoPro, since I can tell my wife that it is a camera for her. If I got her the GoPro, I can see her beating me to death with it when I am asleep. I can't stop thinking how cool of a video you could make by mounting GoPro on the front bumper!
It seems that the Contour HD is a much more rare item. Few people seem to have experience with it!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !

I too read some reviews and watched their website videos and decided to buy one!

Because of the wide angle lens....if you are trying to focus on something in particular(speedo or tach).....the Go-pro needs to be close to it!

I am not too impressed with my Go-pro.....in my car and even the wifes car the sound didn't sound good at all! It seemed to pick up electrical interference.If you have it on the low setting you can't hear it at all!
I wouldn't buy another one!

Stacy

Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
I have one of these:

http://www.vio-pov.com

Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Fskof
I have one of these:

http://www.vio-pov.com
It looks awesome!

Can you give me a quick review of your experiences? I trust this board better than the "testimonials" that I see on websites!
Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
It looks awesome!

Can you give me a quick review of your experiences? I trust this board better than the "testimonials" that I see on websites!
Thanks again!

I just ordered it and should get it in two days. I cant wait to try it out!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks, it really looks like a great system. I can't wait to see how well it works. Let me know how the first vid comes out. It seems like a quality item, but quality is expensive. My wife wouldn't understand
I went ahead and bought one of the panasonics that Ken has. I also got the panavise holder. I am going to try it our since it was on sale for $200. It turns out that the ACHVD-lite video format is now fully supported by iMovie and it will import right in as a 720P video. If it is no good for the car, I guess I can make some vids of my puppy or something!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on in-car Cameras for video?!!?