997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 Year Service? Dan Jacobs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. Berlin
im not saying you should cut corners to save a buck. all im saying is just because you have an expensive car doesnt mean you need to get ripped off on its service. When i talked to the service rep at my porsche dealership he said the only thing i need to do to keep the 4 year/50k warranty active is get the yearly maintenance check up. it runs about $150 at the dealership. thats the only work you should get done there. the rest can and should be outsourced.
I don't believe this is completely true. The warranty is 4 years/50K miles period, with few exceptions (abuse, track use, consumables). You don't have to "check-in" with your dealer once per year to keep your warranty in tact.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Mr. Berlin is infamous around these parts
probably not, but from what he told me is it will be tougher for you to solve warranty related issues through Porsche because as of late they have tightened up on what they will consider to be within warranty limits. Regardless, that is something i dont mind paying and to have on record. What i wont do is drop 180 on an oil change when it only costs 70 at my shop. or 500 for brake fluids when my guys told me they will do it for an hour of labor.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
My dealership wants $599 for the first year service which they tell me includes an oil change, cleaning the drains at the bottom of the car, checking the system for fault codes and a general inspection. When I asked about the prices of an oil change alone they quoted me $259. I'm thinking about going that route because I can check and clean the drains myself and I have my own professional OBDII scan tool (Equus Innova 3160). I know it's not as comprehensive as a Durametric and no where near as comprehensive as the factory PIWIS system but if I plug my scanner in and no codes come up then (in theory) they won't with the other systems either. I really hate the idea of paying the dealer and extra $300 just to plug the PIWIS system in and have it read no codes. I think that's a complete rip-off.

On the other hand if I plug in my scanner and a code comes up then I would certainly want the dealer to plug in the PIWIS system to see what code it is, make the repair and clear the code but the car is under warrantee so they should do that at no cost.

The whole OBD II thing always seemed like a "black art" to me which is why I invested in a professional scan tool in the first place so I could at least confirm on my own there really is a problem and not have to take a dealer's word for it.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Here's a solution. Have the service done and have the brake flush done somewhere else. They want $350 for the brake flush. My 20k dealer service was about $500 and they found some warranty things to take care of. And my local indi did the brake flush for $89 with Motul 600. while under warranty, it is good to take it to the dealer. BUT, I'm coming up for rear brake pads. Absolutely no reason to have the dealer change them...